what have you done to your "bike" today

General Biker Banter
tony.mon

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by tony.mon »

freeridenick wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 8:42 pm The one-legged instructor took me out at Croft when I went their. Nice guy who gave simple and clear advice.

Today I managed to fit the engine in the frame and get the bike back on two wheels, it fought me all the way though. Culminating in it falling of the blocks it was on as I tried to fit the suspension link. That's a Harris footrest hanger bent. :x
Luckily Harris are still selling their stuff, so you should be able to get a replacement.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
podman

Post by podman »

mdb wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 8:26 pm I fitted a RennTec combined rack and pillion handle. Doesn't seem like it will take much weight.
Yeh, they bounce around a fair bit with a fully loaded(48L) top box stuck on the back, ive not as yet had one actually snap thou
podman

Post by podman »

KermitLeFrog wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 4:50 pm Track day today at Croft. I've had this itch for some time and today I gave it a good scratch. Haven't been on a track for about 25 years since I threw my jellymould CBR600 away at Brands Hatch. Only did two 30 minute sessions but that was enough. The Storm was throwing up too many sparks from the undercarriage and I was enjoying thrashing the kids on their crotch rockets too much. The red mist was about to descend so I got away before I made a fool out of myself. Satisfied. I won't need to do that again for a while.

A couple of very interesting bikes (belonging to one of the one legged instructors). Crappy photos, sorry about that, but it's the first time I've seen a CB500R. There were a bunch of identical bikes made for a teenage one make championship some time back. It was a jewel of a thing.

Look close and you can see the pin in the RH footpeg to attach the pegleg and lack of a brake lever.

I totally understand why you called it a day, wise man, id found the limits of my std storm on the on the track evening I went on last year and felt I was close to binning it so called it a day a couple of sessions short.

The ground clearance and the really soft , pattering front fork began to worry me, my brother bought me a MSV trackday voucher for my b'day last week and tbh im reluctant to go again on the storm, fine road bike as it is.

The CBs do look fab, my Dad has the naked version of the bike and its lovely to ride...RGV looks the biz too.. :thumbup:
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

tony.mon wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 8:43 pm Luckily Harris are still selling their stuff, so you should be able to get a replacement.
Yeah-but-no-but-yeah-but-no-but. I'll be giving him a ring again to check but they don't make the levers anymore and he only offered me a left hanger plate when I bought replacement levers. I think the levers are for Blade rearsets.

Failing that it's out with the big metal bar.
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

podman wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 9:44 pm id found the limits of my std storm on the on the track evening I went on last year and felt I was close to binning it so called it a day a couple of sessions short.

The ground clearance and the really soft , pattering front fork began to worry me, my brother bought me a MSV trackday voucher for my b'day last week and tbh im reluctant to go again on the storm, fine road bike as it is.
I was quite gratified how good the Storm was on track. Albeit modified. The rogered forks didn't like rumble strips on lean but otherwise the suspension (Nitron shock) was totally unfazed. The brakes (F4i) were strong, 2 fingers, and didn't fade. The standard cans (96dB @ 5k revs) and the hero blobs were the limiting factors regarding clearance. Get some rearsets and different cans and you have a tool (or get an SP....)
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Forgot to mention. Tyres were Bridgestone BT016R at 36 front and rear cold (as advised by tyre man at circuit). They were perfect right out to the edge and showed good even wear.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Today I coated my bodywork in 2K Spraymax gloss lacquer. Wow what an experiance that was and not very pleasant. Next time it's defo going to have to be full face mask. Not for fumes so much as the 3M mask (thanks to Mac) worked tremendously well. The worst part was getting the overspray on my glasses which with it having hardener in would dry and leave a coating on the lens. I kept having to get wipes and clean them between coats. Not only that but the particles in the air would make the hairs stand up on my arms and on my face. It's like being covered in static electricity so full piece disposable suit wouldn't go amiss either. Intresting smell and nothing like 1K. I't's not an unpleasant smell but it has that kind of smell where you know it's not good for you which is not a bad thing as it does remind oneself that you should be wearing a mask and not breathing it in.

