Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by Dave100 »

YETI wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:52 pmAnd an exhaust
Love that subframe 👍
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Washed Custurd after half a weeks rainy commuting.*

Ready for it's annual prod n poke by a nice man & his computer link to the MOT Gods.

Gonna be having a new front tyre as well, been riding in this week knowing the fronts balder than Yul Brynner...It's been setchy... :lol: :lol:

*I've been wetter than an otters pocket 4 fecking times this week... :lol:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Well that didn't go well...

So Steve the MOT guy starts the morning by changing the front tyre on Custurd, whilst he doing this he is checking variours things re the MOT.

Now it's not actually due untill the 24th next month but I like to get it in during the grace period you get.

So he fits a new tyre boxes the front end up...Front beraings are shagged... Thats a fail of course.

Now crucially he hasn't logged on to the MOT site so in theory It hasnt failed the MOT...It just wont pass... :lol: :lol:

To add to Custurds woes the rear disc is warpped as well...

So I pay for the tyre, grab some bearings off him & will steam into that later on, or maybe not as it blowing a hooly & spitting with rain, so tomorrow it is then... Dont think I have any seals though...which is a bit of a bummer...So do I reuse the old ones, order some new & pull it all apart again when I get them ? ... Or order new on Monday & risk using it until I get them & do it all in one?...However It is booked back in for next Saturday so I have to do it before then...

As an aside now It look as if VOSA are monitoring things more closely these days... When I booked this the other day he asked me if I had a full size plate & a reflector fitted...Talking to him today he was saying that he's had two spot checks recently... Shortly after logging off the MOT he's doing two bods from VOSA stroll in to check the MOT he has just done !

First one the bike had already gone so they didn't/couldn't do anything, Second one was a retest on a scooter, he had failed it previously but had kept the bike in to do the work needed but as it had gone past the 10 day retest period it had to be a compleat new MOT. So apparently he has just finished this second MOT logged off & the two VOSA blokes reappear... Then then proceed to quiz him about the MOT & go over the scooter again checking everything...

Apparently they have all in info on their smartphones, so they know when he is logged on & when the MOT is finished, so they must pick a tester to visit, plot up somewhere near, wait till their phones tell them he has logged on then just wait till it shows finished & strike...

Now where do you think you stand if it's your bike being tested, all finished & these bods turn up & want to basicaly retest it... Do you think you could refuse ? I doubt you could but say you had to be somewhere, maybe even going to work or an appointment how would that work... Personaly I'd be a bit peeved if it happend to me...

It's all a bit Big Brother I tell ya... Now where did I leave me TinFoil Hat... :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
nigelrb

Post by nigelrb »

^^^
That is truly interesting, Mac.

We all know the Big Brother effect is slowly taking over our lives, but this neds to be questioned. Could these 'field checkers' be making random calls, or might there be a possibility that someone has tipped in your guy as being a little too 'easy' with his tests? I get a few MoTs annually, and my most recent only weeks ago saw no probs and the usual discretion allowed over a few items. I have never been asked to fit a full size plate, despite all mine being 8 x 6.

I understand a tester needs to protect his licence and business, so we cannot expect small concessions, however, the 'blind eye' facility of many businesses and authorities is a trait we have enjoyed since the year dot. I guess it makes sense that there will be oversight of all MoT stations, and the more this comes to light, the more vigilant we will have to be when presenting our bikes for testing lest we start receiving more fails for minor discrepancies - removed pillion pegs probably at the top of the list.

I believe these field guys would have no powers of detention over a member of public if requesting to detain for a further inspection, but they'd certainly have power over the tester in the form of immediate suspension of tester's licence (pending further enquiry).

I've found a VERY interesting read: 8O

https://mattersoftesting.blog.gov.uk/ta ... -vehicles/
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

nigelrb wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:53 pm ^^^
That is truly interesting, Mac.

We all know the Big Brother effect is slowly taking over our lives, but this neds to be questioned. Could these 'field checkers' be making random calls, or might there be a possibility that someone has tipped in your guy as being a little too 'easy' with his tests? I get a few MoTs annually, and my most recent only weeks ago saw no probs and the usual discretion allowed over a few items. I have never been asked to fit a full size plate, despite all mine being 8 x 6.

I understand a tester needs to protect his licence and business, so we cannot expect small concessions, however, the 'blind eye' facility of many businesses and authorities is a trait we have enjoyed since the year dot. I guess it makes sense that there will be oversight of all MoT stations, and the more this comes to light, the more vigilant we will have to be when presenting our bikes for testing lest we start receiving more fails for minor discrepancies - removed pillion pegs probably at the top of the list.

