what have you done to your "bike" today

General Biker Banter
KermitLeFrog

Re: head bearings, brake disc and pads, hugger, rear tyre, numerous seized and broken bolts extracted and replaced.. wit

Post by KermitLeFrog »

fatfreddy000 wrote:as the title says..
started 9:30 this morn and was flat out without even a bloody cuppa tea till 4:30 just in time to pick up my boy from nursery (i was very nearly in a lot of trouble)

took a lot longer than i thought as has so many seized and broken bolts to drill and extract, including 2 disc retaining bolts, 2 hugger bracket bolts, 1 front brakeline p-clip bolt and a few others.

Rear wheel and sprocket all cleaned up and new rear tyre on.
New rear pads.
New chinese rear disc.
Replacement hugger kindly donated by 'kermitlefrog' repaired and fitted.
Exhaust mounts fettled with to stop them interfering with the new hugger.
Lots of rusty bits cleaned up or replaced, lots of degreasing and polishing.
New 'All Balls' tapered needled head bearing installed- took 2 hours 20 and a pinch except hammering in the lower outer race (bloody fiddly trying to hold the old race as a drift while whacking with the fairing still on)
anyway she's looking good.

still got an issue with the rear disc even after taking apart again and cleaning the mating surface on the hub- just won't run perfectly true- ever so slight a wobble on the brake caliper.
the areas between the 4 retaining bolts seem to be a little more proud, can't see that this would be possible even by over torquing (and i used a torque wrench)... any ideas?

my partner and son are away to bristol to his grandparents tomorrow till monday so I'm off on an adventure for 2 or 3 nights on the bike, if she's good after a test run.. plus the sun's gonna be shining- cant wait.

just need to have another look at that disc in the morning, plus gotta do an oil and filter change and modify the pilon footrest hangers so i can get the exhaust cans sitting better.
20180221_140244.jpg
Man, that is looking good!
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
fabiostar

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by fabiostar »

thats a whole lotta work going on :thumbup: :thumbup: .

well today i finished mine, yes yes iv said that before :eek2 .... but the long awaited front guard came back from the wrappers,,its a 675 trumpet part.

the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
uk13iker

Post by uk13iker »

ImageImage
Put new stickers on and HRC tube and new grips 14 tooth front sprocket. Not started it yet will see how it is Monday. Will probably go to standard front and 43tooth rear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Rode it.

To the bank.

Transfer some money.

Yes I've bought another one.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

Changed oil and filter. Did tyre pressures. The rode it! Only round the block mucking hell it was cold. Hats of to the guys that ride all year
fatfreddy000

Post by fatfreddy000 »

fabiostar wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:41 pm thats a whole lotta work going on :thumbup: :thumbup: .

well today i finished mine, yes yes iv said that before :eek2 .... but the long awaited front guard came back from the wrappers,,its a 675 trumpet part.

love that.
beautiful colour (like suzuki blue rizla)
what whats going on with the light/fairing- is that an aftermarket job?.
looks like a cross between a firestorm and an SP
“If all insects on Earth disappeared, within 50 years all life on Earth would end. If all human beings disappeared from the Earth, within 50 years all forms of life would flourish.” Biologist Jonas Salk
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

fatfreddy000 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:18 pm
fabiostar wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:41 pm thats a whole lotta work going on :thumbup: :thumbup: .

love that.
its a one piece race item i got, so it had no light hole in the front, which i wanted as iv a thing about 1990s endurance race bike looks. the headlight is actually a NC30 unit which is held in by a lump of household drain pipe cut and bonded to the fairing..
BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

MacV2 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:09 pm Rode it.

To the bank.

Transfer some money.

:lol: how many is that now?
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

BigVeeGrin wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:59 pm
MacV2 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:09 pm Rode it.

To the bank.

Transfer some money.

:lol: how many is that now?
That will be 7 in the cave when it gets here but 1 is sold & should be leaving shortly so 6...

