What's your day job?

General Biker Banter
Kev L

Re: What's your day job?

Post by Kev L »

Oooooh tetchy wee man! :lol:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
Watty

Post by Watty »

Kev L wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:21 am Oooooh tetchy wee man! :lol:
:lol:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

wonker
eatpasta

Post by eatpasta »

I worked in television for many years and loved it but it was too many hours. The money was awesome though.

Finally had a baby and moved out of the city for a low paying computer job but I actually get to see my wife and kid now!
We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.
T. S. Eliot
Watty

Post by Watty »

eatpasta wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:23 pm I worked in television for many years and loved it but it was too many hours. The money was awesome though.

Finally had a baby and moved out of the city for a low paying computer job but I actually get to see my wife and kid now!
That is priceless mate :thumbup:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Currently one handed thumb twidling...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Loo Kahs

Post by Loo Kahs »

Electrician ... seems to be a love/hate relationship
Last edited by Loo Kahs on Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eatpasta

Post by eatpasta »

Watty wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:37 pm
eatpasta wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:23 pm I worked in television for many years and loved it but it was too many hours. The money was awesome though.

That is priceless mate :thumbup:
leaving my old job meant being being a lot more broke a lot more of the time but what good ever came from a dad being away from the family that he provided lots of money to?

None is right!

I had a few friends growing up that had money and their dads were never around. It's a bad recipe.

I wanna be around for my kids and my wife. Why else would you have them?

:biggrin
We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.
T. S. Eliot
Loo Kahs

Post by Loo Kahs »

eatpasta wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:11 pm leaving my old job meant being being a lot more broke a lot more of the time but what good ever came from a dad being away from the family that he provided lots of money to?

None is right!

I had a few friends growing up that had money and their dads were never around. It's a bad recipe.

Looking on the bright side, one year in London and I have confirmed for myself that life is bullshit and a rather ironic one. Get on the tube one day and you are surrounded by faces of misery rushing to their shitty jobs. You will see adverts everywhere for fancy, expensive mattresses that will solve your tiredness, or Air BnB managers to manage your portfolio of properties for the ripping off of tenants... and we just continue as it is without ever stopping and having a look around us.

Eh
Last edited by Loo Kahs on Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Solarboy

Post by Solarboy »

Loo Kahs wrote:
eatpasta wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:11 pm

Looking on the bright side, one year in London and I have confirmed for myself that life is bullshit and a rather ironic one. Get on the tube one day and you are surrounded by faces of misery rushing to their shitty jobs. You will see adverts everywhere for fancy, expensive mattresses that will solve your tiredness, or Air BnB managers to manage your portfolio of properties for the ripping off of tenants... and we just continue as it is without ever stopping and having a look around us.

Eh
Amen to that brother. "Work to live" not "live to work"! Find a balance and enjoy your life. We only get one shot.....
If we don't learn from our mistakes we are destin to repeat them
BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

lloydie wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:13 pmwonker
As in Willy?

I write stuff for tech companies that think their sh1t and shovel is the latest and greatest. Thinking of maybe driving a bus when I get to Glasgow as there seems to always be vacancies - wonder why??
VTR3545

Post by VTR3545 »

Fireman for 24 year...now emergency response tech at an oil terminal....posh name for fireman/medic and jetty operator

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

eatpasta

Post by eatpasta »

Solarboy wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:49 pm
Loo Kahs wrote:
eatpasta wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:11 pm

Eh
Amen to that brother. "Work to live" not "live to work"! Find a balance and enjoy your life. We only get one shot.....
Loo Kahs wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:00 am
eatpasta wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:11 pm leaving my old job meant being being a lot more broke a lot more of the time but what good ever came from a dad being away from the family that he provided lots of money to?

None is right!

Mh... I always struggled to understand that. It has only been a year since I've moved to London, but it's crazy to see the hours a lot of people work. Regardless of whether they have a partner and children... don't people have other things to do in life? Hobbies, interests, family or friends?

I start on time and as far as possible always try to leave on time (meaning that I'm first to leave...) and even then it does not leave me with much time for other things. Spend time together chatting with my other half, get food going, eat, chill and it's bed time. I can't comprehend what people do that stay in the office till 8 or later everyday. It literally must be just a routine of sleeping and working.

As you said, you may be money rich but time poor and what good is that?

And the children thing makes the above even worse. Makes me wonder whether people do it 'because that's what you do' rather than out of genuine want for kids. What life is it if they cannot see you and you cannot spend time with them? I don't understand.

Eh
how's that story go about the gringo businessman that goes to Baja and meets the fisherman?

the fisherman is happy, fishes a little and sells his fish. Hangs out with his family at the end of the day and plays guitar with his friends. The gringo suggests that he be more ambitious and buy another boat, hire a couple of people, catch more fish, get a few more boats...build his empire... so that someday he can make enough money to hang out with his family and play guitar with his friends...?

it was fun for a while to have a high profile job, see my name in the credits of a #1 TV show. I'm proud of the work that I did but I'm more proud of being a dad and perhaps maybe someday a great dad.

ImageUntitled
T. S. Eliot
Solarboy

Post by Solarboy »

eatpasta wrote:
Loo Kahs wrote: Amen to that brother. "Work to live" not "live to work"! Find a balance and enjoy your life. We only get one shot.....
Loo Kahs wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:00 am

Mh... I always struggled to understand that. It has only been a year since I've moved to London, but it's crazy to see the hours a lot of people work. Regardless of whether they have a partner and children... don't people have other things to do in life? Hobbies, interests, family or friends?

I start on time and as far as possible always try to leave on time (meaning that I'm first to leave...) and even then it does not leave me with much time for other things. Spend time together chatting with my other half, get food going, eat, chill and it's bed time. I can't comprehend what people do that stay in the office till 8 or later everyday. It literally must be just a routine of sleeping and working.

As you said, you may be money rich but time poor and what good is that?

And the children thing makes the above even worse. Makes me wonder whether people do it 'because that's what you do' rather than out of genuine want for kids. What life is it if they cannot see you and you cannot spend time with them? I don't understand.

Eh

it was fun for a while to have a high profile job, see my name in the credits of a #1 TV show. I'm proud of the work that I did but I'm more proud of being a dad and perhaps maybe someday a great dad.

ImageUntitled
Okay, I have to ask, what was the TV show? Do we have a star in our midsts?
If we don't learn from our mistakes we are destin to repeat them
eatpasta

Post by eatpasta »

Solarboy wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:05 am
eatpasta wrote:

ImageUntitled
Okay, I have to ask, what was the TV show? Do we have a star in our midsts?
Not even a little...

Its called the World Poker Tour. I worked as a Video Editor on it for 13 seasons and I'm pretty proud of the result. Poker is boring - making it not boring is a lot of work.

I did also work on a bunch of other shows such as Dr. Phil and other stuff for Discovery etc but nothing as cool as something like Top Gear etc

I miss the paycheck but I dont miss the hours...
T. S. Eliot