What's your day job?

General Biker Banter
Solarboy

Re: What's your day job?

Post by Solarboy »

Sounds like it was fun! In life we tend to be either money rich or time rich, sometimes if we're lucky both! I'm sure you'll be a great dad, just always try and make time for the little ones.
If we don't learn from our mistakes we are destin to repeat them
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

ts called the World Poker Tour. I worked as a Video Editor on it for 13 seasons and I'm pretty proud of the result. Poker is boring - making it not boring is a lot of work.
An Avid and Smoke user then. Did you get to do much composition work or was it all cut and splice.
==============================Enter the Darkside
eatpasta

Post by eatpasta »

Solarboy wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:34 pm Sounds like it was fun! In life we tend to be either money rich or time rich, sometimes if we're lucky both! I'm sure you'll be a great dad, just always try and make time for the little ones.
I was well on my way to being money rich until I bought a condo in a tourist town. If I never would have never had kids and kept my TV job in LA, I would be driving a Ferrari by now.

Wouldnt change it for the world.

....would be nice to have a Ferrari though...

:lol:
We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.
T. S. Eliot
Loo Kahs

Post by Loo Kahs »

eatpasta wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:49 pm I was well on my way to being money rich until I bought a condo in a tourist town. If I never would have never had kids and kept my TV job in LA, I would be driving a Ferrari by now.

What sort of hours were you doing? Was the decision to leave purely based on long hours or other factors as well?

I also find it odd how when you finish school you have to make the decision of your life. Sure, if you're determined and willing to take some risks you can usually change your career path. But once you got bills to pay, it becomes more tricky to do so. Anyway. Just think, that without having done any real work in your life or experienced a few different jobs you have to sign up yourself for 5 year or however long it takes to study something with the hope that you may like it!

The reason I've gone into architecture doesn't quite match reality (what did I know?) and it appears that if you were to move up the ladder, it takes you further and further away from the original desire. It's just 99% coordination and email writing for lousy pay.
eatpasta

Post by eatpasta »

Loo Kahs wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:40 am
eatpasta wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:49 pm I was well on my way to being money rich until I bought a condo in a tourist town. If I never would have never had kids and kept my TV job in LA, I would be driving a Ferrari by now.

What sort of hours were you doing? Was the decision to leave purely based on long hours or other factors as well?

I also find it odd how when you finish school you have to make the decision of your life. Sure, if you're determined and willing to take some risks you can usually change your career path. But once you got bills to pay, it becomes more tricky to do so. Anyway. Just think, that without having done any real work in your life or experienced a few different jobs you have to sign up yourself for 5 year or however long it takes to study something with the hope that you may like it!

The reason I've gone into architecture doesn't quite match reality (what did I know?) and it appears that if you were to move up the ladder, it takes you further and further away from the original desire. It's just 99% coordination and email writing for lousy pay.
The hours varied but my normal day was about 10 hours. Occasionally things would be easy - the beginning of the season is notoriously slow whereas the end of the season is always a sh1t show.

By my 13th season there, 12 and 14 hour days were normal and 20 hour days weren't uncommon.

Toward the end, I was eating all my meals at work and even sleeping there so the show could get delivered on time.

I put in 20,000 hours in about 10 years which, by their standards, is nearly an entire career. In fact, they told me that if I put in 20k hours, I would get vested benefits for life. I got to 19k hours so fast that when I asked about it, they told me that I needed to do an entire year AFTER I turned 40. That union is full of lying sacks of $h!t.... they screwed me royally. That and no retirement. Actually, I take that back - I got retirement but it amounts to about $3500.

If I was doing 8 hour days all year with no vacation, that gets me to ~2k hours in a year. My hiatus was between 2 and 3 months every year, so I got to 20k hours in half the time you are supposed to, not even working year round.

So that gives you an idea of what I was doing - which was averaging 12-14 hours a day.

Honestly, I would have stuck with it if I could but the company kept getting bought and every time someone would buy it, they would slash the budgets and expect more work. By the time some Chinese company got their hands on the show, I was totally done.
We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.
T. S. Eliot
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

eatpasta wrote:
Solarboy wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:49 pm
Loo Kahs wrote: Amen to that brother. "Work to live" not "live to work"! Find a balance and enjoy your life. We only get one shot.....
Loo Kahs wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:00 am

Mh... I always struggled to understand that. It has only been a year since I've moved to London, but it's crazy to see the hours a lot of people work. Regardless of whether they have a partner and children... don't people have other things to do in life? Hobbies, interests, family or friends?

