what have you done to your "bike" today

General Biker Banter
tony.mon

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by tony.mon »

Ah, well, 15 tooth.....

Fit a 16 and drop the rear one by 2 teeth.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

KermitLeFrog wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:25 pm
tony.mon wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:30 pm Ah well, I can't keep them both.
Why not? The value of the SP2 in the bank will return you (I predict) a lot less than the increase in value of the SP2. Just tuck it away some place .
Not sure about it, these times are over. I would be surprised to see significant value gain of sp2 in upcoming years. Not surprised to see the drop though.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Why not? The value of the SP2 in the bank will return you (I predict) a lot less than the increase in value of the SP2. Just tuck it away some place .
This is very true, Tell MrsMon that the SP2 is a pension fund :thumbup:
AMcQ
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

AMCQ46 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:06 pm
This is very true, Tell MrsMon that the SP2 is a pension fund :thumbup:
I won't need to discuss it for a while, I'm off to the Excel show with my credit card in a week or so.
That should ensure a lack of conversational interfaces for a while.

Anyway, the 2 needs a respray before I sell it.
I quite fancy TZ speedblock yellow.

It might not sell at all after that.....
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

tony.mon wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:43 pm Ah, well, 15 tooth.....

Fit a 16 and drop the rear one by 2 teeth.
Are you serious? Maybe add 2 on the rear but even then it would be a higher gearing with a 16 front. At 30 mph I'm in first gear and slipping the clutch with the standard 15/42 gearing.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Got all geared up ready for work, pulled Custurd out, started it up...All good so far... Switched on the lights...only the lights didnt switch on...

Had a fiddle the bulb is fine, one of the wires going into the block has decided it doesnt want to be conected anymore... DOH...

Be fecked if I'm riding it in with no headlight...

So I'm off out to the cave to sort it out in a bit...

Work can wait or even go fek till it gets sorted...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

MacV2 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:40 am Got all geared up ready for work, pulled Custurd out, started it up...All good so far... Switched on the lights...only the lights didnt switch on...

Had a fiddle the bulb is fine, one of the wires going into the block has decided it doesnt want to be conected anymore... DOH...

It's jealous of your new electric van.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

tony.mon wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:08 pm
MacV2 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:40 am Got all geared up ready for work, pulled Custurd out, started it up...All good so far... Switched on the lights...only the lights didnt switch on...

It's jealous of your new electric van.
Nah they haven't met yet, park in different places... Us Motorbikers are hearded in to a corner in an unsuitible parking area...

Yes I have complained... several times.

The closest I get is when I swoosh in or out the main gate.

Still spent the last few hours sorting it out.

Once the fairing was off I got to the plug & unpicked the insert of the obviously dammaged wire, cut the wire off. Opened up the crimp. Stripped back to fresh wire & re crimped it. Tested with a bulb all good. Boxed it back up... Still wonkey when given a wiggle...So unboxed it, took the other two wires out & redid those as well.

It's working now...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

mik_str wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:13 pm OCMD attack: ordered one of these
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Gear-Shi ... 0005.m1851
It's just added weight.
How can that steel shaft bend? If it ever bent it would stay bent. The acting forces are rotary, not sideways, which is what this bearing is designed to resist.
So additional support isn't needed.
Any force acting on the shaft would have to be transmitted via the linkage rod, from the pressure applied from your left foot.
It would be fun to calculate how much force would be needed to bend the shaft, but it would be a lot more than you could put through the linkage mechanism, especially as the M6 rod threads are under tension when you stamp down on the lever.
I suspect that the next weakest part would be the clamped splines on the short arm on the rod, which would slip before enough torque could be applied.
Lastly, your selector forks would be bent like spaghetti!

Let us know how it goes, Mik.
Duffy1964

what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by Duffy1964 »

Fitted the blue tank and exhausts and ran it up to temp but it got to 120 degrees and fan didn’t cut in. Image
That’s a job for another day. It’s getting there slowly, just need to find a decent LHS fairing and rear seat surround in the correct colour ( bob and no hope atm)

Hopefully be sorted for Devon. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

Finished off welding my high level link pipes, I need to fit them and then see where the cans will sit. I then need to make the Hanger brackets for the cans.

I have a question on the brake Caliper mounting bolts , could somebody please put me right please. TA BTT ( loving having the red one back)
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Fitted most of the bits and pieces I bought at the Excel show. Front fork bobbins, R+G, rear SA bobbins, R+G. Frame sliders and aero crash protectors, R+G. I got a deal ordering them all at the same time. But it's adding weight- I feel dirty......
Also a Powerbronze front mudguard extender- Tuono's front tyres throw mud straight into the rad, and although I have rad and oil cooler protectors fitted they still get cruddy real quick.

Nothing much left on the workbench to do at present; I bought the RSV4 air filter which apparently flows a lot more air and (according to internet warriors) gives 10bhp more-- hmmmmmmm... but with the full TI Akra system it needs to be able to breathe in as well as it breathes out.

I also bought a USB socket to fit somewhere. I have a phone upgrade next month; if I get a waterproof one I can use it as a satnav, which will allow me to use less petrol trying to find meet up venues :oops:

It was nice to get an afternoon in the garage without getting cold. :thumbup:

But they ain't no Honda- less than a year old and there's rusty fasteners starting to show, but easy enough to replace with stainless.

Oh- and I removed the baffle- (Hi, Bazza) :wave:
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

fitted the new Delkevic can and link to the triumph today, (mines and the wife bike) I have to say, after fitting the bars risers that bike impresses me loads. The Michelin tyres seem bloody amazing, Changed the Disc, calliper and brake bolts on the Storm, removed the cans and links to fit the new high levels, the wife and daughter are away for a week in march, so have a week to fettle. cant bloody wait. week off to myself on June on the bike. cant bloody wait for that too.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Nice to be in the workshop without feeling cold for a change :D

I started to fit the Renntec grab rail this afternoon to the Firestorm, well the mounting bracket set-up that is.

I can't say I'm over the moon on how the base-plate of the grab rail sits on top of the seat fairing plastic's, even with protection of double sided tape I don't like it. I may have to have a rethink on that :crazy:

Chris.