what have you done to your "bike" today

General Biker Banter
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by Pete.L »

MacV2 wrote:
KermitLeFrog wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:41 pm After 6000 miles I finally have the TV4 suspension where I want it. Having a helper for the sag was the break-through and the final tweak of a few clicks less front compression. Took a very wet ride over to Dumfries with WellGroomed Andy yesterday and a juddering mess has been transformed into a magic carpet (ish).

Looking back on how it came out of the factory it was set up for a very skinny person on a racetrack. No wonder Alastair liked it. I am a very non-skinny person on the road.

For those interested Edward is OK. Planning on the two wheeled replacement and fighting with the authorities to get transferred to Hexham hospital. He lives in Hexham. There are a number of problems. Does the Scottish ambulance go to the border and transfer to an English ambulance? Does the Scottish ambulance enter England? Does an English ambulance risk going north of the border. He also needs an English consultant to take over his case when wires and pins need to be removed. Who pays for it? England want Scotland to pay for it as it happened on their turf.

The only way for the pelvis fractures to knit is to lie in bed for 6 weeks. He's had a week and he's losing muscle tone already. Surprisingly he's quite cheerful. And that's without very many drugs. I'd be moaning for Morphine every hour. The hand is now good (and one hell of a colour) as the tendon was simply misplaced and not sawn though by the broken bones.

On a final note, if you want to crash do it near Dumfries. The hospital is brand new, the staff are amazing. Even the food is reasonable and the car parking is free. Way to go!
So I take it that Edward had a spill whilst attending the Scotish bash... So far there have been no other posts about this so we is all none the wiser about what happend...

Sounds nasty whatever happend...Wish him a speedy & full recovery from me... :thumbup:

Mac
Yep, Out of respect for his dead Triumph ( which I can now confirm don’t fly or bounce very well) Nothing was said until we knew the out come Image
Now we know he’s on the mend everything is rosey again. Well, until he’s well enough for his Mrs to take
A chunk out of himImage then he’s in real trouble🤣

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

AMCQ46 wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:28 pm yes Mac, we were keeping a bit quiet about it as we wanted to make sure he was OK, ... it was a big crash! and he is not on the Forum, he is a mate of Kermits, so only those from Scotland & Ireland meets, had met him.

Edward was mid pack, but probably not close enough to the bikes infront to get the early warning from them, and he ran wide on a blind, tightening, right hand bend. Although it was not a fast turn, there was a 6ft drop off on the outside and below that the field was dropping away at a fairly steep angle. .... so he ran onto the grass, flew off the road, over the retaining wall, which had a single stone layer sticking up on the road side, and landed down in the field. a At least 3 of the group went past the crash site without spotting him off to the left, as you had to pay attention to the road and the up coming left turn.
Fortunately one of the NI boys, on a big adventure Triumph 1200, spotted something silver in the field in his peripheral vision, and when he did a double take, it was a bike. given how remote the location was, it was impressive that the Mountain rescue were passing [on their way home from a practice drill] and started the emergency care, and they contacted a local doctor who just happened to be close by taking an old cooker to the tip!

at least half of us were already down in the little town waiting at the next junction and I had sent most of them to the petrol station when I got the "man down" call, so Grumpyfrog and Mark Vtr2000, ended up in the field to assist, and they did a great job.

He had a badly broken hand, a compound fracture on his collar bone, a few broken ribs and worst of all a broken pelvis ... so was in a lot of pain, and we had to manually carry him out of the field and push him up teh 6ft wall!!!!

Iain, glad to hear he is recovering, but its a shame the border politics are hampering his repartiation back to Hexham!!!
WOW! Nasty indeed...

Well keep us updated on his recovery...& as said wish him a swift recovery.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Obviously I don't know Edward, but wish him well and a successful recovery from me,

Chris.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Refitted the freshly serviced shock, some fine tuning of the exhaust fit and knocked up a new dash to hold the lap timer and replace the joke of a bracket that was there already.
New dash
New dash
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

freeridenick wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:45 pm Refitted the freshly serviced shock, some fine tuning of the exhaust fit and knocked up a new dash to hold the lap timer and replace the joke of a bracket that was there already.

39664870_246753039510652_1794406588597927936_n.jpg
I can hardly believe how much of a difference the chrome bezel makes the VTR rev counter look :)
I like the markers :thumbup:

Chris.
BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

sirch345 wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:35 pm Obviously I don't know Edward, but wish him well and a successful recovery from me,

Chris.
ditto from me

Went for an MOT. Passed.
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

BigVeeGrin wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:02 pm
sirch345 wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:35 pm Obviously I don't know Edward, but wish him well and a successful recovery from me,

Chris.
ditto from me

me too
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

he is now able to move his fingers and type messages on WhatsApp, so we know that today he was allowed to walk to the toilet ... although it exhausted him, that is pretty impressive so soon after a broken pelvis!
AMcQ
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

As I had a day off and India needed only one wkt, went for a long bimble up the A12 and A47 in practice for Wales Storm Fest in September.

Stopped off in the morning at the Suffolk Food Hall cafe (sorry Jonesy!) nr the Orwell Bridge for a bacon buttie, coffee & pastry with the yummy mummies.

Then up to to visit Kessingland and its apparently unimmpresive pebble beach, but I was a few years late to meet the original locals.

Next up was Gt. Yarmouth which wasn't very great except for the much needed two scoop coffee icecream while watching day trippers by the seaside in the sun - not a pretty sight!

Much more my cup of tea was quaint Walberswick and watching the two clinker built ferry rowboats hard at work tripping back & forth in a Mobius loop about 20m to the Southwold side.

And the finale was a drink at picturesque Pin Mill famous for its connection with Arthur Ransome of Swallows and Amazons fame.

Back home early evening after 200 miles - just one tankful for the Trumpet without missing a beat. Only other bikes out I saw were a Blackbird & a ZX7R but that was in rushour traffic back over the Orwell Bridge probably heading home or to Gt Bentley village green bike night.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Great day at Oulton yesterday. The fueling is spot on thanks to Andy at Junction 33 and after a little tip from a guy on the Facebook page the shifting is now lovely. The open airbox is LOUD though. That or I need new earplugs.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Feeling a bit old now so bought a BMW RT for £200.
73,000 miles so nearly run in.
Wonder if I can get it running?
If not, it'll make me a fair profit breaking it.
Last edited by tony.mon on Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

freeridenick wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:08 pm Great day at Oulton yesterday. The fueling is spot on thanks to Andy at Junction 33 and after a little tip from a guy on the Facebook page the shifting is now lovely. The open airbox is LOUD though. That or I need new earplugs.
True, I felt a bit antisocial with the sound, currently running closed lid with pipercross and like it more. Power is still here, but without feel of greedy monster after opening throttle. Plus it seems I will be able to tune it better until I fit fuel pump.
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

Chris.
I second that, your biking family are wishing you a speedy recovery.

We all know what it's like to have a man down on a ride, we had a few during the early storm rides.
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

Hoping that in-between the decorating, I will now fit the exhausts after modifying it slightly. I think I will make some brackets this weekend so I can upsweep the exhausts to the angle of the SP.

Then on to changing the damaged radiator pipes, fit the steering dampener, yippee.
cheekykev

Post by cheekykev »

Good, are we going to see this FireStorm at the Wales meeting ?
it's about time we did, it's taking longer than Flatlines Duke.
Like what you do
Do what you like
He who wonders isn't always lost