what have you done to your "bike" today

General Biker Banter
podman

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by podman »

MacV2 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:21 pm
podman wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:34 pm You aiming for the old Benneton look with that storm Mac?!

Be interested to hear how much better the HID is.

First ride of 2018 for me today, anyone else get out?
Nah the Benneton look has been done already. Plus I dont have any green...I have a red bikini I could put on it...I just swapped the fairing over as it's less of a faff than changing the light only...

I'll find out on Tuesday morn if the light makes a differnce, first 7 to 8 miles is mostly unlit...I hve a better than std bulb in anyway & it's still shite...

First ride of 2018...ya wuss been riding into work all year... :lol: :lol:
I have noticed how shite the storm light is even compared
to my RD500 .

I dont envy you having to ride a bike into work in the Winter Mac, I can still remember the pain in my hands as they thawed out, held just above the cylinder head on my old SB, no heated gloves n kit back then .

I do around 1000 miles a week with plenty of kit onboard, most days the car would be quicker than the bike too I reckon. Pleasure only for me in me old(er) age,
my brother still commutes all year round and tells me how soft ive gone , guilty as charged!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Having changed jobs before Christmas I now have an annoyingly short commute.
Too long to walk, the bus goes all round the houses and schools and takes almost an hour, putting bike gear on and off at both ends would make it twenty minutes, car is fifteen.

So I'm selling the 600 commuter as it isn't being used at all.

I'd rather be on the bike, but it takes longer, and the duvet won't let me leave early enough.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

MacV2 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:58 pm Final fit & finish on the Red Shed that Vanstub has purchased...

Put the fairings on & gave it a polish...He just needs to tax & insure & pick it up.

Looking wheelie good (from a distance... :lol: :lol: )

Then swapped the fairing over on Custard with the one off The Underseal Special...Blonkey. It has a HID conversion on the headlight, find out if it's any good on Tues morning when I head off to work @ 06.45...

Maybe I should start calling it Joseph ?
Nice to see Steve has joined the red brigade
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

MacV2 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:58 pm Final fit & finish on the Red Shed that Vanstub has purchased...

Put the fairings on & gave it a polish...He just needs to tax & insure & pick it up.

Looking wheelie good (from a distance... :lol: :lol: )

Then swapped the fairing over on Custard with the one off The Underseal Special...Blonkey. It has a HID conversion on the headlight, find out if it's any good on Tues morning when I head off to work @ 06.45...

Good work Mac :thumbup:

Chris.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Had a bit of a tidying, organising and cleaning session, bits for sale to be posted tomorrow, but mostly spent the day straightening radiator fins. :cry:
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

MacV2 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:58 pm

So the HID expiriment kinda failed...Whilst the light is 1000x's better than the std bulb...Two issues...

1. It seems like it's constantly flashing, it's not on & off as such but more of a very pronounced wobble, bulb is in ok & not moving as such it just seems to be constanly moving about. Maybe the std one does the same but not really noticed as it's not as bright.

2. Whilst it was ok on Tues & Weds...This morning it cut out whilst on the way out...I had a car both in front & behind me so didnt really notice at first...Then I realised the cats eyes were not really visable...Turned off & on & it came on...phew ! Was bit more aware on the rest of the way & had to reset a few more times.

So I cant be having that so when I got home off came the fairing & back on with the yella one . I did tho nick the cheap chinese LED H4 bulb that I had in Nue Red, bungged that in Custard & bolted it all back up ready for the morning.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

spent another cold night getting my dam seat unit to fit the subframe on the blue one :D . so i had to build a mini subframe to bolt to the subframe to bolt to the seat... :eek2 then get the light to fit :eek2 .

every inch this dam bike fights me...
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

fabiostar wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:33 pm spent another cold night getting my dam seat unit to fit the subframe on the blue one :D . so i had to build a mini subframe to bolt to the subframe to bolt to the seat... :eek2 then get the light to fit :eek2 .

It just wants your attention...
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

tony.mon wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:37 pm
fabiostar wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:33 pm spent another cold night getting my dam seat unit to fit the subframe on the blue one :D . so i had to build a mini subframe to bolt to the subframe to bolt to the seat... :eek2 then get the light to fit :eek2 .

It just wants your attention...
:lol: :lol: its gona get a big stick shortly lol
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

MacV2 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:02 pm
MacV2 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:58 pm

So the HID expiriment kinda failed...Whilst the light is 1000x's better than the std bulb...Two issues...

1. It seems like it's constantly flashing, it's not on & off as such but more of a very pronounced wobble, bulb is in ok & not moving as such it just seems to be constanly moving about. Maybe the std one does the same but not really noticed as it's not as bright.

2. Whilst it was ok on Tues & Weds...This morning it cut out whilst on the way out...I had a car both in front & behind me so didnt really notice at first...Then I realised the cats eyes were not really visable...Turned off & on & it came on...phew ! Was bit more aware on the rest of the way & had to reset a few more times.

So I cant be having that so when I got home off came the fairing & back on with the yella one . I did tho nick the cheap chinese LED H4 bulb that I had in Nue Red, bungged that in Custard & bolted it all back up ready for the morning.

Update to the update... Sooooo the cheap as chips LED bulb I bought back in 2016 fo 99p...Is brilliant litraly brilliant... :lol:

I really wasn't expecting much but what a good bulb. On dip on the unlit country roads it gave a good range & lit up the l/h verge very well. When behind a car at about 25' I could see that it wasn't right in their mirror which is good... For filltering cagers seemed to notice it well which is a real bonus... :thumbup:

Still have a bit of 'wobble' but I supose thats just general vibes from the bumps & lumps of our fantastic roads...As the light is so much brighter I suppose it just shows up more that the std bulb...

Will it pass the MOT ? Some how I doubt it but it wont be hard to stick a normal bulb in for the test... :shh:

Would I recommend it...Yes. If you have any night time running to do the yes it is sooo much better than a std bulb... :thumbup:

I cant find the exact match from the buyer I got it from...This one is the same spec...just a bit more expensive...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20W-COB-LED- ... SwFO5aU48D

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
popkat

Post by popkat »

I've MOT'd a few with led bulbs like yours and I've had to fail them, they don't put the beam out right, there's no cut off and no kick, just a big slodge of light, very bright though :thumbup:

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

popkat wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:41 pm I've MOT'd a few with led bulbs like yours and I've had to fail them, they don't put the beam out right, there's no cut off and no kick, just a big slodge of light, very bright though :thumbup:

Thought that would be the case...10 mins to change bulb over before it's next test..no worries... :shifty:
podman

Post by podman »

MacV2 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:14 pm
popkat wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:41 pm I've MOT'd a few with led bulbs like yours and I've had to fail them, they don't put the beam out right, there's no cut off and no kick, just a big slodge of light, very bright though :thumbup:

Thought that would be the case...10 mins to change bulb over before it's next test..no worries... :shifty:
Useful info both, ive ordered one now...cheers
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

same here, iv ordered one for the yellow one to give it a go. i cant see sh1t at night so need the extra light :sad2
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

3x batteries, 3x starter relays, 1x diff starter, 1x relay to starter cable...

Fecker still wont fire up.

Spk to Guru Mons, the starter I put on may be fubar...So tomorrow I'll borrow one off A.N. Other bike (prob Dresden as the bolt looks ok...)

If that fails I'm pushing it away from the village & settin fire to the bloody thing or get one of the others sorted, the other bucket of shite I bought needs CCT's sorting amongst other things...Although Tony tried to sell me his 600 commuter hack... :lol:

Works cool with me not coming in, swapping a booked day off next week so be able to crack on with it tomorrow...

Had to give up 30 mins ago as the snow was getting heavier & my bloody hands were starting to freeze... 8O