crash protection frame sliders

General Biker Banter
monkeymatt

crash protection frame sliders

Post by monkeymatt »

Looking for opinions as I got tired of trying to find good frame sliders without butchering bodywork or having some huge bracket with a blob of nylon sticking out so I am making my own .
Not quite furnished yet but very close.
Aircraft grade aluminium

vanstub

Re: crash protection frame sliders

Post by vanstub »

nice bit of bling
they staying alu or are you powder coating them
Life's too short for plain biscuits :thumbup:
monkeymatt

Post by monkeymatt »

vanstub wrote:nice bit of bling
they staying alu or are you powder coating them

To be honest I'm really not sure .may Polish them as the frame is polished but then again I quite like the idea of powder coating the bracket to give a different contrast
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Skillful work Matt 8)

Chris.
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

They look well smart :thumbup:
Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

very nice :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Wouldn't like to take that on a track day !!!
Looks pucka tho
macdee

Post by macdee »

Very nice work you should have a few up on here for sale
how does the Alu compare to plastic on the sliding end of things ,would it be more or less friction
told you not to but oh no you knew better
VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

They look smart. I was also looking for the same but also swing arm and fork ones. Not sure what they cost you to make but maybe if you sold them and maybe offered anodised options as well?

Maybe a bit of testing though as macdee says. Don't want them to dig in and catapult the bike on a slide.

If you consider making to sell let me know a price as would be interested.
If it aint broke, get your bloody hands off it!
monkeymatt

Post by monkeymatt »

VTR Phoenix wrote:They look smart. I was also looking for the same but also swing arm and fork ones. Not sure what they cost you to make but maybe if you sold them and maybe offered anodised options as well?

Maybe a bit of testing though as macdee says. Don't want them to dig in and catapult the bike on a slide.

If you consider making to sell let me know a price as would be interested.

Funnily enough after I have finished these off the next project will be fork and swingarm sliders again in alu and probably anodised to match the colours of the bike .
As for friction what i can say is the nylon sliders stand up very well I just found the main supports tend to bend or snap off all together. Without throwing a bike down the road on its side to get a comparison what I done was put a nylon slider on a bench grinder and watched it dissappear. Also done the same on the aluminium end I made as they are a "soft" metal they wear just as much but it takes longer for them to wear away .
As for pressure testing on a set of nylon frame sliders initially I found they bent very easily as the main strength was the bolt fixing .
I have done the same with what I have made up yes the strength is the bolt fixing however due to the area being far bigger I. E these sit on top of the fame lattice not just a bolt they didn't bend .
On both cases tho if any frame slider was to bend it would probably result in the frame being beyond repair however at least my engine may survive.
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

be careful matt, you came very close to sounding intelligent in your last post...... :lol: :lol: :lol:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
TravisZack

Post by TravisZack »

I didn't fancy cutting the fairing either so bought GSG crash protectors, which I'm guessing these are based on. A bit of 1mm rubber matting on the frame side stops the top of the mount and grub screws digging in to the metal (or in my case powdercoat) and creates a snug fit. They almost disappear when painted black too.

You can see the rubber matting here

I used plastidip, which has held up well
monkeymatt

Post by monkeymatt »

TravisZack wrote:I didn't fancy cutting the fairing either so bought GSG crash protectors, which I'm guessing these are based on. A bit of 1mm rubber matting on the frame side stops the top of the mount and grub screws digging in to the metal (or in my case powdercoat) and creates a snug fit. They almost disappear when painted black too.

You can see the rubber matting here

I used plastidip, which has held up well

195 usd wow
Look very similar. I just didn't want to chop the bodywork nor have huge brackets over the frame.
I have tried to turn them into part of the bike not just an added extra that has been added and looks out of place.not many good sets available anymore for the storm.

monkeymatt

Post by monkeymatt »

Today I've polished and powder coated the bracket .

TravisZack

Post by TravisZack »

They were £100, but the only ones that took my fancy!

Yours look good :thumbup:
monkeymatt wrote:I have tried to turn them into part of the bike not just an added extra that has been added and looks out of place
are you painting the frame black too?