what have you done to your "bike" today

General Biker Banter
agentpineapple

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by agentpineapple »

so last week I had swapped out my rear shock and had a general clean up and re-grease. whilst doing so I noticed the forward most cross bar on the rear subframe was looking pretty bad, it's been a long overdue job on the to do list. so last night I removed the subframe. and today I spent my time cleaning all the rust off, coating the corroded areas with hammerite krust, hoping it'll slow down the corrosion, then priming and painting, I've done this to a few rear subframes over the years, what a poxy job.
just wish I had a local powder coaters, but I don't ffs.
i'll leave the paint for a few days to cure before refitting everything.... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

You can always send it over to me and I’ll get it done and post back to Spain
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

Kev L wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 3:06 pm You can always send it over to me and I’ll get it done and post back to Spain
Thanks for the offer keV. It's all painted now. Let's see how long it lasts :Ball Kick:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

Picked up the bike from the shop - swingarm had a crack in it (chain side). It's all welded up and repainted. I had them weld a plate to the bottom of my sidestand (asked for 6-8mm). Bike stood straighter, so I put a 2mm shim atop the shock mount (in spite of this, it still sits up a big straighter than before, so it's all good). Took it for the first "real" (albeit short) ride this year and man, does it make me grin. All my work over the years has given me a sublime motorcycle (for my intended use, of course). Not ranting... just content, and grinning :biggrin Looking forward to summer and the warmer weather
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

mik_str wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 7:32 pm Picked up the bike from the shop - swingarm had a crack in it (chain side). It's all welded up and repainted. I had them weld a plate to the bottom of my sidestand (asked for 6-8mm). Bike stood straighter, so I put a 2mm shim atop the shock mount (in spite of this, it still sits up a big straighter than before, so it's all good). Took it for the first "real" (albeit short) ride this year and man, does it make me grin. All my work over the years has given me a sublime motorcycle (for my intended use, of course). Not ranting... just content, and grinning :biggrin Looking forward to summer and the warmer weather
Good to hear the bike is still making you grin 8)

Out of interest where exactly was the crack in the swingarm :?:

Chris.
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

Some years ago, I had the sprocket carrier on my old PVM mag rim let go and the sprocket bolts chewed the swingarm. I had looked it over at the time but didn't think too much of it (damage didn't appear too bad and swingarm was braced so I thought it would hold up no problem). Last year, during the "99mm piston" engine rebuild, the tech saw the swinger was cracked so he welded it up and off it went to get powdercoated. While cleaning the bike last week, I noticed a crack (vertical, in line with sprocket bolts) in the powdercoat. I inspected more closely and, lo and behold, the swinger was cracked again. The tech re-welded it and painted it. We will keep an eye on it and if it stays good, I will have the arm removed (likely next summer, when I get the shock rebuilt) and have it re-powdercoated.

Hoping this is the end of it.
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

Had a nice run from Poll Hill for a memorial run then onto Box Hill for a little blast ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Popped over to Mcd's in Greenwich to meet up with Martines...

Several brown envelopes were handed over...

Rode home with 5 of these...

Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Vanstub also meet us there, he was gonna head back with me for MotoGP veiwing but bailed out as it started spitting... Kin Lightweight ! :lol:

I headed home in the dry...& fitted the origional back on CJ Storm from whence it came...

Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Bled the brakes and clutch, again! Set the front suspension, changed the chain link and finally the belly pan is fitted. The belly pan was a b8stard even with the correct mountings. Clearly the Mori belly pan, the racing one at least, is designed to work with the cut out sump and race exhaust. I had to extend the right hand mounts just so it would clear the exhaust. It looks OK, not lopsided, but it gets warm. I'll have to find some of that reflective stuff. Still. It's ready for Cadwell on Wednesday and will be ready for racing once the rain light is fitted.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

good luck Nick, hope it goes as good as it looks :thumbup:
AMcQ
popkat

Post by popkat »

freeridenick wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 1:57 pm Bled the brakes and clutch, again! Set the front suspension, changed the chain link and finally the belly pan is fitted. The belly pan was a b8stard even with the correct mountings. Clearly the Mori belly pan, the racing one at least, is designed to work with the cut out sump and race exhaust. I had to extend the right hand mounts just so it would clear the exhaust. It looks OK, not lopsided, but it gets warm. I'll have to find some of that reflective stuff. Still. It's ready for Cadwell on Wednesday and will be ready for racing once the rain light is fitted.

Pictures Nick :thumbup:

It was burnt through before as it was so close, and I also wore through it and someway through the downpipe :lol:
It originally came off a superbike or superstock spec bike, I reckon the exhaust downpipe on the full systems used back then were in a different position.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

popkat wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 10:20 pm
Pictures Nick :thumbup:

It was burnt through before as it was so close, and I also wore through it and someway through the downpipe :lol:
It originally came off a superbike or superstock spec bike, I reckon the exhaust downpipe on the full systems used back then were in a different position.
I'll take some pics in the sun at Cadwell. Those systems were proper tight to the sump and the sump cut out was cut and shut to give more ground clearance. I think I have a photo somewhere. The repair I did won't be helping with space either. Perhaps a bit too much matting.
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: what have you done to your

Post by sirch345 »

Duffy1964 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 1:23 pm Had a nice run from Poll Hill for a memorial run then onto Box Hill for a little blast ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for posting up the photo's Duffy, great to see all the bikes, especially the two strokes 8) :thumbup:
MacV2 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 2:38 pm Popped over to Mcd's in Greenwich to meet up with Martines...

Several brown envelopes were handed over...

Rode home with 5 of these...

Nice one Mac 8)

Chris.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

mik_str wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 9:39 pm Some years ago, I had the sprocket carrier on my old PVM mag rim let go and the sprocket bolts chewed the swingarm. I had looked it over at the time but didn't think too much of it (damage didn't appear too bad and swingarm was braced so I thought it would hold up no problem). Last year, during the "99mm piston" engine rebuild, the tech saw the swinger was cracked so he welded it up and off it went to get powdercoated. While cleaning the bike last week, I noticed a crack (vertical, in line with sprocket bolts) in the powdercoat. I inspected more closely and, lo and behold, the swinger was cracked again. The tech re-welded it and painted it. We will keep an eye on it and if it stays good, I will have the arm removed (likely next summer, when I get the shock rebuilt) and have it re-powdercoated.

Hoping this is the end of it.
Ah yeah I remember you telling us about the rear sprocket carrier letting go causing damage to the swingarm.

Hopefully it will be okay this time,

Chris.