Early xmas present

General Biker Banter
Miztaziggy

Early xmas present

Post by Miztaziggy »

Sarah couldn't resist giving me clues to my xmas present and in the end I guessed it, so we swapped presents today.

She has got me this:
http://www.chickenhawkracingeurope.com/ ... club-racer

Pair of (pretty decent by the reviews) tyre warmers for next year.

At the moment I have 2 pair of wheels, one with proper wets, other with super sport road tyres.

Next year, I had planned to get one pair with decent dry / track only dry tyres (such as Metzeler racetek) and put some good sport touring tyres (Pirelli RP3 maybe) on the other pair for road use and wet track use.

There's all sorts of conflicting info online about tyre temperatures and use of tyre warmers on road tyres. I gather that though they may not be that useful on road tyres because they reach temp quite quickly, they still come in handy, eliminating those first couple of laps of warm up.
Some sources seem to think that tyre warmers on any sort of road tyre is bad though, possibly overheating the tyre. I don't think there's any science behind it, just people's opinions.

Does anyone have any experience of using tyre warmers? Any good tips?
lloydie

Re: Early xmas present

Post by lloydie »

No experience but I to am interested in this topic .
thomas111

Post by thomas111 »

Hi yes I have used tyre warmers for a few years each time u come in brush down ur tyre from debris from the track put ur warmers on I have bike tech ones did the job just never trust a warmer by leaving it unattended as they can catch fire as I had experienced as u find the warmers on the front wheel the front mud gaurd is close to the tyre and they u put warmer between what little space
Steve6088

Post by Steve6088 »

IMO I'd use them on road tyres as well, no different to how hot they get after 20mins on track.

I'm going to have to get a pair of these as well. Suppose I should get a bike to use them on first though.
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

Anyone else used them on road tyres?

I have been looking at generators the last couple of days. Seems I can get a 2KVa genny for about £250-300 which probably isn't the best quality, but will last me a few years at a rate of 1/2 uses a year I would imagine, there's only really Cadwell or maybe Mallory that I would use it as the rest (Oulton/Donington) have garages and electric.

Oh man...I can't wait for the weather to get better and get back out there now :D
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

when i do a track day i always use them... saves on cold tyre crashes :P . iv used them with slicks,wets and road tyres and they are the mutts nuts.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol: