How many posts do I need

General Biker Banter
Stu9

How many posts do I need

Post by Stu9 »

Before I reply to a for sale ad as saw something but there's no "reply" and can't pm either
AMCQ46

Re: How many posts do I need

Post by AMCQ46 »

50 posts opens all the doors
AMcQ
Stu9

Post by Stu9 »

Even to answer to buy something.......christ be a while then and I'll probably miss what I was looking at
Lysy

Post by Lysy »

You could always try and ask guys here to pm the seller for you. I've seen people do it, don't know what result with though. Good luck.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Forum rules are there for good reasons:- http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 23&t=19054

11. Due to abuse of the Sales and Wants section by some previous new members, it is now mandatory that you have 50 posts before you are allowed to post in that section of the forum. Anybody trying to get around this by posting sales in the wrong place will have their posts deleted, try it a second time and their account will be deleted automatically. No questions asked. Also, posting trivial posts just to reach the 50 will also result in your account being deleted.

Chris.
Stu9

Post by Stu9 »

I only wanted to email/pm someone as I wanted to buy
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

as sirch says, the rules are there for a reason buddy, join in the banter and you'll get to the 50 post mark soon enough, ok you might miss out on this item, but you'll probably get a deal on another item... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Feck it only took me a day to get 50 posts !.
But it was more active back then .
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

lloydie wrote:Feck it only took me a day to get 50 posts !.
But it was more active back then .
lloydie was very active until he contracted an std....(sheep transmitted disease)
:wink: :lol:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

I take the purple pill now to keep me up !
Knobby69

Post by Knobby69 »

If it was the intention for this site to be less than fully welcoming by putting an arbitrary number of posts before getting full access, it's been a success. The vast majority of similar sites have no such limits and they appear to function just fine. Most new members will by the very nature of being new, know less about VTR's than existing members and not able to contribute much in the way of advice. That being so, the only way of getting to 50 posts in any sensible time is to post unhelpful drivel.

I am not the first to have mentioned this, but there has been no change in the policy. There are not that many VTR's out there compared to many and they are dying off quickly as they have such a relatively low value and a minor off or CHT failure sends them to the breakers. Barriers to entry have little to offer the majority in any area of life, only those with an "I'm all right Jack" attitude......you know what happened to that bird that flew in ever decreasing circles!

My opinion is not aimed at any particular member, just one of some merit and not held by just me either. Would it be possible for a moderator to turn full access on earlier? Just as it might be possible to turn it off because of abuse too. I was unable to ask for help for parts after an off because of this rule and was sore in more ways than one.

Have a safe and fun weekend in Wales, I would love to go, but my parts will not arrive in time for it all to happen.

I have retired to a safe distance!

Nigel
popkat

Post by popkat »

Knobby69 wrote:If it was the intention for this site to be less than fully welcoming by putting an arbitrary number of posts before getting full access, it's been a success. The vast majority of similar sites have no such limits and they appear to function just fine. Most new members will by the very nature of being new, know less about VTR's than existing members and not able to contribute much in the way of advice. That being so, the only way of getting to 50 posts in any sensible time is to post unhelpful drivel.

I am not the first to have mentioned this, but there has been no change in the policy. There are not that many VTR's out there compared to many and they are dying off quickly as they have such a relatively low value and a minor off or CHT failure sends them to the breakers. Barriers to entry have little to offer the majority in any area of life, only those with an "I'm all right Jack" attitude......you know what happened to that bird that flew in ever decreasing circles!

My opinion is not aimed at any particular member, just one of some merit and not held by just me either. Would it be possible for a moderator to turn full access on earlier? Just as it might be possible to turn it off because of abuse too. I was unable to ask for help for parts after an off because of this rule and was sore in more ways than one.

Have a safe and fun weekend in Wales, I would love to go, but my parts will not arrive in time for it all to happen.

Nigel

Well Nigel 8 posts in over a year seems to indicate you only come on here if you need something (which you do !).. This is a community not a selling site, if you were to join in you would have easily had more than 50 posts by now and would have no problem asking for help with parts which if anyone had what you wanted would surely help you with.. You appear to be quite possibly one of the reasons the post count rule was put in place, ie people who just want cheap stuff via a forum rather than ebay or the like which may be more expensive :roll:

Yes there will be less Firestorms over the years but there's hardly only a few left, they sold sh1t loads over a 9 year period, that's quite long for a single model of bike, so there's plenty out there and will be for many years to come..
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
Jazzscot

Post by Jazzscot »

Knobby69 wrote:If it was the intention for this site to be less than fully welcoming by putting an arbitrary number of posts before getting full access, it's been a success. The vast majority of similar sites have no such limits and they appear to function just fine. Most new members will by the very nature of being new, know less about VTR's than existing members and not able to contribute much in the way of advice. That being so, the only way of getting to 50 posts in any sensible time is to post unhelpful drivel.

Nigel
All I'm going to say on this matter is that the 50 post rule came about because of previous abuse of the sales and wants section.

We had in-depth discussions between our forum "community" about the best way to sort this out. The consensus was to bring in the 50 post rule.

So there we have it, join in our community and make 50 decent posts and your in, we dont discriminate. Its your choice post or don't post!

Obviously you have chosen not to engage (8 posts in 14 months) so why should you be allowed access to all area's?

Anyway as far as Im concerned the forum is currently doing just fine thanks very much.

The 50 post rule is not changing any time soon either!

Jazz

:Beer Popcorn:
Everything good is bad
Everything bad is good
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Nigel, isn't this rather like the folk who move into houses, near long established race tracks, then try to close the track down as it doesn't suit them?
The forums rules are posted for all to see and you make the decision to join in or not. It doesn't hurt to express your opinion but as has been said the rule came about following some skulduggery (don't get enough use of skulduggery anymore!!) in the sales section.
Sorry to hear about your off fella and hope you get it sorted.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

I can't even spell skull duggery..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
great word tho kev.
it really isn't that hard to join in nigel, start a thread about your bike in the pimp section, and post up what you'd like to do to it, by the time you've interacted on that thread you'll be well on your way.
ask some questions in the workshop section, we all need answers from there. then there's the rideouts section, even if you can't make a rideout, it doesn't stop you having a opinion on the subject. tell us where your favourite roads are.
post up a joke or two to make us laugh (or in macs case...cringe)
it's all about participation.
if you had started a thread in the pimp section, and then told us about your off, i'm sure you would have gotten offers of help.
so don't be a stranger and join in..... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!