Cycling ride thread 2016

General Biker Banter
Jamoi

Cycling ride thread 2016

Post by Jamoi »

Well it's a new year and there's new challenges on the horizon!

Having recently got back into cycling and as I know a few of us here are into it & it helps your motorcycle fitness amongst many other motorcycling benefits. Here's the 2016 cycling thread, for general abuse, bragging & support.
Jamie :wave:
Jamoi

Re: Cycling ride thread 2016

Post by Jamoi »

I bought this Eddy Merckx road bike last week (my first road bike) for a measly £100. It looked like this: Image The front brake was seized and the seat post was also seized in place. The rear sprockets slipped the chain under load.

I set to work making it my own :thumbup:
With a £100 budget I stripped and rebuilt it.

Here she is finished. Image

Took it for a shakedown run today and managed 78 miles, a personal best for me.

My right knee and shoulder are killing me, so I'm currently reading up on how to fix that :crazy: I might just burn the bike and get the Storm out next time :lol:
chric

Post by chric »

Both mine now prefer to go on these than motorbikes now

can do 30 plus miles now good considering could do about 6-7 when i first started
Ill never be a sell out storm forever
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

My right knee and shoulder are killing me, so I'm currently reading up on how to fix that :crazy:
Cowhorn handlebars and one of these for the knee > http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bik ... 987/90635/ :D
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

after the holiday man flu / real flu, i eventually got out for a very gentle ride today.....very gentle.

jamie,
your aches will be to do with the bike set up. seat height, cleat position, position of the bars etc..... and the fact you didn't work up to that milage gently to get your body used to the position!!!!!! stupid boy :lol:
AMcQ
-Floris-

Post by -Floris- »

@Jamoi, very nice transformation! Really made it a retro-looking bike :thumbup: :clap:

Here's my part

Started biking 3 years ago with the mountainbike, a Cube Analog 2013 26" -er

Recently bought this bike to go along with it, a so called "gravelracer/adventure bike". Kona Rove Al 2015
Here she is with the standard tires, I have swapped them for some bigger, more knobby tires.

It's sad that, in our blindness we gather thorns for flowers
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Nice work Jamoi. How did you get the seatpost out? I had an alloy one seized in a steel frame and couldn't shift it for love nor money.

Current commuter

XC bike

Freeride bike
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

chric wrote:Both mine now prefer to go on these than motorbikes now

can do 30 plus miles now good considering could do about 6-7 when i first started
That's good mileage on a MTB mate & they look as clean as the Storm :thumbup:
Wicky wrote:
My right knee and shoulder are killing me, so I'm currently reading up on how to fix that :crazy:
Cowhorn handlebars and one of these for the knee > http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bik ... 987/90635/ :D
Yes a big motor would be great ;) Preferably a V-twin ic engine around 1000cc and... :lol:
AMCQ46 wrote:after the holiday man flu / real flu, i eventually got out for a very gentle ride today.....very gentle.

jamie,
your aches will be to do with the bike set up. seat height, cleat position, position of the bars etc..... and the fact you didn't work up to that milage gently to get your body used to the position!!!!!! stupid boy :lol:
Cheers Al, I noticed you got some miles in, how did the knee feel? I think you're totally right about my bike fit being to blame for my painful knee. I have been watching videos & reading everything available about bike set up. Had a good go at tweaking it all, but only moved things by 10mm here and 20mm there. So hopefully that will make a difference.

Q, do your heels point inwards when you're clipped in or are you more straight footed?
-Floris- wrote:@Jamoi, very nice transformation! Really made it a retro-looking bike :thumbup: :clap:

Here's my part

Started biking 3 years ago with the mountainbike, a Cube Analog 2013 26" -er

Recently bought this bike to go along with it, a so called "gravelracer/adventure bike". Kona Rove Al 2015
Here she is with the standard tires, I have swapped them for some bigger, more knobby tires.

Cheers! Very nice collection, your garage look superbly tidy and free from general accumulated crap which seems to plague me.
freeridenick wrote:Nice work Jamoi. How did you get the seatpost out? I had an alloy one seized in a steel frame and couldn't shift it for love nor money.

Current commuter

XC bike

Freeride bike
Very nice, I'd like to have a good off road blast on that last one, looks beastly :)

I had to cut the top of the post off and then using a hacksaw blade I made two oposing cuts down the length of the tube which got them moving and loose. Took so long though!! Image
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Very nice, I'd like to have a good off road blast on that last one, looks beastly :)
I had to cut the top of the post off and then using a hacksaw blade I made two oposing cuts down the length of the tube which got them moving and loose. Took so long though!!
It's like a downhill bike for ten or fifteen years ago. Very flattering. :D

You've clearly got far more patients then me, and stronger forearms.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Jamie, 10 and 20mm on bike fit is pretty big, so it could make a lot of difference.

My heels point in on the pedals, so have to angle the cleats a fair bit to get the correct alignment
AMcQ
-Floris-

Post by -Floris- »

Cheers! Very nice collection, your garage look superbly tidy and free from general accumulated crap which seems to plague me.
Thanks! Haha that's only because you don't see the other half... :eek2
It's sad that, in our blindness we gather thorns for flowers
NZSpokes

Post by NZSpokes »

Jamie, is that bike anywhere close to the right size for you?
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Love the full MTB, I ride it everywhere, altough I have road bike as well.

Stolen, great one for me

And current bike, better equipped but a bit heavier, both were bought used with clear history

AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Anybody get into ride London? I got my rejection letter today.... But that was a blessing as my knee won't be ready for 100miles by July

How did you get on George?
AMcQ
geodude

Post by geodude »

AMCQ46 wrote:Anybody get into ride London? I got my rejection letter today.... But that was a blessing as my knee won't be ready for 100miles by July

How did you get on George?
I didn't get a ballot spot, but am entering with Cancer Research UK this year, through work :biggrin

No messing about this year. Going to smash it!!!

Loving the thread. Nice one Jamoi!

If any of you want a tour of the new forest, either MTB or Road, let me know :thumbup:
“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
“He who rides fastest, rides alone!"
YouTube Website Facebook Bike accessories