There are pics but no bins in them so It'll have to wait before I can post pics up... :lol: :lol:
fatfreddy000

Post by fatfreddy000 »

fabiostar wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:02 pm

I
love that.
its a one piece race item i got, so it had no light hole in the front, which i wanted as iv a thing about 1990s endurance race bike looks. the headlight is actually a NC30 unit which is held in by a lump of household drain pipe cut and bonded to the fairing..

We'll that is beatiful, well done on the looks.
was it a cheapo Chinese kit or something more expensive?
Really love the look of that headlight behind the yellow perspex
I fancy doing something drastic with the looks of mine one day, steadily ploodding through all the mechanics first though.
I thinking of maybe fibreglassing and fillling the existing fairing into more a vintage looking sweeping bikini with single round or twin round recessed lights. Then loosing all bling and gold anodised bits and going for minimalist Strom in satin black with extensive stainless steel allen head fastness throughout and maybe some race type performance parts /fluids stickers.
Pipe dream!
“If all insects on Earth disappeared, within 50 years all life on Earth would end. If all human beings disappeared from the Earth, within 50 years all forms of life would flourish.” Biologist Jonas Salk
Mav617

Post by Mav617 »

Fitted cheapie number plate LED light (plate looks massive here but is in fact pretty small):

I'm so unlucky that if there is such a thing as re-incarnation I'll come back as me!
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

So the starting saga I had with Custard the other week...was a duff battery in the end.

One of the things I changed over was the starter lead. Today I stripped the insulation off the wire to see just how baddly coroded it was.

So at the solinoid end, nice bright clean copper wire...

Meanwhile at the starter end of things it's a different story...

Ekkk!

Blackend with corrosion for a good 20cm & still not fully bright till past 30cm.

Not just surface either I chopped off the crimp & the corrosion is all through the wire bundle...

So plan A is to try & reuse the crimps onto a new bit of starter cable but not sure after a brief go that they will come off without damage & not be useable. I will give it another go but may have to go to plan B.

Which is to try & buy new ones...if I can find them. The fixings that is I know the cable is still avaliable but £40 ! There is also someone on e-bay offering aircraft grade wire replacement kits @£80..just a bit OTT for a 20 year old Storm me thinks...
popkat

Post by popkat »

MacV2 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:52 pm So the starting saga I had with Custard the other week...was a duff battery in the end.

One of the things I changed over was the starter lead. Today I stripped the insulation off the wire to see just how baddly coroded it was.

Ekkk!

Blackend with corrosion for a good 20cm & still not fully bright till past 30cm.

Not just surface either I chopped off the crimp & the corrosion is all through the wire bundle...

So plan A is to try & reuse the crimps onto a new bit of starter cable but not sure after a brief go that they will come off without damage & not be useable. I will give it another go but may have to go to plan B.

Which is to try & buy new ones...if I can find them. The fixings that is I know the cable is still avaliable but £40 ! There is also someone on e-bay offering aircraft grade wire replacement kits @£80..just a bit OTT for a 20 year old Storm me thinks...
Blimey your new vice is looking a bit beaten already :lol:

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

popkat wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:02 pm
MacV2 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:52 pm So the starting saga I had with Custard the other week...was a duff battery in the end.

Ekkk!

Blimey your new vice is looking a bit beaten already :lol:

I have many vices & that is not the new one. :lol:
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

fatfreddy000 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:01 pm
fabiostar wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:02 pm

love that.

We'll that is beatiful, well done on the looks.
was it a cheapo Chinese kit or something more expensive?
Really love the look of that headlight behind the yellow perspex
I fancy doing something drastic with the looks of mine one day, steadily ploodding through all the mechanics first though.
I thinking of maybe fibreglassing and fillling the existing fairing into more a vintage looking sweeping bikini with single round or twin round recessed lights. Then loosing all bling and gold anodised bits and going for minimalist Strom in satin black with extensive stainless steel allen head fastness throughout and maybe some race type performance parts /fluids stickers.
Pipe dream!
the place i got the bodywork from is called, Plastic moto works. decent quality stuff and good money. give them a google :thumbup: .
as for doing stuff to your storm its a case of little bits at a time and put the feelers out for the bits you need..