Swing arm flex?

General Biker Banter
NZSpokes

Swing arm flex?

Post by NZSpokes »

When do you notice it?

I have a reason for this question but dont want to lead the answer.
lloydie

Re: Swing arm flex?

Post by lloydie »

When pushing hard out the bends
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

More so when you are over weight!

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Could you be mistaking flex for wallowing and have too much rebound dampening or running too low a pressure in the rear tyre :think:
Sometimes it's easier to be led a little :wink:

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
NZSpokes

Post by NZSpokes »

lloydie wrote:When pushing hard out the bends
Ive noticed after fitting a new set of tyres that Im leaning more as they are not squared off. When im a decent way down it feels like the rear slips a bit, but its not. Feels like the rear dips.

Will play with rebound and maybe compression to make sure its not that. Pressure in the tyre is 38psi.
kenmoore

Post by kenmoore »

I don't notice it as I have braced the rear swinger.

Before I did it I also felt like the back was not contacting the road properly especially when cranked over.

It was a real worry on uneven surfaces, sort of like a pogo effect.

Wasn't very confidence inspiring that's for sure.

With a fork brace and the swinger the bike feels planted now on all surfaces except dirt roads.
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

I guess this mod is all about 'feel' but, in all honestly I don't think the stock swingarm flexes much. A flimsy Fireblade brace certainly won't make a huge difference to rigidity imo.

The forks are where the real flex happens, as mentioned by Kenmoore the fork brace improves things nicely.

The small ammount of flex in the stock swingarm can't be a bad thing, as when you are cranked over on the power you need a bit of lateral flex to help the tyre retain grip.

A good shock and set up coupled with decent tyres are the most important combo for the rear end imo.

:beer:
Jamie :wave:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

The small ammount of flex in the stock swingarm can't be a bad thing, as when you are cranked over on the power you need a bit of lateral flex to help the tyre retain grip.

A good shock and set up coupled with decent tyres are the most important combo for the rear end imo.
+1

And don't forget the frame flex's as part of the suspension on these bikes, hence the reason for the swingarm being mounted off the engine.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
NZSpokes

Post by NZSpokes »

Jamoi wrote:I guess this mod is all about 'feel' but, in all honestly I don't think the stock swingarm flexes much. A flimsy Fireblade brace certainly won't make a huge difference to rigidity imo.

The forks are where the real flex happens, as mentioned by Kenmoore the fork brace improves things nicely.

:beer:
Dont disagree. More wondering if it was flex im felling or something else. Will knock a click or two off my rebound and see what happens but if its shock then I would have thought it could be compression. Running Ohlins.

Could be a few things so will try some adjustments.
Jscobey

Post by Jscobey »

I didn't really realize I had flex until I did my fork swap. Then it became obvious the flex was there. As stated the fireblade brace isn't gonna make it a motogp swingarm but that's not what you want on the storm anyways. The brace gives a little added confidence in the rear. Just enough to go a little faster while leaning a little further.
High Hindles.SP1frontend.SP2&900rrwheel.Ohlins.SAbrace&spools.AllBalls.jetkit.JE 11.5:1 Pistns.Stg 1 Cams. HPowerstacks.HRCthrtl.SSlines.RadMC.WveRtr.LtWtFlywhl.LEDtail.mosfet.MCCT.DePair.Tailtidy.DM rrsets.Lower.Carbonadis.hugger.sliders.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

NZSpokes wrote:
lloydie wrote:When pushing hard out the bends
Ive noticed after fitting a new set of tyres that Im leaning more as they are not squared off. When im a decent way down it feels like the rear slips a bit, but its not. Feels like the rear dips.

Will play with rebound and maybe compression to make sure its not that. Pressure in the tyre is 38psi.
I've got some good write ups on how to set your suspension at home, I'll have a look and see what I can find tonight. With a fully adjustable Ohlins it should be do able.
Have you stayed with the same make and model of tire? I've noticed quite a different feel between the various ones I've tried.

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Have you stayed with the same make and model of tire? I've noticed quite a different feel between the various ones I've tried.
That's an interesting comment as IIRC it was Scoby that found an article/link (posted over the pond) on how the original Dunlops where chosen to work with the rest of the suspension. Something along those lines anyway! Yes we no tyres and pressures is the first port of call in suspension but the article was specific to using Dunlops. :think: Obviously once someone goes changing other aspects of the bike this changes things and the way it behaves.

I found it :D over the pond

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/ ... -1454.html

Check out what the article has to say about OEM softer construction tyres. It makes sense...after all, tyres are part of the suspension system.

==============================Enter the Darkside
Jscobey

Post by Jscobey »

Yea Carl, that article more so pertained to the bikes chassis being set up for tires of the era. The hawk came with Dunlop's mostly and sometimes Michelin's off the showroom floor. The manual says exactly what kind. So tires in 97 are very different than a set of Q3s especially in sidewall construction. The argument was that the bike doesn't handle as well on new tires as the chassis was designed for a certain amount of flex in the tire.

Obviously once you throw USD forks, braced swingarm, etc into the equation, then your sorta on your own.

But making sure your suspension is properly sorted should be the first thing you do on every bike. Not only will it handle infinatley better but it will keep you out of a ditch. I learned that the hard way...

Psi is another big factor in handling. As well as tire manufacture, size, and the specific type of tire withing that brand. They may say 180/55 but not every 180/55 has the same profile. Some are more pointy and tip in faster. Others are more round and turn a little slower.

TBH you have to really be pushing the bike to it's limits to notice the flex. And even then you don't consciously realize it until you brace it at which point you can tell the difference. Albeit not a huge difference. But fitting for the storm.
High Hindles.SP1frontend.SP2&900rrwheel.Ohlins.SAbrace&spools.AllBalls.jetkit.JE 11.5:1 Pistns.Stg 1 Cams. HPowerstacks.HRCthrtl.SSlines.RadMC.WveRtr.LtWtFlywhl.LEDtail.mosfet.MCCT.DePair.Tailtidy.DM rrsets.Lower.Carbonadis.hugger.sliders.
nt1980

Post by nt1980 »

I have never felt the rear on either bike flex but the front does i gues like said above depends on suspension set up tyre and pressure if the tyre was cold i would start with pressures first i nearly wiped out on the front as the front tyre pressure was down 4 psi i should no better but simple as being 4 psi out on that particular tyre can cause an issue imo
1998 black vtr (mods cbr900 fork conversion, ohlins rear shock, ohlins steering damper, prolite discs brembo master cylinder, goodridge braided lines, harris rear sets, Quick shifter,Mario Fairing, etc)
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

NZSpokes wrote:When do you notice it?

I have a reason for this question but dont want to lead the answer.
when your a moto GP rider.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
NZSpokes

Post by NZSpokes »

cybercarl wrote:
That's an interesting comment as IIRC it was Scoby that found an article/link (posted over the pond) on how the original Dunlops where chosen to work with the rest of the suspension. Something along those lines anyway! Yes we no tyres and pressures is the first port of call in suspension but the article was specific to using Dunlops. :think: Obviously once someone goes changing other aspects of the bike this changes things and the way it behaves.

I found it :D over the pond

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/ ... -1454.html

Check out what the article has to say about OEM softer construction tyres. It makes sense...after all, tyres are part of the suspension system.

I went from Michy Pilots to PR2s. Not a big change and have had PR2s before on my modded bandit1200.