what have you done to your "bike" today

General Biker Banter
fatfreddy000

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by fatfreddy000 »

fatfreddy000 wrote:Fist day working on her yesterday.

Installed alarm and GPS speed camera alert unit off my old bike.
Replaced broken LH footpeg (new pair)
Secured tail light- still plenty of play to reduce vibration to bulbs.
Fixed/replaced numerous bad connectotors and cleaned up all contacts in connector blocks.
Refitted seat cowl a little snugger- still needs repair to rear mount where plastic has broken off.
Secured rh can hanger.
Removed horrid rusty flame cut exhaust heat shields. Had to tap out 8mm threads in the holes that were left and screw in stainless Allen bolts to fill.
Replaced cable ties in the brake hose p-clips with stainless m6 bolts.
Freed up seized disc bobbins to see if I can improve situation with front discs- they are better but still not turning freely with my fingers..

In addition ordered a new heavy chain and lock, GPS tracker, LED stop tail bulbs as both tails have gone anyway,
New tyres, centre/paddock stand.

Tons to do still, next things are:
Sort those bobbins out,
Rear brake calliper service.
Headstock bearings
Forks (terrible at present) probably will send to roger..
“If all insects on Earth disappeared, within 50 years all life on Earth would end. If all human beings disappeared from the Earth, within 50 years all forms of life would flourish.” Biologist Jonas Salk
MacV2

Re: what have you done to someone else's"bike" today

Post by MacV2 »

Murvs bike rear end off, old engine out, new one in... swapped out the flywheel as that was missing off the new lump

Swingarm cleaned up by Murv then swapped the linkage over with a fully refurbed one

Swing arm back in. wheel in all boxed up...

Keeps blowing a 10amp fuse when you turn the ingnition on... :confused

Meanwhile over in the black corner...Steves bike fluids in...electrical gremlin sorted...Bike starts....Hooorayyyy!

Few more bits to do just to finish it off.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Spent a couple of hours sorting a few bits on the SP2, fitted a new heavy duty clutch pack, fitted captive spacers in the rear wheel, and fitted a set of Ti bolts in the rear disc.
Three undone ok, but one was stuck, the hex stripped out and it required the attention of a hammer and centre punch.
Now at least it knows I'm not one for messing around.....

I'll give the Sigma slipper a little workout tomorrow, it should be more effective now the new friction plates are in.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

MacV2 wrote:Murvs bike rear end off, old engine out, new one in... swapped out the flywheel as that was missing off the new lump

Swingarm cleaned up by Murv then swapped the linkage over with a fully refurbed one

Meanwhile over in the black corner...Steves bike fluids in...electrical gremlin sorted...Bike starts....Hooorayyyy!

Re the fuse blowing- unplug everything at the connector set by the battery, turn it on then, if fuse is still intact, plug in one ata time until one pops the fuse.
That should put you on the right track to find the short.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

tony.mon wrote:
MacV2 wrote:Murvs bike rear end off, old engine out, new one in... swapped out the flywheel as that was missing off the new lump

Re the fuse blowing- unplug everything at the connector set by the battery, turn it on then, if fuse is still intact, plug in one ata time until one pops the fuse.
Good advice will try that...Murv has to pick some fuses up in the morning.
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

228 miles, A tank full.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

MacV2 wrote:
tony.mon wrote:

So all sorted today despite a small oil leak on the refitted alternator cover which entailed dropping the oil back out to rectify all went fairly smoothly. The electrical issue seemed to have fixed itself over night, unpluged all the conectors, new fuses in...reconect one at a time...no fuses pop...Only other thing done before that was changing out the oil filter...

Normal things like carbs on & off three times to re route things...Steve getting impatient about starting it...me...'' Er we need to put the exhaust on first....really...'' :lol: :lol:

We got there in the end. Murv even returned a bit later & picked it up...

Steves Triggers Broom of a bike still sits in the back of the man cave...that needs MOT tax & insurance sorting out before he can ride off in to the sunset...
Watty

Post by Watty »

bigtwinthing wrote:228 miles, A tank full.
Now we talking Paul :thumbup:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

MacV2 wrote:
MacV2 wrote:
tony.mon wrote:
So all sorted today despite a small oil leak on the refitted alternator cover which entailed dropping the oil back out to rectify all went fairly smoothly. The electrical issue seemed to have fixed itself over night, unpluged all the conectors, new fuses in...reconect one at a time...no fuses pop...Only other thing done before that was changing out the oil filter...

Normal things like carbs on & off three times to re route things...Steve getting impatient about starting it...me...'' Er we need to put the exhaust on first....really...'' :lol: :lol:

We got there in the end. Murv even returned a bit later & picked it up...

Steves Triggers Broom of a bike still sits in the back of the man cave...that needs MOT tax & insurance sorting out before he can ride off in to the sunset...
Well done lads, top job. Especially Mac.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

fatfreddy000 wrote: Freed up seized disc bobbins to see if I can improve situation with front discs- they are better but still not turning freely with my fingers..
They have quite a heavy spring washer in them. You shouldn't be able to turn them with your fingers.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
Watty

Post by Watty »

KermitLeFrog wrote:
fatfreddy000 wrote: Freed up seized disc bobbins to see if I can improve situation with front discs- they are better but still not turning freely with my fingers..
They have quite a heavy spring washer in them. You shouldn't be able to turn them with your fingers.
What he said /\/\/\/\
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

rode it to work all week, utter joy. it did get bloody filthy though. Compost dust just floats about all day.
Mav617

Post by Mav617 »

Taking mine for it's MOT at 15:00, so new brake fluid and bleed (fronts were ok, rear would have failed probably), dusted it down and put air in the tyres, oiled chain and off to get my leathers on and take it for a warm up run.
I'm so unlucky that if there is such a thing as re-incarnation I'll come back as me!
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Made a new screen.
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

bought it a private Plate.