Fuel consumption.

General Biker Banter
horselg

Fuel consumption.

Post by horselg »

After travelling to thruxton today to watch the Bsb I wondered if anyone can help me with fuel capacity of an 03 Vtr. The fuel gauge showed one bar and had been for some time. I had travelled about 130 miles since last fill up. When I filled up it took just over 15 litres. Can anyone tell me how accurate the gauge is on these bikes. It would appear I still had 4 litres left in the tank. Can anyone tell me if this sounds about right.
Just wondered.
bigtwinthing

Re: Fuel consumption.

Post by bigtwinthing »

Firstly you aint riding it hard enough if your getting that far. :lol: I had the later model and the most i got before crapping it was 121 the first week i had it. I put 17 lts in it that day. Filled up after 100 from then on. Best thing to do is tale 0.5 lt petrol in a placcy bottle then run out on a sensible road after setting the milage to zero when you fill up. the 0.5 lt will get you back to a chosen garage. you will then know!. or just fill up every 110 miles.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
darkember

Post by darkember »

Just to let you know I also managed 120 and still had 2 blocks on my gauge. Once you are on the last gauge you should be fine till is starts to blink then you are at the critical point. BTW I was not hanging around 85-90 all the way up to Yorkshire on the motorway still averaged 50 to the gallon
Metalmad18

Post by Metalmad18 »

bugger i forgot it was bob today. I'm really crap with catching these races on telly this year. missed loads when last year I saw em all!
Honda VTR 1000F 1997 Black
Arrow Exhausts
Maxton Rear Suspension
Renthal Grips
R&G Bar Ends and protectors
ASV levers
Blackbird Stand

Wanted
Manual CCT's (bought but need to be fitted)
Mosfet Reg/Rec
horselg

Post by horselg »

Thanks bigtwinthing, I like the sound of that.
Watty

Post by Watty »

Just keep pouring it in :lol:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
adyf

Post by adyf »

Yeah you have to be careful I only get 220miles before the light comes on, right pain in the butt
Watty

Post by Watty »

adyf wrote:Yeah you have to be careful I only get 220miles before the light comes on, right pain in the butt
You do ride like a tart though Ady :lol:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
adyf

Post by adyf »

Thanks for the compliment sweety, wanna race round Scotland ?
Watty

Post by Watty »

adyf wrote:Thanks for the compliment sweety, wanna race round Scotland ?
I meant you ride like a fast tart :lol:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

horselg wrote:After travelling to thruxton today to watch the Bsb I wondered if anyone can help me with fuel capacity of an 03 Vtr. The fuel gauge showed one bar and had been for some time. I had travelled about 130 miles since last fill up. When I filled up it took just over 15 litres. Can anyone tell me how accurate the gauge is on these bikes. It would appear I still had 4 litres left in the tank. Can anyone tell me if this sounds about right.
Just wondered.
This reminded me to check my fuel consumption today. My fuel light came on at 130 miles (also seen it come on at 90 miles :twisted: )
but the main thing was it worked out at about 42 mpg which is the same as it was 5 yrs ago. So, kind of tells me the performance is about the same as it was and hasn't dropped off :P
Also, I always reset the trip when I fill up as I find its far more accurate than the fuel gauge :thumbup:

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
kev64

Post by kev64 »

You have the later model with the bigger tank , so 130 miles is ok.
I get about 110 miles before reserve on my 16ltr tank
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

much the same here with the small tank. between 80/100 miles. mind you it did do 120 just the once but that was creeping along. mind you thats more than enough because by then my butt is numb because my seats a plank of wood :Argue 1:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

I very rarely got over 90 miles onto reserve on my previous 2 VTR1000 Storms, I think Honda motorcycles are not the best when it comes to fuel consumption, the best Honda I had for fuel consumption value was a Fireblade that was a Honda, there sports bike are a tad better but a V twin sports bikes is going to sit in the same league as there naked sports.

The X-11 I have your supposed to get 160miles out of the tank, this is my second X-11 and your lucky to get anymore than 115 miles before the fuel light flicks on, the bloody tank is nearly as big as the rest of the bike.
Virt

Post by Virt »

Got 200 miles from my last tank of petrol, what a pain that was filling up. I'd barely just left the last petrol station!

Sent from my PE-TL10 using Tapatalk
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement