And... it gets worse!

General Biker Banter
Jamoi

And... it gets worse!

Post by Jamoi »

Some of you may have seen my post about the adjuster ring snapping on my rear shock on Hogthrob... (see link if you missed it http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=35001 )

Just stripped the swingarm, linkages and shock out, with the intent of greasing up the linkage bearings and replacing the shock.

I loosened all the linkage bolts before removing the swingarm and was surprised to find one of the bolts was incredibly tight, i couldn't budge it, so I figured I'll have a go at it when the swingarm is out...

Turns out the bolt has sheared off in the gap between the swingarm lug and the linkage 8O 8O 8O

It must have been like this while I was riding, as the bolt is seized both ends I haven't managed to turn it to shear it myself!

So now I'm stuck with a seized bolt both ends, which has miraculously sheared in the middle.

So, I reckon the linkage bearing has dried out and seized onto the bolt, when the linkage rotated it has sheared the bolt in situ.

I'm at a loss, I can't remove either end of the bolt :(

I have a spare swingarm but I would need to source a spare triangular linkage I suppose.
Last edited by Jamoi on Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jamie :wave:
countrymick

Re: And... it gets worse!

Post by countrymick »

you definitely made a good job of that one :cry:
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

countrymick wrote:you definitely made a good job of that one :cry:
I know :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Worst thing is, I've gone over the entire bike sorting bits and bobs out to make it sweet and this was the last job to do!!!
Watty

Post by Watty »

Jamoi wrote:Some of you may have seen my post about the adjuster ring snapping on my rear shock on Hogthrob...

Just stripped the swingarm, linkages and shock out, with the intent of greasing up the linkage bearings and replacing the shock.

I loosened all the linkage bolts before removing the swingarm and was surprised to find one of the bolts was incredibly tight, i couldn't budge it, so I figured I'll have a go at it when the swingarm is out...

Turns out the bolt has sheared off in the gap between the swingarm lug and the linkage 8O 8O 8O

It must have been like this while I was riding, as the bolt is seized both ends I haven't managed to turn it to shear it myself!

So now I'm stuck with a seized bolt both ends, which has miraculously sheared in the middle.

So, I reckon the linkage bearing has dried out and seized onto the bolt, when the linkage rotated it has sheared the bolt in situ.

I'm at a loss, I can't remove either end of the bolt :(

I have a spare swingarm but I would need to source a spare triangular linkage I suppose.
Bugger jamie :thumbdown: This and all the other linkage related incidents need to be a lesson to us all to check out that area if we purchase storms that we know nothing about history wise. I'd say you've been very lucky mate :thumbup:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

Jamie see Facebook, I've tagged you in a link which may help you out, very good piece of kit
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

I have one of them linkages but needs bearings and seals .
Yours if you want it
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Bugger jamie :thumbdown: This and all the other linkage related incidents need to be a lesson to us all to check out that area if we purchase storms that we know nothing about history wise. I'd say you've been very lucky mate :thumbup:
+1
More important than CCT's IMO as it's a safety issue. It's all in the Knowledgebase and in capitals ***IMPORTANT*** and I have it down in the Read Me For New Members. It's a shame people don't read these things until it's too late and then start asking questions.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Watty

Post by Watty »

cybercarl wrote:
+1
More important than CCT's IMO as it's a safety issue. It's all in the Knowledgebase and in capitals ***IMPORTANT*** and I have it down in the Read Me For New Members. It's a shame people don't read these things until it's too late and then start asking questions.

Is printing it in red an option Carl? Maybe people would notice it a bit more :?
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Jamie can you stick a link to your other thread under the following in you first post mate. It helps those following links.
Some of you may have seen my post about the adjuster ring snapping on my rear shock on Hogthrob...
Is printing it in red an option Carl? Maybe people would notice it a bit more :?
I'm not sure it's that straight forward with thread titles. In fact I know it's not as it would mean making an individual CSS code (site style sheet) marked as important to pick it out from the the rest of thread titles. I have juts bumped it anyway. :wink:

agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

I've got a spare one that seems ok mate, never had it apart tho, so it's a gamble, but it looks ok to me. pm if you want it mate.
cheap bikes come with a lot of problems, buy cheap buy twice!!!!!!!!!!
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Virt

Post by Virt »

cybercarl wrote:In fact I know it's not as it would mean making an individual CSS code (site style sheet) marked as important to pick it out from the the rest of thread titles
Wouldn't exactly be difficult though. HTML is only a markup and without media queries CSS barely qualifies as a language, only difficulty would be adjusting the backend to allow for this which could take maybe 20 minutes?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Trust you to mention backend :lol: It's not my department mate and there are loads of things that could be considered important so where does it end. Anyway as more and more stuff gets posted things get pushed further down the line until they are bumped, so what use would it be in Red if halfway down the page. The sales and wants rules and guidelines are in Red and how many people bother to read them. :roll: At the end of the day it's down to members to inform others of issues like this and for new members to do the searching. Read the read me's and check out the Knowledgebase etc. One can only do so much to help others help themselves. How about we get off the cct case in the welcomes and start mentioning shock linkages.

Watty

Post by Watty »

cybercarl wrote:Trust you to mention backend :lol: It's not my department mate and there are loads of things that could be considered important so where does it end. Anyway as more and more stuff gets posted things get pushed further down the line until they are bumped, so what use would it be in Red if halfway down the page. The sales and wants rules and guidelines are in Red and how many people bother to read them. :roll: At the end of the day it's down to members to inform others of issues like this and for new members to do the searching. Read the read me's and check out the Knowledgebase etc. One can only do so much to help others help themselves. How about we get off the cct case in the welcomes and start mentioning shock linkages.

Good point me thinks Carl, failed shock or associated linkages has more chance of killing than a cct failure :?
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

Ckennedy wrote:Jamie see Facebook, I've tagged you in a link which may help you out, very good piece of kit
Thanks Chris, looks like a good tool.
lloydie wrote:I have one of them linkages but needs bearings and seals .
Yours if you want it
Thanks Lloydie :thumbup:
cybercarl wrote:It's a shame people don't read these things until it's too late and then start asking questions.

In my defense, I have been working my way through an extensive list of "checking this, replacing that" since I bought the bike, it's hardly been ridden in the couple of weeks it's been road legal. But I put my hands up, I should have checked the linkages before riding it at all.
agentpineapple wrote:I've got a spare one that seems ok mate, never had it apart tho, so it's a gamble, but it looks ok to me. pm if you want it mate.
Thanks AP
agentpineapple wrote: cheap bikes come with a lot of problems, buy cheap buy twice!!!!!!!!!!
I don't believe my cheap bike has loads of problems, just a few things which need some love. I could have spent double the money (which equates to £1200) on another bike and still had the same issues.

I've got a lot of spending left to get anywhere near twice what I paid for the bike.

I should be sorted now, found my spare swingarm and had some kind offers of a spare triangular linkage :Group Hug: Then I can sort out the fecked swinger over the winter and have a decent spare again.

Cheers guys
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

maybe you have money left to spend, but this bike could have put you in hospital or worse, of course you could have spent more money and still have ended up with a death trap, ultimately it's buyer beware and give the bike a real good check over before handing over the cash.
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!