520 chain conversion

General Biker Banter
freeridenick

520 chain conversion

Post by freeridenick »

This must have been discussed on here but a quick search didn't show anything useful and I'm out of time tonight to search harder. So I'm doing the Facebook thing and asking rather than looking myself - sorry.

What recommendations have folks got for brands and/or places to buy from. I'm going for a 520 in standard 102 link length with a 16t front along with 41t and 42t rear sprockets. Thanks.

:thumbup:
8541Hawk

Re: 520 chain conversion

Post by 8541Hawk »

Well on my 520 set up I like the heavy duty DID chains. They seem to last the longest in my application.
Sprockets......any of the drilled steel fronts seem to work well.
Rear, for the street I run the super-lite steels. On the track I would run an AL, if that is the way you go stay away from Vortex AL sprockets....they never worked well back in my AL rear sprocket days.

The best AL rear I ran was from AFAM. They actually had a decent service life for a AL sprocket.
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

nick a big shout out to Talon for the alloy sprockets :thumbup: i used them for many years in supermoto racing and they take some stick in that sport.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I use Supersprox; they're expensive but last well, as the teeth are steel, but on an aluminium centre.
I always found it hard to find drilled front sprockets for my storm, but used 530.

525 as standard on my Tuono 1100 v4, though, and if they handle that, a 520 on a storm will be fine.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

chain: DID ERV3, proven circuit performance, good durability, the lightest out there. Or new ERV 7, slightly stronger and a bit heavier, but still lighter than competitors.
sprockets: Renthal, Afam should be good too but havent tried.

for 520 drilled front sprocket, search for cbr1000r 04-07, rear must be vtr specific if I remember it right.

I would go front renthal and rear afam, or afam both, as I think you dont find rear 520 from renthal.
popkat

Post by popkat »

For the last 8 years I've used RK GXW 520 race chain and Talon sprockets, the chains never need adjustment even from new and the sprockets are mega light weight.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
TheBozBoz

Post by TheBozBoz »

So other than maybe rotation mass savings, is there any other advantage of a 520 chain vs standard? I don't really see how a small thinner chain will last as long as say a 530(if that's standard?)

Sent from my G3311 using Tapatalk

freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Finally got this sorted with Talon sprockets amd RK chain. It's taken me ages to find the sprockets. Talon had no stock but gave me the product codes, but searching for them turned up nothing that I was confident in. Ebay turned up trumps in the end after a short chat exchange with Dennis Trollope Racing.

TheBozBoz - it's for a track bike so I'm not fussed about how long it lasts, just how fast it spins up and saving a bit of weight.