I believe these field guys would have no powers of detention over a member of public if requesting to detain for a further inspection, but they'd certainly have power over the tester in the form of immediate suspension of tester's licence (pending further enquiry).

I've found a VERY interesting read: 8O

https://mattersoftesting.blog.gov.uk/ta ... -vehicles/
Popkat who is an MOT tester told me on our last Devon meet that my bike would fail the MOT as no rear footpegs fitted but it clearly had a pillion seat...If you have the seat pod on then there isn't a pillon seat so it would pass...I had taken it off purely as I had a bag strapped to the seat & didn't bother taking the pod with me... So no it wouldn't pass like that but then do we fit std exhausts or put baffles in to test just to take them off when you get home... I swap my LED bulb for a std one for the MOT...
nigelrb

Post by nigelrb »

MacV2 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:21 pm
Popkat who is an MOT tester told me on our last Devon meet that my bike would fail the MOT as no rear footpegs fitted but it clearly had a pillion seat...If you have the seat pod on then there isn't a pillon seat so it would pass...
I am well aware of that regulation and can share a funny story about it.

I was restoring a little aprilia RS50 but didn't have pillion pegs. The pillion seat was sort of integral with the rear end.

Pushing the envelope, I did a crap job of covering it in carbon wrap - the effect being that it didn't 'technically' constitute a pillion seat. Got the MoT. :lol:

Thinking outside the square brings rewards!
Attachments
Cowl 1.jpg
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Did the front wheel bearings & swapped a rear disc...

Cleaned the cack off the sprocket & carrier whilst it was off...hmmm crusty minging chain lube...nice... :lol:
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

Took it for MOT passed with a couple of advisories, but still passed.
Tyres almost out
Front brake pads almost out
Rear disc lipped and slight run by out
Tbh I was aware of the issues but didn't expect them to be flagged, but as discussed in another thread the testers do seem to be covering themselves.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Took back to se Steve for the full MOT, having done the bearings & the rear disc...

All Ok cept I need to adjust the rear brake light switch & keep an eye on the chain... head bearings & fork seals...Not much then but it passed...

Just 12335 miles done this year... :lol: :lol: :lol:

As it's now over 78k miles it's no wonder bits are starting to wear out, bit like me I suppose @ 56 years young... :lol: :lol:
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

MacV2 wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:44 pm Took back to se Steve for the full MOT, having done the bearings & the rear disc...

All Ok cept I need to adjust the rear brake light switch & keep an eye on the chain... head bearings & fork seals...Not much then but it passed...

As it's now over 78k miles it's no wonder bits are starting to wear out, bit like me I suppose @ 56 years young... :lol: :lol:
56? You started clocking yourself and letting the bike rack up the miles!!!! :wink:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Kev L wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:53 pm
MacV2 wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:44 pm Took back to se Steve for the full MOT, having done the bearings & the rear disc...

56? You started clocking yourself and letting the bike rack up the miles!!!! :wink:
Yes Thursday...What ? Speak up! Bloody youth of today...
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

:lol:
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Took the Transalp in for an MoT, which it passed with no issues. It bloody should with 10,000 miles on it since 2004!
Whilst I’m on here does anyone have a Cardo Scalia and a Tomtom rider. I bought a Cardo Q3 and rider v5 to keep on the Alp. The tomtom recognises the scala but I’m not hearing guidance through the comms. It’s making phone calls which works with the headset and boom mike. I’m missing something (nothing from you there ta Mac :lol: ) but not sure what!
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Kev L wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:45 pm Took the Transalp in for an MoT, which it passed with no issues. It bloody should with 10,000 miles on it since 2004!
Whilst I’m on here does anyone have a Cardo Scalia and a Tomtom rider. I bought a Cardo Q3 and rider v5 to keep on the Alp. The tomtom recognises the scala but I’m not hearing guidance through the comms. It’s making phone calls which works with the headset and boom mike. I’m missing something (nothing from you there ta Mac :lol: ) but not sure what!
Kev, it might be as simple as having to turn the volume up, I have scala and garmin, but found that I need to set the volume for each separate input. Passenger comms, music, gps and phone all need adjusted separately , but you can only do that when they are the active channel!
AMcQ
nigelrb

Post by nigelrb »

Bloody hell, you guys and your modern tech.

I've only just progressed from my Crystal set to a small transistor AA battery radio. :(