what have you done to your "bike" today

General Biker Banter
VTRDark

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by VTRDark »

Scrubbed my tyres in with an electric drill and wire brush attachement :lol: :lol: Actually what it was...I used brown parcel tape to mask off previousley and there where loads of bits stuck on that I could not remove for the life of me. I even tried using course wet n dry. I gave up in the end and dug the drill out.

Anyway wheels all prepeped and re-masked off properly this time and ready for etch primer, then base and lacquer. Iv'e recycled the recyling bin liners. :biggrin Intrestingly after removing all the previous paint yesterday the bare metal seams to have some kind of coating on it. Not sure what it is but paint stripper didn't take it off. It wouldn't take much to polish them up with a wire brush if I wanted to take that route.

Here's how they look now....

I shall get them coated up tommorow now as my ankle is kiiling me. Those round nodules on the spokes...do you think they are simply casting marks or do they serve some kind of balance purpose. I'm considering grinding them down but not sure whether I should or not.
==============================Enter the Darkside
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Wheels not the easiest of things to mask up are they, even worse when you have to do it twice :lol:

Good work Carl :thumbup:

Chris.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I used thin lining tape to mask the initial circle around the rim. If you look closely you can see the colour differance in the tape. I thought the bin liner idea was a good one. I'm really looking forward to getting them painted up tommorow. I want them back on the bike so I can move on as they are holding me back.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

VTRDark wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:30 pm I used thin lining tape to mask the initial circle around the rim. If you look closely you can see the colour differance in the tape. I thought the bin liner idea was a good one. I'm really looking forward to getting them painted up tommorow. I want them back on the bike so I can move on as they are holding me back.
That was a good idea with the thinner masking tape. I can imagine the recycled bin liners working better than the newspaper I usually use that prefers flattish surfaces. I must make a mental note of that :)

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

The round modules are casting injection points, you can grind them down and make them flush.
Last edited by tony.mon on Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

got my new ABM carbon handlebars a couple days back; trimmed them slightly (15mm from each end) then filled them with black silicone (for vibration attenuation). I should be getting the Carbon Express back from the shop (recent and final rebuild: 99mm JE pistons, crankcase venting mods, more aggressive (Yosh Stg 1) intake cams, lightweight flywheel, along with numerous longevity/durability refreshes) any day now and will mount up the bars. Last item on my to do list, after performing a proper break-in, will be to replace the oil lines with some custom braided versions (built from the fittings I bought from the Pineapple man, lol)
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Took a large hammer & sevral diffrent drifts to 4x shock linkages...Some took more pesuading than others, two more triangles to work on but the bearings are so crusty & rusty I may have to resort to a different method...Tried heat on one of them, still woudnt budge... They are currently having a bit of a soak in plus gas...

Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
popkat

Post by popkat »

Yesterday.
Managed to find a little time to put some tyres on buttercup's wheels and pop the discs back on, I nicked the wheels as spares for the VFR for last weekends racing, didn't use them though. Poor thing hasn't turned a wheel since early last October, stuff still to do, swap reg/rec to the later finned type, I've had it for a couple of years but the original is still working, charge is a little high, about 14.8 and I have a redundant lithium battery I might use, lithiums can melt and go up in smoke at about 14.9 so a reg/rec swap should make it safe. after that flush front brake fluid, give it an oil and filter change and bung an MOT on it, add tax and will be ready for Devonstorm :) also got to clean the thick dust off it :lol:

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Got home from holiday early this morning, so got out to the garage this am and fitted some more titanium bolts to the SP2, replaced a rear light fitting as the lens fell off somewhere in Yorkshire last time out, and fitted a cbf600 shock to my little 600 commuter, which had completely failed going over a pothole a couple of weeks ago.
The lower bearing was dust, the cast eye had cracked and the damping oil just ran out in a gush when I took it out.
So I had my money's worth out out that one, only 73'000 miles, but not too bad.

Might scrub some Yorkshire flies off the 2 if I can be arsed after mowing the lawn.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Ive been busy today. I still need to give them a rub down and some more coats of lacquer.

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

They're looking better Carl :thumbup:

Chris.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

mik_str wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:47 pm got my new ABM carbon handlebars a couple days back; trimmed them slightly (15mm from each end) then filled them with black silicone (for vibration attenuation). I should be getting the Carbon Express back from the shop (recent and final rebuild: 99mm JE pistons, crankcase venting mods, more aggressive (Yosh Stg 1) intake cams, lightweight flywheel, along with numerous longevity/durability refreshes) any day now and will mount up the bars. Last item on my to do list, after performing a proper break-in, will be to replace the oil lines with some custom braided versions (built from the fittings I bought from the Pineapple man, lol)
That must have hurt adding weight to the Carbon Express :lol:

Chris.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

MacV2 wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:35 pm Took a large hammer & sevral diffrent drifts to 4x shock linkages...Some took more pesuading than others, two more triangles to work on but the bearings are so crusty & rusty I may have to resort to a different method...Tried heat on one of them, still woudnt budge... They are currently having a bit of a soak in plus gas...

What were you trying to do Mac :?: save yourself from buying new bearings :wink:

Chris.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

sirch345 wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:33 pm
MacV2 wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:35 pm Took a large hammer & sevral diffrent drifts to 4x shock linkages...Some took more pesuading than others, two more triangles to work on but the bearings are so crusty & rusty I may have to resort to a different method...Tried heat on one of them, still woudnt budge... They are currently having a bit of a soak in plus gas...

What were you trying to do Mac :?: save yourself from buying new bearings :wink:

Chris.
Nah these are all the scrap ones, only fit for the bin & thats the lid off my scrap bin...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

A good soak in phosphoric derust acid bath and a blob of quality grease, and they'll be good for another few miles...
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts