what have you done to your "bike" today

General Biker Banter
VTRDark

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by VTRDark »

Rubbed down the front wheel. Polished wheel spindle and nut, sprayed rads in Easwood satin finish, polished the rad fan and rad cap and a nice pair of ASV levers turned up in the post. I bought a scissor jack hoping that I could use it under the sump to jack the front up while on the Abba to make removal of both wheels simple but the bloody thing lifts the whole bike as well as the Abba :(

I shall have to play around with that but it's not see sawing as I hoped. This was from the swingarm mounts and if it was on the engine mounts I suspect with the extra height it would have worked. It doesn't help that I dont have the weight of the rear wheel on. I may have to revert back to using a bit of timber under the front head but I can't lift the bike and place the timber under at the same time. Maybe I should move the scissor jack forward onto the starter. Not ideal but I could use a block of wood with a V cut out in it to help support and protect things more. I can see myself purchasing a front headstock stand one day. I don't like the Abba front lift device. That's pants

==============================Enter the Darkside
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

now I have rear bobbins fitted, using the abba lift arm is a doddle. wouldn't be without it these days carlos..... :thumbup:
sounds like your making headway dude. i'll pop in again before I head back mate :wave:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
xeris

Post by xeris »

Made an Abba type stand from info found on this thread (a big thank you to bikerpiker).
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... c9daeab911
I'm very pleased with how it works. Lifts the rear wheel with only a light load on the front. I can lift the front wheel off the floor with one hand while placing support under the bottom case with the other hand. Both wheels are then off the floor. Quite stable.
The only negative was while learning to use it, the screw that applies the clamping force put some scratches on the front sprocket cover. Haven't had that happen since the first couple on lifts.
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”
~ Mark Twain
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Out & about early for a bimble on the hottest day of the year so far. First stop at Doc's for a repeat prescription, second stop Tollesbury for a snack - little independent butcher with a mad glint in eye and blood splatters on his apron that was selling sausage roll by the length, also tempted into getting a large steak & kidney pie for dinner. :thumbup:

Onwards to sunny Maldon Hythe river front - lots of old folk out in the sunshine roaming about in gangs looking for trouble. Found the twin headlights of the Tiger were noticed by a couple of drivers who were going to pull out but stopped at the last minute. :cool2

Bit early for lunch so headed towards Burnham upon Crouch all was going well until the worlds biggest & slowest artic ruined the Burnham Bends :problem: Stopped at cafe where all the other middle aged men with big black bikes and time on their hands were hanging about. Weapon of choice today were Blackbirds, KTMs and a MT-O9 glinting with matching annodised bits - nibbled my sausage roll in a non suggestive way :shifty: and bought a rum & raisin icecream (two big healthy blobs in a cone) and wandered over to the roughty toughty gang of desperados wondering if my Triumph (with no anodised tat) was cool enough...

Saw this and thought maybe a blackbird sidestand could sort it out. On the way back the way I came there was a big dead roadkill Badger and gave thanks to Lloydie clearing me a safe path home. Filled the tank up (£23) and wobbled the weighty beast back home for 1.30pm and out my leathers ASAP and into a hot sweet cuppa.

:beer:
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

class looking run you had :clap: ..
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Got fed up with paying nearly 100 pounds a month for car parking at work and so got the CB600 out of the shed, hasn't been used for six months.
Being a Honda it started straight up, fixed the front brake light switch (sticky, freed it off) and the horn ( two tone nautilus fitted, neither worked so fitted an old Storm one) and it's ready for the Mot sat at 09.00.

I'll have to find an hour tonight to get it insured between getting home from work and heading out to see Dreadzone at the Forum, Tunbridge Wells, which is a great little venue made from a converted public toilet block.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

tony.mon wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:39 am ...heading out to see Dreadzone at the Forum...
Blimey. I didn't realise they were still going.
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

freeridenick wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:58 am
tony.mon wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:39 am ...heading out to see Dreadzone at the Forum...
Blimey. I didn't realise they were still going.
Tony or Dreadzone!
:D
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Wicky wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:48 pm Out & about early for a bimble on the hottest day of the year so far. First stop at Doc's for a repeat prescription, second stop Tollesbury for a snack - little independent butcher with a mad glint in eye and blood splatters on his apron that was selling sausage roll by the length, also tempted into getting a large steak & kidney pie for dinner. :thumbup:

Onwards to sunny Maldon Hythe river front - lots of old folk out in the sunshine roaming about in gangs looking for trouble. Found the twin headlights of the Tiger were noticed by a couple of drivers who were going to pull out but stopped at the last minute. :cool2

Bit early for lunch so headed towards Burnham upon Crouch all was going well until the worlds biggest & slowest artic ruined the Burnham Bends :problem: Stopped at cafe where all the other middle aged men with big black bikes and time on their hands were hanging about. Weapon of choice today were Blackbirds, KTMs and a MT-O9 glinting with matching annodised bits - nibbled my sausage roll in a non suggestive way :shifty: and bought a rum & raisin icecream (two big healthy blobs in a cone) and wandered over to the roughty toughty gang of desperados wondering if my Triumph (with no anodised tat) was cool enough...

Saw this and thought maybe a blackbird sidestand could sort it out. On the way back the way I came there was a big dead roadkill Badger and gave thanks to Lloydie clearing me a safe path home. Filled the tank up (£23) and wobbled the weighty beast back home for 1.30pm and out my leathers ASAP and into a hot sweet cuppa.

:beer:
Good to see the photo's Wicky :thumbup:

I'm glad you could make the most of the great weather,

Chris.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

MOT'ed the big yellow one yesterday [Passed], the brought the little Kawasaki in for its MOT today ... don't know if it passed yet, but it was fun thrashing it to work
AMcQ
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Not today but yesterday I went out with Deshevelled. Have cracked 1100 miles on the Ape and am gradually getting used to riding it. It was pretty horrid up on the grouse moor..

I was also testing out the "Multimedia Platform" which connects to your phone by Bluetooth. I'm not interested in the "Multimedia" stuff. I much prefer V4 music and I certainly don't want to answer my phone. The info on the dashboard and trip meter of the app is total rubbish

but... THE LOGGING WORKS! Send the text file by email and open it in Excel (or similar) and you can data sort to your hearts content. The files become quite large and chew through the phone battery but the information is fascinating.

Sort on max speed or max roll or lateral g or whatever you fancy and then punch the map co-ordinates into Google to see where you were. The map co-ordinates seem to be a few metres out but it's obvious you are on the road and not 20 metres into a sheep paddock alongside the road.

I've extracted a nice gentle (for obvious reasons) 40s part of yesterdays ride as an illustration of the data provided. I'm really quite impressed.

Take a look here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bak0vsp7cq1tx ... .xlsx?dl=0

I'm heading South towards Blanchland in County Durham. A lovely little spot.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/...4!4d-2.0550425

Happy days.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
spanner boy

Post by spanner boy »

Finishing off mcct fitting. Had a near miss, on the rebuild I wasn't completely happy with the feel of the cam guide small bolt on the rear cylinder. Bike up and running but not feeling happy so pulled the rear down again and had another look. On closer inspection found that the bolt was necking and on the verge of shearing. None in stock so now one on order. Happy to have found it BUT bike off road and missing this weather 😒
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

VTRDark wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:14 pm Rubbed down the front wheel. Polished wheel spindle and nut, sprayed rads in Easwood satin finish, polished the rad fan and rad cap and a nice pair of ASV levers turned up in the post. I bought a scissor jack hoping that I could use it under the sump to jack the front up while on the Abba to make removal of both wheels simple but the bloody thing lifts the whole bike as well as the Abba :(

I shall have to play around with that but it's not see sawing as I hoped. This was from the swingarm mounts and if it was on the engine mounts I suspect with the extra height it would have worked. It doesn't help that I dont have the weight of the rear wheel on. I may have to revert back to using a bit of timber under the front head but I can't lift the bike and place the timber under at the same time. Maybe I should move the scissor jack forward onto the starter. Not ideal but I could use a block of wood with a V cut out in it to help support and protect things more. I can see myself purchasing a front headstock stand one day. I don't like the Abba front lift device. That's pants

I use a jack under the sump with Abba stand lifts the front no problem. Your probably correct in thinking not the same from the engine mounts.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Seviced Custard & 56 & a bit K...

OIl, plugs & air fillter.

Visit from VanStub, did his plugs as well & checked carb balance. He now has a bit of work so I told him book time off for DevonStorm as the chalet is paid for... :thumbup:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
podman

Post by podman »

KermitLeFrog wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:48 am Not today but yesterday I went out with Deshevelled. Have cracked 1100 miles on the Ape and am gradually getting used to riding it. It was pretty horrid up on the grouse moor..

I was also testing out the "Multimedia Platform" which connects to your phone by Bluetooth. I'm not interested in the "Multimedia" stuff. I much prefer V4 music and I certainly don't want to answer my phone. The info on the dashboard and trip meter of the app is total rubbish

but... THE LOGGING WORKS! Send the text file by email and open it in Excel (or similar) and you can data sort to your hearts content. The files become quite large and chew through the phone battery but the information is fascinating.

Sort on max speed or max roll or lateral g or whatever you fancy and then punch the map co-ordinates into Google to see where you were. The map co-ordinates seem to be a few metres out but it's obvious you are on the road and not 20 metres into a sheep paddock alongside the road.

I've extracted a nice gentle (for obvious reasons) 40s part of yesterdays ride as an illustration of the data provided. I'm really quite impressed.

Take a look here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bak0vsp7cq1tx ... .xlsx?dl=0

Happy days.
Looked like a great ride out Ian, the spreadsheet is mind boggling! I was impressed by the consistent water temperature if not the roll angle.. :biggrin Its all there isnt it? Id bore my Mrs shitless if I had that to play with... :thumbup: