what have you done to your "bike" today

General Biker Banter
fabiostar

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by fabiostar »

Boring oily stuff. changed all the fluids on both of the girls..thats me for the year :clap:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

busy Saturday getting the crash damage repaired.

1) set of replacement forks / yokes / mudguard bought off an owner on FB. shame he didn't wrap the mudguard in some bubble wrap!!!! and have you ever seen a headset where the bottom brg is std and the top one is a taper!!!!!!!! ...... but the legs were clean and straight.

2) my forks stripped, replacement forks stripped, chrome legs swapped over and new bushes fitted .. but seals not turned up yet so cant full with oil and finish them yet.

3) Bottom brg removed from replacement yoke and taper set fitted. yokes back in bike and tensioned up.

4) both wheels taken to tyre shop and new set of Mich PR2s fitted.. plus they checked the front rim and said it was not buckled so that is a result.

5) as the replacement mudguard was damaged in transit I decided to do a basic fix on the carbon one that was on the bike during the crash, so It will go back on even though it has some marks on it.... looks fine to me

so just need the forks seals and dust caps to arrive and finish the fork rebuild then get it all back together.

I still plan to send the fork legs off to be straightened, then I will replicate the Roger mods on the spare forks, repaint them and rebuild them with a set of linear springs I have in the spares cupboard. So will have a fresh set of forks as back up or to sell later.

I also got a set of SV650 clip-ons with the front end, so I am probably going to put them up for sale later
AMcQ
podman

Post by podman »

I had the storm modeled as a cake topper(and the Mrs CBR) for our wedding cake, looks like the maker prefers the street fighter look..and my head ended up caved in...

The tyre tasted fab!

[url]Image
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Looks very nice congrats
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Booked the bike and myself on the channel tunnel for July.
Booked an overnight at la motte roughly half way down.
And bought some ti sprocket nuts.
Probably should have checked to see if it already had some, but we'll see....
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
podman

Re: what have you done to your

Post by podman »

lloydie wrote:Looks very nice ImageImageImage congrats ImageImageImageImageImage
Thanks, I think I was very lucky as my good lady put up with a lot of bike related staging on the day!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Congratulations Podman to you and your better half :clap:

That's a crackin' cake, love the tyre :lol:

Chris.
Watty

Post by Watty »

podman wrote:I had the storm modeled as a cake topper(and the Mrs CBR) for our wedding cake, looks like the maker prefers the street fighter look..and my head ended up caved in...

The tyre tasted fab!

[url]Image
Congratulations mate, best wishes for the future :thumbup:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Rode to work as per normal except it started hissing down about 5 miles to go...

Drowned Rat...Stuff still damp on way home...much fun in the gusty crosswinds... 8O
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
eezee29

Post by eezee29 »

Congrats Podman and that is 1 royally awesome looking cake
trying very hard to get over the 50 posts hurdle :lol:
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

This story takes the long way around so bear with me. It was a really beautiful day two weeks ago. It was also the day I go to my motorcycle store client's for meetings so I took the Honda VFR800. Bear in mind that I rode it the Sunday before over 250 miles and it was fine. As I backed it out of the shop I noticed that the clock was wrong. I noticed because I set the clock on Sunday. To my thinking this signals a bad or marginal battery. It started right up so I didn’t give it much thought but while I was at the store I thought about buying a new battery. I would have except the tools to install it were all tucked away and it would have been a pain in the butt to haul back under a cargo net on the seat.

On the ride home I took the long way, behind the landfill, through Blue Ridge and then on to the road to Celeste. This road eventually winds its way around and dumps you on to highway 78 two miles from my house. It's as nice and scenic as you can get in rural Texas, not counting the dump. As luck would have it there was a construction crew working on the road and I had to stop and switch off the bike. It took forever to clear the road and when I switched the bike on again the starter just grunted. I tried to bump it off but it just wouldn’t catch. The flagman came over and pushed me and that did the trick.

It banged off but by the time I got home the battery was truly dead. No grunting or anything. I did get a new battery but then I became uneasy about the battery in the VTR. It is the original battery from back before the rebuild. It has never given me any problems but I am a big believer in replacing batteries before they quit. So that's what I did today.

I also pulled out the carb stick to check the balance on the carbs. It had been acting like it was pulling uneven off idle and i just wanted to have a quick check. I have vacuum line attached and tucked behind the frame. Checking the carb balance is as easy as finding the lines and hooking them up to my home made balance stick. The carbs were in balance but the vacuum lines had perished rubber caps and they were leaking vacuum. I got the lines plugged up and it runds a lot better not off idle.
Motorcycling is a tool with which you can accomplish something meaningful in your life. It is an art." Theresa Wallach
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

You were very lucky to make it home Jim :thumbup:

I'm like you as in rather replace a battery before it lets you down if you can.
I did have a battery on the VTR fail on me once and I had to struggle on my own to run it off, it took a few attempts.

Interesting how the clock had highlighted a problem early on. I had a similar thing on the VTR with the Digi gear indicator playing up. I didn't know why it was doing it at the time (showing it was in a different gear than it actually was). It was only when I pulled over, turned the engine off to re-set the gear indicator I found out, not enough power to restart the bike. At least I know now if that happens again,

Chris.
Steve6088

Post by Steve6088 »

AMCQ46 wrote:busy Saturday getting the crash damage repaired.

1) set of replacement forks / yokes / mudguard bought off an owner on FB. shame he didn't wrap the mudguard in some bubble wrap!!!! and have you ever seen a headset where the bottom brg is std and the top one is a taper!!!!!!!! ...... but the legs were clean and straight.

2) my forks stripped, replacement forks stripped, chrome legs swapped over and new bushes fitted .. but seals not turned up yet so cant full with oil and finish them yet.

3) Bottom brg removed from replacement yoke and taper set fitted. yokes back in bike and tensioned up.

4) both wheels taken to tyre shop and new set of Mich PR2s fitted.. plus they checked the front rim and said it was not buckled so that is a result.

5) as the replacement mudguard was damaged in transit I decided to do a basic fix on the carbon one that was on the bike during the crash, so It will go back on even though it has some marks on it.... looks fine to me

so just need the forks seals and dust caps to arrive and finish the fork rebuild then get it all back together.

I still plan to send the fork legs off to be straightened, then I will replicate the Roger mods on the spare forks, repaint them and rebuild them with a set of linear springs I have in the spares cupboard. So will have a fresh set of forks as back up or to sell later.

I also got a set of SV650 clip-ons with the front end, so I am probably going to put them up for sale later

I've missed this. Have you had a bit of a tumble? Hope you're okay Al.

I've got a spare vtr front end from my blade conversion you could have had cheap if I'd seen. I havn't been able to log in for ages.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Steve6088 wrote:
AMCQ46 wrote:busy Saturday getting the crash damage repaired.

I've missed this. Have you had a bit of a tumble? Hope you're okay Al.

I've got a spare vtr front end from my blade conversion you could have had cheap if I'd seen. I havn't been able to log in for ages.
Wondered where you had disappeared to Steve, good to se you back.

My bollok is on the mend now although a bit lonely Image. and bike got off really lightly as it didn't touch the ground

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AMcQ
podman

Post by podman »

Ive been, what I would call, deep cleaning a 1200 GS for someone , it had seen a Scottish Winter or two and needed 6.5 hours worth of elbow grease on it and approx £20-25 worth of materials.

Im thinking about doing this as a sideline, if anyone was interested in this sort of service, how much would you be prepared to pay for it?

Some before and afters.

[url]Image

After.

[url]Image

Before

[url]Image

[url]Image

After.

[url]Image

[url]Image

Etc

[url]Image

:)

[url]Image

:o

[url]Image

:thumbup:

[url]Image

Some effort required her..

[url]Image

[url]Image

Much better

[url]Image

[url]Image

Paintwork after some scratch removal and a polish.

[url]Image

[url]Image