what have you done to your "bike" today

General Biker Banter
agentpineapple

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by agentpineapple »

looking good Fabio..... :thumbup:

so today I found some time to tinker on my bike
firstly I refitted my rear wheel with a lovely new tyre (is it just me, or does anyone else get excited about new rubber :lol: )
after that I replaced the front subframe mounting bolts and nuts with ti jobbies, I also did the same with the clip on bolts.
last week i'd noticed my rear light was a tad wobblier than normal, so off with the rear fairing to investigate. turns out one of the plastic mounting tabs is giving up the ghost. a smear of super glue will hold it for now. I also added a little extra foam to the little tabs that sit above the light unit on the underside of the fairing, and now its a much more snug fit.... :thumbup:
also my rear light is a clear lense unit. and it has two red plastic domes mounted inside, and the oem bulbs fit inside of them, but over the year vibration has destroyed them, but luckily a few yes ago i'd replaced the oem bulbs with red led bulbs, so it was just a case of removing the rear lense, taking out the damaged red plastic domes, and then refitting the clear lense. job done.
I also had time to address the wiring from my brembo brake master to the kill switch. when a friend help me fit it in the past, we'd used spade connectors, and then black insulating tape, but the wire was longer than it needed to be, so I cut out the connectors, soldered the wires together and neatly covered it all with heat shrink, it looks much better now.
jobs for this weekend includes. fitted 2 sat navs, one on my bike and another on a friends bike. they can be hardwire in. should be fun... :roll:
we've also got matching Bluetooth intercoms, I've never used them before, not sure i'm going to like them, as other than music on very long touring journeys, I wear earplugs, so have someone talking to me is going to be odd, not to mention them listening to my waffle.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
so petrol and a tyre pressure check and the bikes good to go, sunday is supposed to be 14 and sunny. lets see what happens.... :wink:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Got my flywheel back from being balanced after lightening.
It was only out a couple grams so the old there is no need to re-balance after a mild cut still holds true :thumbup:

The center hole is the factory balance hole that was partly cut when the flywheel was turned down.
The 2 small holes were all that was needed to bring it back to balance.
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

rear light is a clear lense unit. and it has two red plastic domes mounted inside, and the oem bulbs fit inside of them, but over the year vibration has destroyed them, but luckily a few yes ago i'd replaced the oem bulbs with red led bulbs
The only issue with that in the UK is MOT time as that dome is only half Red to allow White light to light up the numberplate. If fitting Red bulbs you may then need a seperate light for the numberplate.

You think you waffle. I would drive the other person nuts with a Bluetooth intercom. Don't they have a switch to activate or something when you want to speak.
==============================Enter the Darkside
kenmoore

Post by kenmoore »

Hawk,

What cut is the flywheel ?

I ask that question gingerly as I know that there are a million different cuts and folks have strong opinions .

I am just curious .
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

kenmoore wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:58 am Hawk,

What cut is the flywheel ?

I ask that question gingerly as I know that there are a million different cuts and folks have strong opinions .

I am just curious .
No Worries. It is what was called the Moriwaki spec because the info came from Bob H. here in the states.
You just take 1\2" of the O.D. so it ends up looking like a SP flywheel.
It is a minor weight savings but is still noticeable and I like a little weight in the flywheel as it lets me roll on harder on corner exit.
Though it is for street use so I expect the roads to be iffy.