The paint itself is OK, sprays lovely with a fantastic spread and consistant pressure from start to finish. The first can spat a bit which pissed me off. My own fault really as I should have sprayed a bit into the air to start with rather than jumping straight onto the panels. It doesn't dry as quick as 1K and remains tacky for quite a while but leaving for 5 -10 mins between coats is good. I made a tarpaline roof so I was kind of indoors and I'm glad I did otherwise dust and sh1t would have really bean a nightmare as it remains tacky for ages. I did give the first coat a light dust over as a tack coat as I was going onto dried and rubbed down 1k lacquer, no problems with reactions or anything like that. For a nice thick glossy coat I found I only need to be about 10cm from the surface. Much closer than with 1K rattle cans and with no runs. It's still drying but the gloss is very glossy and has a slight Orange peel and few spit type marks that look a little like dust spots which is to be expected. Nothing that wont rub down and polish up. 12 hours to cure but after 24 I can start rubbing down with the fine stuff and start polishing. I'm really looking forward to that.

It's all indoors now so the lighting isn't the best but here's some pics.

==============================Enter the Darkside
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Looking deeply darkly black and glossy

Reminds me of an old Star Trek episode

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skin_of_Evil
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

VTRDark wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 7:03 pm Today I coated my bodywork in 2K Spraymax gloss lacquer. Wow what an experiance that was and not very pleasant. Next time it's defo going to have to be full face mask. Not for fumes so much as the 3M mask (thanks to Mac) worked tremendously well. The worst part was getting the overspray on my glasses which with it having hardener in would dry and leave a coating on the lens. I kept having to get wipes and clean them between coats. Not only that but the particles in the air would make the hairs stand up on my arms and on my face. It's like being covered in static electricity so full piece disposable suit wouldn't go amiss either. Intresting smell and nothing like 1K. I't's not an unpleasant smell but it has that kind of smell where you know it's not good for you which is not a bad thing as it does remind oneself that you should be wearing a mask and not breathing it in.

The paint itself is OK, sprays lovely with a fantastic spread and consistant pressure from start to finish. The first can spat a bit which pissed me off. My own fault really as I should have sprayed a bit into the air to start with rather than jumping straight onto the panels. It doesn't dry as quick as 1K and remains tacky for quite a while but leaving for 5 -10 mins between coats is good. I made a tarpaline roof so I was kind of indoors and I'm glad I did otherwise dust and sh1t would have really bean a nightmare as it remains tacky for ages. I did give the first coat a light dust over as a tack coat as I was going onto dried and rubbed down 1k lacquer, no problems with reactions or anything like that. For a nice thick glossy coat I found I only need to be about 10cm from the surface. Much closer than with 1K rattle cans and with no runs. It's still drying but the gloss is very glossy and has a slight Orange peel and few spit type marks that look a little like dust spots which is to be expected. Nothing that wont rub down and polish up. 12 hours to cure but after 24 I can start rubbing down with the fine stuff and start polishing. I'm really looking forward to that.

It's all indoors now so the lighting isn't the best but here's some pics.

Good work Carl 8)
I like the next bit, rubbing the lacquer back and polishing it. That's where the job satisfaction comes from :thumbup:

Chris.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Iv'e got wet n dry here that goes right down to 3000 grit and then I'm going to use the 3M polish system which is petrolium based so doesn't go all dry and dusty like some others. I just need to be very careful around the edges which I will most likely mask off and then do by hand. It will be a relief to have all the bodywork done but I wont be able to seal and wax it for some time.

https://www.3m.co.uk/3M/en_GB/bodyshop- ... polishing/

MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Had a fight with Dresden. Starting with the inspection cap, a PO had had a go & it showed signs of rounding out & some cracks on the corners of the allen socket...Fek me it was in tight but I got the bastid out in the end...

Properly mullered... :lol: :lol: A prviously mangled one was in stock it'll do for now...

