what have you done to your "bike" today

General Biker Banter
MacV2

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by MacV2 »

Today I did a calliper swap on Custard, just standard ones to change out the over winterd ones.

I'd cleaned up a set a couple of weekends ago so should have been a straight forward swaparoony...

Yeah right...

Turns out the right hand one had a stripped bleed nipple thread in the calliper...Now many moons & 4 GrainStorms ago, CarlosSpannerMonkey was doing his brakes & had an issue with a leaking bleed nipple, so as I had a spare calliper I gave it to him & chucked his one in the box of bits...

Seems it came back to haunt me today... :lol: :lol:

So I quickly stripped the caliper I'd just taken off, cleaned that up, just the half I needed, rebuilt it...offered it up...I'd only gone & stripped the wrong side...done a left when I needed the right hand one...DOH! ( Although the language was a bit more blue than just doh! )

So stripped the other dirty calliper, cleaned that half & got a correctly sided whole calliper fitted...with only one more minor issue to contend with...

Shite copper washers...I had some that were very slightly too thin, as in the width, or to put it another way the hole was too big...When bolted up they squashed out & left a nice wee gap...letting air in & Dot 4 out... (Wheres the slaps forehead emoji when you need it...?)

Vanstub had popped round & he left just after I'd started final bleeding, which wasn't going well TBH...

So I took five had a smoke & a drink...Went back out swore at the brakes...bleed it in about 5 mins... :lol:

Threw the stripped thread calliper in the bin whilst cursing it...

Tidy up, bikes back in the cave. Lock up leaving the lever tied back to the bar...

I'll find out in the morning if the brakes work... Or I have a puddle of Dot 4 on the floor... :lol: :lol:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I'm sorry to hear of your ordeal Mac.
Having done similar things on different occasions myself over the years regarding working on vehicles, reading that had me crackin' up, I almost spit my hot drink out over my keyboard at one point too :lol:

You really cheered me up Mac, good man :thumbup:

Pleased you got there eventually :D

Chris.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Had me crackin up too :lol: :lol: Lesson learnt...always mark bad parts up as bad or do not use. :roll: There must have been something in the air today (no pun intended) as my day went a little like that too accept my battle was with masking tape.
==============================Enter the Darkside
podman

Post by podman »

MOT passed, inspector was telling me come June, as part of some changes to the test, the bike will revved half way to its rev range and if deemed too noisy, is an instant fail, also said, spot checks will be carried by DVSA to ensure testers are being rigorous on this and the new changes...

Anyway, did 90 miles or so to there and back to On Yer Bike afterwards, all is good with the world.

[url]Image
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

even though it’s YELLOW??? :lol:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

podman wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 2:13 pm MOT passed, inspector was telling me come June, as part of some changes to the test, the bike will revved half way to its rev range and if deemed too noisy, is an instant fail, also said, spot checks will be carried by DVSA to ensure testers are being rigorous on this and the new changes...
excuse the pun, but I don't like the sound of that!!!!!!

a) "deemed too noisy" is not a valid pas /s fail criteria!!!! needs to be measured like at a trackday, with a sound meter, in an open area with no sound reflection, at a set distance and angle from the outlet. ... otherwise its just opinion.

b) it means putting the std pipes on 1/yr, but I have to do that for some track days, so its not the end of the world
AMcQ
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Tell that to the Harley owners :roll: I'm so sick of this country and all it's bullshit. What about the noise pollution from aircraft including plods helicopter. What about the noise pollution from the local sprogs from the school playground. Then there is all the noise from building sites, roadwoks etc. Next they will be intoducing fixed penality's for noisy pipes. Rip off Britain run by a bunch of twats. Geez at this rate we would be better off with the Trump in charge. It's like all this emissions crap...attack the motorist but don't worry about google searches which is the equivelant of boiling a kettle for two searches.