I start on time and as far as possible always try to leave on time (meaning that I'm first to leave...) and even then it does not leave me with much time for other things. Spend time together chatting with my other half, get food going, eat, chill and it's bed time. I can't comprehend what people do that stay in the office till 8 or later everyday. It literally must be just a routine of sleeping and working.

As you said, you may be money rich but time poor and what good is that?

And the children thing makes the above even worse. Makes me wonder whether people do it 'because that's what you do' rather than out of genuine want for kids. What life is it if they cannot see you and you cannot spend time with them? I don't understand.

Looking on the bright side, one year in London and I have confirmed for myself that life is bullshit and a rather ironic one. Get on the tube one day and you are surrounded by faces of misery rushing to their shitty jobs. You will see adverts everywhere for fancy, expensive mattresses that will solve your tiredness, or Air BnB managers to manage your portfolio of properties for the ripping off of tenants... and we just continue as it is without ever stopping and having a look around us.

Eh
how's that story go about the gringo businessman that goes to Baja and meets the fisherman?

the fisherman is happy, fishes a little and sells his fish. Hangs out with his family at the end of the day and plays guitar with his friends. The gringo suggests that he be more ambitious and buy another boat, hire a couple of people, catch more fish, get a few more boats...build his empire... so that someday he can make enough money to hang out with his family and play guitar with his friends...?

it was fun for a while to have a high profile job, see my name in the credits of a #1 TV show. I'm proud of the work that I did but I'm more proud of being a dad and perhaps maybe someday a great dad.

ImageUntitled
Never mind all that!
Is that your kid with the bike and spanner?
It's moments like that which are priceless and what's living is all about. Bugger the money!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
oldburnthippy

Post by oldburnthippy »

+1

I retired three years ago, moved to the middle of nowhere. I work as a school bus driver, 36 weeks a year.

I walk home from my bus through a small village where everyone says hello, smiles and doesn't care how old your car is.

My missus, also retired, cooks great meals from home grown veg.

My income is a quarter of what it was four years ago, and really I couldn't care less.

Until I need a new bike :roll:
My darling wife has many faults
But I have only two
Every bloody thing I say
And everything I do
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

oldburnthippy wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:51 am +1

I retired three years ago, moved to the middle of nowhere. I work as a school bus driver, 36 weeks a year.

I walk home from my bus through a small village where everyone says hello, smiles and doesn't care how old your car is.

My missus, also retired, cooks great meals from home grown veg.

My income is a quarter of what it was four years ago, and really I couldn't care less.

Until I need a new bike :roll:
Sounds like a lovely life.I also retired to the back and beyond in a village abroad (Spain).Had a lovely relaxed life there,but due to circumstances i had to come back.So i've been back in UK for the 5 years struggling in the rat race again.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Stop moaning, you live in the sleepy little hamlet that is Watford! What more could you want? :lol:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Kev L wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:30 am Stop moaning, you live in the sleepy little hamlet that is Watford! What more could you want? :lol:
The retirement home is certainly nice and quiet.Nice game of bingo livens us all up though.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
eatpasta

Post by eatpasta »

Pete.L wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:32 pm
eatpasta wrote:
Solarboy wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:49 pm

how's that story go about the gringo businessman that goes to Baja and meets the fisherman?

the fisherman is happy, fishes a little and sells his fish. Hangs out with his family at the end of the day and plays guitar with his friends. The gringo suggests that he be more ambitious and buy another boat, hire a couple of people, catch more fish, get a few more boats...build his empire... so that someday he can make enough money to hang out with his family and play guitar with his friends...?

it was fun for a while to have a high profile job, see my name in the credits of a #1 TV show. I'm proud of the work that I did but I'm more proud of being a dad and perhaps maybe someday a great dad.

ImageUntitled
Never mind all that!
Is that your kid with the bike and spanner?
It's moments like that which are priceless and what's living is all about. Bugger the money!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, thats my boy. I bought that XR70 recently and whenever we get a chance, we go ride it around.

We are lucky enough to know a family with 1000 acres not 15 minutes from out place, so we try to get out there from time to time!

and I totally agree with you about the money. Everyone that i know that is screwed up, grew up with money and absent parents. I refuse to be the dad thats just gone all the time. I would rather be broke and with my family than anything

T. S. Eliot
Loo Kahs

Post by Loo Kahs »

I suppose the bigger problem is owning a home.

Once you fully own a place, there's not really that much expenditure besides food, travel, expenses and maintenance. So, unless you're trying to keep up some fancy lifestyle, you could easily get by with a few day's work.

When you're paying £20k a year for a place to live (i.e. paying off someone else's mortgage), while simultaneously having to find money for food, travel and preferably save some up for a deposit... it neatly traps you in the rat race.

Cannot wait to get some land and just wombles off.