Or its what works for me. :thumbup:

Here is what it looks like compared to a stock unit:

Last edited by 8541Hawk on Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
podman

Post by podman »

fabiostar wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:18 pm i went mad and done this to my wheels :eek2

Love the look of them... :thumbup:
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Rode it to work in the fegging rain this morn... Jeeze it's filth. Looks like it'll be getting a clean tomorrow. :lol: Or Sunday or Monday, day off depends on which day I feel like getting wet n mucky.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

well today i stood back looked at my work and thought??? whats that on the ground? its only the god dam front exhaust pipe gasket :eek2 :eek2 :eek2 :eek2 :eek2 ....

mucho cussing but its fitted now
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Changed oil & filter,lubed chain,checked tyre pressures and a general check of nuts, bolts,lights etc.Then went for a 70 mile blast in the sunshine.But it was cold though.Wash and polish tomorrow weather permitting.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

8541Hawk wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:16 am Got my flywheel back from being balanced after lightening.
It was only out a couple grams so the old there is no need to re-balance after a mild cut still holds true :thumbup:

The center hole is the factory balance hole that was partly cut when the flywheel was turned down.
The 2 small holes were all that was needed to bring it back to balance.
That's very interesting, thanks for posting Mike :thumbup:

Chris.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

today i done nothing, zip.nada,zero. not a thing and i feel good for it :lol:
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

fabiostar wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:06 pm today i done nothing, zip.nada,zero. not a thing and i feel good for it :lol:
Lazy Git... :lol:

Today I rode it to work in the drizzle...Washed it on Sunday of course... :roll:

Then rode it home in the drizzle, for some reason it was colder on the way home than it was this morn...Fecking Brass Monkeys...Brrrrr
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

i know it sounds stupid but i miss winter riding on my wee divvy i had :( ....
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

took the cans off again :Argue 1: :Argue 1: . iv major OCD about pipes sitting even so after mucho faffing they are sorted and trimmed the seat unit as it looked a tad bulky with the pipes. looking a good bit slimmer now.
fatfreddy000

head bearings, brake disc and pads, hugger, rear tyre, numerous seized and broken bolts extracted and replaced.. with ph

Post by fatfreddy000 »

SORRY ABOUT THE UPSIDE-DOWN DUPLICATED PHOTOS- MY COMPUTER HAS MENTAL HEALTH ISSUES..

as the title says..

started 9:30 this morn and was flat out without even a bloody cuppa tea till 4:30 just in time to pick up my boy from nursery (i was very nearly in a lot of trouble)

took a lot longer than i thought as has so many seized and broken bolts to drill and extract, including 2 disc retaining bolts, 2 hugger bracket bolts, 1 front brakeline p-clip bolt and a few others.

Rear wheel and sprocket all cleaned up and new rear tyre on.
New rear pads.
New chinese rear disc.
Replacement hugger kindly donated by 'kermitlefrog' repaired and fitted.
Exhaust mounts fettled with to stop them interfering with the new hugger.
Lots of rusty bits cleaned up or replaced, lots of degreasing and polishing.
New 'All Balls' tapered needled head bearing installed- took 2 hours 20 and was a cinch except hammering in the lower outer race (bloody fiddly trying to hold the old race up as a drift while whacking a lump hammer with the fairing still on)
anyway she's looking good.

still got an issue with the rear disc even after taking apart again and cleaning the mating surface on the hub- just won't run perfectly true- ever so slight a wobble on the brake caliper.
the areas between the 4 retaining bolts seem to be a little more proud, can't see that this would be possible even by over torquing (and i used a torque wrench)... any ideas?

my partner and son are away to bristol to his grandparents tomorrow till monday so if she's good after a test run I'm off on an adventure for 2 or 3 nights on the bike, .. plus the sun's gonna be shining- cant wait.

just need to have another look at that disc in the morning, plus gotta do an oil and filter change and modify the pilon footrest hangers so i can get the exhaust cans sitting better.
Attachments
9.jpg
8.jpg
7.jpg
6.jpg
5.jpg
4.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg
1.jpg
9.jpg
20180222_141444.jpg
20180222_141407.jpg
20180222_135035.jpg
20180222_134816.jpg
20180222_134736.jpg
Last edited by fatfreddy000 on Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.
“If all insects on Earth disappeared, within 50 years all life on Earth would end. If all human beings disappeared from the Earth, within 50 years all forms of life would flourish.” Biologist Jonas Salk