Two Google searches 'produce same CO2 as boiling a kettle'

Got a little bit of spraying done today and applied some decals. I also put the subframe back on and run the loom into position. I still have a load of spraying to do yet. Wheels and about six coats of laquer to the bodywork. Let it all cure and then polish up.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Don't believe everything you read in the Torygraph... ;-)
A typical search through the online giant's website is thought to generate about 7g of carbon dioxide. Boiling a kettle produces about 15g
Google claimed that the number was "many times too high" and one Google search is equivalent to about 0.2 grams of CO2.
So at a guesstimate compromise put is somewhere between the two...

Though Bitcoin mining and other cryptocurrency must consumes quite a bit of energy for no meaningful purpose other than for folk to line their pockets

https://digiconomist.net/bitcoin-energy-consumption
Last edited by Wicky on Tue May 08, 2018 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

How about this link then that I got via MIT
Every Google search results in CO2 emissions. This real-time data viz shows how much

The thing is computers, technology and automation is causing more damage to us and the planet than all the vehicles on the road yet nobody says we have to do something to cut back on the internet, machines and automation. I wonder how much power all the cameras in London use and how much CO2 that creates compared to the traffic on the roads.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

"I wonder how much power all the cameras in London use and how much CO2 that creates compared to the traffic on the roads."

Would you guess; a lot less, less, about the same, more or a lot more?

Off the top of my head I'd guess a lot lot less - insignificant in comparison to all ICE vehicle emissions in Greater London.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Wicky

Post by Wicky »

VTRDark wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 6:12 pm How about this link then that I got via MIT
Every Google search results in CO2 emissions. This real-time data viz shows how much

The thing is computers, technology and automation is causing more damage to us and the planet than all the vehicles on the road yet nobody says we have to do something to cut back on the internet, machines and automation. I wonder how much power all the cameras in London use and how much CO2 that creates compared to the traffic on the roads.
“Data is very polluting,” says Joana Moll, an artist-researcher

CO2GLE uses 2015 internet traffic data, Moll says, and is based on the assumption that Google.com “processes an approximate average of 47,000 requests every second, which represents an estimated amount of 500 kg of CO2 emissions per second.” That would be about 0.01 kg per request. She says these numbers are approximations, though when Quartz shared CO2GLE with Google, the company didn’t contest the math. In fact, in a 2009 estimate, Google said each query causes 0.2 grams of CO2 emissions.

So those assumptions are a made up variable - or a rough approximation without compelling evidence apart from what Google say.

podman

Post by podman »

AMCQ46 wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 4:54 pm
podman wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 2:13 pm MOT passed, inspector was telling me come June, as part of some changes to the test, the bike will revved half way to its rev range and if deemed too noisy, is an instant fail, also said, spot checks will be carried by DVSA to ensure testers are being rigorous on this and the new changes...
excuse the pun, but I don't like the sound of that!!!!!!

a) "deemed too noisy" is not a valid pas /s fail criteria!!!! needs to be measured like at a trackday, with a sound meter, in an open area with no sound reflection, at a set distance and angle from the outlet. ... otherwise its just opinion.

b) it means putting the std pipes on 1/yr, but I have to do that for some track days, so its not the end of the world
I said exactly the same! Its just down to the MOT testers opinion if it isnt measured with a meter but he printed out the relevant page from here to show me. Fraid aftee 20th May it will be a fail..

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ot-testers

Im taking the Mrs CBR down next week to avoid the slight inconvience after 20th May...standard pipes may become a good seller on eBay after that date!

Its going to be even worse for cars by the look of it..
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

podman wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 10:03 pm

I said exactly the same! Its just down to the MOT testers opinion if it isnt measured with a meter but he printed out the relevant page from here to show me. Fraid aftee 20th May it will be a fail..

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ot-testers

Im taking the Mrs CBR down next week to avoid the slight inconvience after 20th May...standard pipes may become a good seller on eBay after that date!

Its going to be even worse for cars by the look of it..
Good the 8 sets of std pipes Frank has will finally be worth something...Franks sitting on a Gold mine... :Woohoo1:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

I wouldn't worry too much about it.Removable baffles have been around for quite a while.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

I read through the bumf and there is nothing about noise, just the lack or damage to "Noise suppression material". Where does it say the tester opines about the noise of the exhaust?
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)