Then went to take the spark plugs out...The toolkit sparkplug spanner it was just spinning...I'm begining to think that the thread is stripped & I'm in for a shed load of agro...Then I tried a 16mm deep socket & it came out... :confused Pulled it out with a magnet on a stick & thought that don't look like its the correct plug...Turns out it was one of them Brisk plugs, same in the front...

After that it all went a bit pete tong, what with missing tools & me being a fek wit...so gave up for the day...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

took old yellow for its last evening run. :( :( just turned 40k and its never been going better. :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

VTRDark wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 11:10 pm Iv'e got wet n dry here that goes right down to 3000 grit and then I'm going to use the 3M polish system which is petrolium based so doesn't go all dry and dusty like some others. I just need to be very careful around the edges which I will most likely mask off and then do by hand. It will be a relief to have all the bodywork done but I wont be able to seal and wax it for some time.

https://www.3m.co.uk/3M/en_GB/bodyshop- ... polishing/

They make it look so easy :lol:

Chris.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Gave Nue Red some much needed attention today, MOT back in March had 3 advisories, Sticking piston on front brake, play in the shock linkage & a tight spot on the chain...

Now after DevonStorm last year & then The Anni meet up in Birmingham the MOT was the first time I'd been out on it since the anni run... It got put in the cave & covered up...Oh the shame !

So today I pulled the callipers off, pulled the pads out & sure enough both callipers the inner pistons were not out as far as the outer pistons. The pads however were not worn unevenly...They have wear marker grooves so I used a tyre depth gauge & they were all 3mm so plenty of life & not uneven at all. Now these are the Brembo callipers & they have an adaptor plate to mount them so I can only assume that they are slightly offset from std hence the pistons not coming out even...

So onto the shock linkage...As I had a refurbed one in stock it was just a case of stripping it down & replacing it...But as you do when you set out to do one thing it soon morphs into other bits & bobs... :lol:

As part of the strip down the L/H exhaust can came off which then got a good clean as it had some tar spots on it, that then devoloped into them getting a polish, which meant the R/H one had to come off for the same treatment...Then I noticed the rear down pipe clamp was loose so that got replaced... :roll:

Then I swapped out the shock linkage, the bolt small end dog bone to bracket wasnt that tight so I guess that was where the movement was...Plenty of smooth movement in the old one but I will strip & inspect it on another day It's had a regreese a couple of times since I've had it... Boxed that back up & on to the next job...

The tight spot in the chain...I gave it a bloody good clean & flexed every link whilst doing so & could not find a tight link... Popped the sprocket cover off, cleaned all the shite out of that, buttoned that back up, cleaned the rear sprocket & the wheel, got the wheel back in, gave the chain another clean up & then adjust & fresh lube...

Cans back on... At this point it started belting it down so all the bikes got a good soaking as they were out of the cave...still could have been worse, next door had fired the barbie up... :lol: Think its a gas one so no big deal & they carried on under a brolly anyway... :lol:

So all in all a good productive day a fettling & cleaning...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Today I used 2L of old school paint stripper on my wheels. Three coats on each side and I was slapping it on and leaving to soak for 30 mins to an 1h at a time. 5 am I started. Back to the metal now. I forgot how much this stuff burns skin :eek2 reminds me of the good old days :biggrin I don't need any health and safety mollycoddling for stuff like that. I coped years ago and I coped today. I even washed my paint kettle out with very hot water under the tap just so I could be reminded of how good the fumes are and tasted some when I had to lick my fingers to open a bin liner :lol:

That's all the fluro greeny yellow gone now. Never again, I tried loads of various brands of fluro (dayglo) paint and it's all sh1t. Rustoleum was the better one but it's expensive and the colour is too much torwards the Yellow side. Waste of time and money. You need a perfect White base for any of them and if it messes up you can't then go and coat over it without priming the whole lot again. The slightest bit of wet sanding leaves dark marks that wont cover. Fluro paint has no body to it, goes on translucent so you can't see what your doing and then dries OK when it works but there is simply too much room for error. It's crap :thumbdown: Lesson learned, if you want fluorescent wheels then get them powdercoated. I'm going Anthracite instead now with a proper wheel paint.