That why piggy is going to look a mess lol
Varastorm

Re: Not a Moriwaki. So what's it worth?

Post by Varastorm »

Seriously impressed fella :clap: :clap: :clap: Cracking job :thumbup:
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

Whilst drooling over your bike pic's, yes I feel you've done that good a job 8) :thumbup:

I have seen a couple of things that might give you problems.

First one is the oil level window, it looks as if it's full to the top. But am not too sure the bike is on level ground :thumbup:

Also the front stick coil top isn't sealed from the weather, your guaranteed a miss fire if you hit any rain.

On the other hand I doubt this bike will ever see rain again :lol: :thumbup:

Oh, one other thing, paint the belly pan Yellow :beer:
motocorsaro3

Post by motocorsaro3 »

There's a story about the front stick coil. After I fitted them, I rode the bike to Donington in the rain and sure enough, it misfired badly. The problem was arcing from the stick coil body to the cylinder head. I wrapped some loom tape around the stick coil - problem solved. I'd skimmed a bit too much off the stick coil diameter and had hit metal! I've since teplaced it.

The oil is just over maximum, on the level. When I built up the clutch and started it up for the first time, the cluch was permanently 'in'. No drive to the rear wheel at all. The reason? The absence of the clutch slave gasket. With the Coerce sprocket cover, I did not put the paper gasket back in and that was putting pressure on the clutch push rod. 3 M6 washers under the slave cylinder mounting bolts - problem solved. It took me a while to sus out the problem and lost some oil taking the clutch out again, I over-compensated when I topped it up...
turbo_billy

Post by turbo_billy »

Its all been said before but stunning looking bike :thumbup: :clap:
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Flog it to Yeti on a dark evening :wink:

Very noice VTR race replica but with the nights drawing in are you now waiting for the spring to get out and about on it?
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Wicky wrote:Flog it to Yeti on a dark evening :wink:

Very noice VTR race replica but with the nights drawing in are you now waiting for the spring to get out and about on it?
He's brought worse "moriwaki" bikes :-)
motocorsaro3

Post by motocorsaro3 »

Wicky wrote:Flog it to Yeti on a dark evening :wink:

I don't ever plan to go far on it. I have a KTM Superduke R,
as a number 1 bike. This bike is a curiosity, a folly, something that I wanted to do just for my own interest. After owning a new VTR when they were launched in 97, when I later saw that picture of the '99 Suzuka Moriwaki, I just liked the idea of trying to emulate it one day. It will just sit in the garage and do a couple of hundred miles each summer. For what I'd get for it, just not worth selling.
zippyuk

Post by zippyuk »

This is the bike that has sparked my interest in VTR's.

I chatted to you at Cadwell about it in July, If you do think of selling it then let me know as I'd be very interested. :D
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Well I see he went for the Yellow belly pan in the end. Wise move and very important that was as it's the Japanese Sand I think. The red is the Sun like in the flag and the Blue is Water, Something like that anyway. That's why Mori chose those colours and there's a reason for the percentages too. Water covers 80% of it like the planet etc.
==============================Enter the Darkside
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

I stand corrected, I personally thought this bike was worth about £2500, seen as it's got no mori parts, it's basically a very nice track bike based on a mori bike, i'm amazed at the time of posting it's at £3700, even more surprised that it hasn't reached the sellers reserve... :eek2
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-VTR-100 ... 2258960057
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

8O 8O That's stupidity. It just goes to show that looks count...until someone goes sliding down the track on it :eek2 It's not if it's when. Shame it not a road legal unless it's value is in posing and trying to pull it off as a mori.
==============================Enter the Darkside
motocorsaro3

Post by motocorsaro3 »

I'd already had the opportunity to sell it at £3,750. I just needed to put it out there to see what the market felt. In the final analyis, that's pretty much today's value.

For those who think it was worth £2,000. I just don't get it. Find another like it at all. Never mind for £2,000. Or try building one yourself for £2,000. The exhaust cans and tyres are brand new and cost me £680. So, now we're at £1320 for a 12,000 mile super-provenance VTR? I was motivated to do this to see how close I could make the bike at 'sensible' money. I think I made a reasonable job of it. Would I do it again? Not a chance. Too many one-off parts and too much trial and error. But if anyone wants to rise to the challenge and do a better one for £2,000...
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

I think the main problem is that you can never expect to get back the money you spend on improving a bike like that. Plus, what on earth are you going to do with it if you own it?

I would like to own it but the first thing I'd do would be to take all the M stickers off and give it a complete respray.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
motocorsaro3

Post by motocorsaro3 »

The buyer it appeals to is the historic race bike enthusiast.
I was surprised at the event at Cadwell how much interest there is in both the genuine article and 're-creations' of historic race bikes. These aren't used in the true track bike sense. These bikes are loved and used in a very gentlemanly manner. Not a scuffed fairing panel to be seen anywhere in the paddock. A complete contrast to track day bikes which are usually 'functional' and battle scarred. That's the home for this bike, which is what it really deserves.