What's annoyed you today??

General Biker Banter
KermitLeFrog

Re: What's annoyed you today??

Post by KermitLeFrog »

NIP in the post yesterday. 35 in a 30 so I should have the joy of a speed awareness course. So annoying. I know the camera is there and I pass it on a regular basis (always at legal speeds). Just thinking about other things. elbow.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

KermitLeFrog wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:27 am NIP in the post yesterday. 35 in a 30 so I should have the joy of a speed awareness course. So annoying. I know the camera is there and I pass it on a regular basis (always at legal speeds). Just thinking about other things. tonsils.
That is sooooo annoying, and so easy to do,

Chris.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

KermitLeFrog wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:27 am NIP in the post yesterday. 35 in a 30 so I should have the joy of a speed awareness course. So annoying. I know the camera is there and I pass it on a regular basis (always at legal speeds). Just thinking about other things. tonsils.
Ouch. Hopefully still inside the speed awareness limit
AMcQ
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Darn it. That really bites.
I did the same thing a couple of years ago. I passed the van on the way to town and then completely forgot about it an hour later on the way home. Doh!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

A couple of weeks ago Datatool alarm immobiliser on the Tiger shut up shop thankfully while at home and not when out and about i.e when I was in Wales in Sept!

In the attempt to fit a Triumph bypass block for factory fitted Datatool units wrapped the alarm in towels for 24 hours while it ran itself down from inbuilt battery - Found I needed special security bits to delve deeper into into the innards only to find bypass unit was wrong connector type. :problem:

To their credit Datatool answered email very quickly after I sent em pics and a scan of vehicle reg doc as proof of ownership. Best they could do, as they don't do a bypass block for their own aftermarket units, was put me in in contact with a mobile installer down in Dagenham who will come up tomorrow to rip the rest of the friggin' thing out and get it going again ££££

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

the fact every halfwit knob is on the road for xmas driving at 23mph with dorris in the car winds my tits up :lol: :lol:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
popkat

Post by popkat »

Wicky wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:06 pm A couple of weeks ago Datatool alarm immobiliser on the Tiger shut up shop thankfully while at home and not when out and about i.e when I was in Wales in Sept!

In the attempt to fit a Triumph bypass block for factory fitted Datatool units wrapped the alarm in towels for 24 hours while it ran itself down from inbuilt battery - Found I needed special security bits to delve deeper into into the innards only to find bypass unit was wrong connector type. :problem:

To their credit Datatool answered email very quickly after I sent em pics and a scan of vehicle reg doc as proof of ownership. Best they could do, as they don't do a bypass block for their own aftermarket units, was put me in in contact with a mobile installer down in Dagenham who will come up tomorrow to rip the rest of the friggin' thing out and get it going again ££££

I've removed a couple of triumph alarms, not that difficult, as all the wires are black I marked each wire each side of a cut so I knew where they originally connected then one by one touched to different wires, pretty sure on your's your only looking for fuel pump and ignition, have some spare fuses just in case but I didn't blow any. Alternatively you could supply proof of ownership and chassis number to a Triumph dealer then they can order the blanking plug from Triumph.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Cheers popkat - chap came early today and fitted his own improvised bypass that Datatool say they don't have. All working now without hassle of fobs!

I initially tried the Triumph bypass which I got for a couple of quid from Lings but that's was for factory installed systems with a different connector block this was for a S4 Red which was installed a couple of years after it was on the road.

I've put it all back together but come Spring I'll get back in under the tail to take some pics and work out the diagram for the bypass for that particular block.

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Commando77

Post by Commando77 »

Got the motor in and bits attached for a fire up after doing the mainshaft bearing and crank shells. Great news the gearbox is quiet as it can be... Not so good is the iffy running on rear pot....thinking I may have clipped a valve when pushing pistons up and down to do shells and the rotating crank with piston at tdc. Definitely a weird sound from the rear carb intake. Waiting on comp tester adaptor to confirm but the pulse feels weak with the plug out.... Hey ho😕. Merry Christmas everyone!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

As an easy check, pull the rear cam cover off and check valve clearances.
If a valve is bent the clearances open up dramatically, and compared to the front set, the shim bucket sits visibly lower in the head.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Commando77

Post by Commando77 »

That's a good point. However I did the clearances last as I was waiting on shims....any damage would have happened before while I was faffing with the crank shells and chains. I think the valve springs took the crank round a 1/4 turn with both pistons up. Still will check it. The reshim was only in small shim changes.
It runs on the rear but not well. Good spark, fuel etc. Downpipe gets hot. I did think it turned over compression a bit easily on that cyl. Cheers.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Commando77 wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:11 pm Got the motor in and bits attached for a fire up after doing the mainshaft bearing and crank shells. Great news the gearbox is quiet as it can be... Not so good is the iffy running on rear pot....thinking I may have clipped a valve when pushing pistons up and down to do shells and the rotating crank with piston at tdc. Definitely a weird sound from the rear carb intake. Waiting on comp tester adaptor to confirm but the pulse feels weak with the plug out.... Hey ho😕. Merry Christmas everyone!
Don't be too hard on yourself. The main thing is the gearbox is as quiet as can be. Looking on the positive side, if a valve or so has been clipped you most likely won't need to strip the whole engine down again. Removing the cylinder head is relatively easy in comparison, None of us are perfect :wink: :)

Chris.
Commando77

Post by Commando77 »

Thanks for that. Trouble is the older you get the more care you need to take and shortcuts ain't the way....mostly I've learned this but not always. Checked valve clearances and bang on as I did them. It runs on the rear just not well. Tried a plug in each pot and when cranked it sounds slightly different on rear. A compression test will tell me one way or the other. Of course it could be something else so we'll see.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Commando77 wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:23 pm Thanks for that. Trouble is the older you get the more care you need to take and shortcuts ain't the way....mostly I've learned this but not always. Checked valve clearances and bang on as I did them. It runs on the rear just not well. Tried a plug in each pot and when cranked it sounds slightly different on rear. A compression test will tell me one way or the other. Of course it could be something else so we'll see.
Yes a compression test should help I agree.
Are you sure the rear cylinder is getting fuel properly :?:

Chris.
Commando77

Post by Commando77 »

Comp tester adaptor arrived. 150 psi cold with butterflies and slides open. Same on front. Carbs off and jets removed and compressed air thru all holes. Diaphragms all good. Float bowls were full when drained. Carbs seated properly as far as i could see and cam timing marks all line up. Idle screws back to where they were when I removed them. Mystery :? :?