what have you done to your "bike" today

General Biker Banter
Nosepicker

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by Nosepicker »

Exhaust was farting a bit, so I fitted some new gaskets - it was due - and ran a cloth over the headers now they were off the bike anyway :thumbup:
So the only fart now is the rider I guess :lol:

Bad choices make good stories :D
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

freeridenick wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:54 pm Drained the fluids and pulled a few covers off. It's definitely dead. For this year at least.
Best of luck, it's only resting waiting to be revived, and you never know it might not be as bad as you think, let's hope 👍
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

Nosepicker wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:25 pm Exhaust was farting a bit, so I fitted some new gaskets - it was due - and ran a cloth over the headers now they were off the bike anyway :thumbup:
So the only fart now is the rider I guess :lol:

Top man, looking good. Your braver than me, I am staying well clear of the exhaust flange nuts until 😁
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

freeridenick wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:54 pm Drained the fluids and pulled a few covers off. It's definitely dead. For this year at least.
Hope it’s not as bad as you fear mate.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

So twas yeterday I went for a spin A/ to test thumped finger... B/ to go to Kent Bearings to pick some bearings & seals up...

All good still a bit stiff but not as painful...so thats good.

Today in the cave built up a swing arm linkage with the new bearings & seals for the polished swinger I picked up recently... :thumbup:

Sorted some bits N bobs for a continental FB client... :thumbup:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Mav617

Post by Mav617 »

300 miles a week on the stock XSR seat is a pain in the butt, so treated the bike and my butt to the seat from the XSR Tribute, #plush:

I'm so unlucky that if there is such a thing as re-incarnation I'll come back as me!
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Mav617 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:48 pm 300 miles a week on the stock XSR seat is a pain in the butt, so treated the bike and my butt to the seat from the XSR Tribute, #plush:

Nice & as a bonus it matches the bins... :thumbup: :thumbup:

:lol: :lol:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Pentode

Post by Pentode »

Mav617 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:48 pm 300 miles a week on the stock XSR seat is a pain in the butt, so treated the bike and my butt to the seat from the XSR Tribute, #plush:

I must confess to be rather taken by the XSR. Seat looks the nuts 👍
Insufferable halfwit.
Pentode

Post by Pentode »

Neither my bike or a VTR. A mate's just restoring a rather sweet old CB250 K4 but a part of the top yoke just came away when he was pulling it apart 😬

I've never tried Tig welding cast aluminium but there was nothing to lose really. Bit of Googling and careful setting up seemed to do the trick 👍 Dressed the weld back and bead blasted it to blend various nicks and scratches away. The pen shows where it had broken away.

Insufferable halfwit.
uk13iker

Post by uk13iker »

Mav617 wrote:300 miles a week on the stock XSR seat is a pain in the butt, so treated the bike and my butt to the seat from the XSR Tribute, #plush:

Looks good was going to get one of them exhausts on my MT sound nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mav617

Post by Mav617 »

Pentode wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:32 pm

I must confess to be rather taken by the XSR. Seat looks the nuts 👍
Thanks mate, love the bike, its a great mix of usability and hooning around, great engine, torquey little mill.
I'm so unlucky that if there is such a thing as re-incarnation I'll come back as me!
Mav617

Post by Mav617 »

Pentode wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:43 pm Neither my bike or a VTR. A mate's just restoring a rather sweet old CB250 K4 but a part of the top yoke just came away when he was pulling it apart 😬

I've never tried Tig welding cast aluminium but there was nothing to lose really. Bit of Googling and careful setting up seemed to do the trick 👍 Dressed the weld back and bead blasted it to blend various nicks and scratches away. The pen shows where it had broken away.
Quality job that :thumbup:
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Pentode wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:43 pm Neither my bike or a VTR. A mate's just restoring a rather sweet old CB250 K4 but a part of the top yoke just came away when he was pulling it apart 😬

Nice work. Did cast feel any different from other ally?
Pentode

Post by Pentode »

[/quote]

Nice work. Did cast feel any different from other ally?
[/quote]

Not particularly. Luckily it was very clean at the break so I just cleaned back the surface about 10mm with a clean file and V'd the joint out. What I learned from a particular video was that by holding the molton pool allows the shite in the alloy to lift out which improves things. The material used on this old yoke seemed particularly good which probably made things a lot easier 🙂

Of course, there's some really crap cast material out there which must be really difficult to work with.

I must point out that I'm no pro' welder and still learning slowly.
Insufferable halfwit.
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

Top job