Loose drive chain!

Best deals in town
Darlo_biker1973

Loose drive chain!

Post by Darlo_biker1973 »

Hi everyone I'm a newbie and a bit of a mechcanical idiot so please be gentle! As the subject states my chain is a little loose how do i tighten it? Also there is a whirring noise coming from the left side of the engine!!!! If anyone has any thoughts/thoughts/imspiration I would appreciate it!

Regards

James
simo

Re: Loose drive chain!

Post by simo »

Hi James welcome to the forum . By your handle can I take it you're from Darlington? Your chain is best adjuster on a paddock stand. Loosen the wheel spindle and adjust with the small bolts located horizontaly in the end of the swinging arm. Not too tight, you want about 10mm up and down movement on the bottom run of the chain . Re tighten spindle. Turn wheel check for tight spots. If you do live in Darlington PM me and I'll help you out .
Theres A Hare in The Turnips.
simo

Post by simo »

Should read 20 mm movement . There is of course the correct measurement in hand book or on a sticker on swinging arm if its still there.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Turn the adjusters clockwise to tighten and anti clockwise to loosen, You have some scribed lines on the adjusters as rough guide to keeping things even on both sides. As for the whirring noise can you be a bit more descriptive as to where it's coming from. Does it get better or worse when you dip the clutch. :think:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

simo wrote:Hi James welcome to the forum . By your handle can I take it you're from Darlington? Your chain is best adjusted on a paddock stand. Loosen the wheel spindle and adjust with the small bolts located horizontaly in the end of the swinging arm. Not too tight, you want about 10mm up and down movement on the bottom run of the chain . Re tighten spindle. Turn wheel check for tight spots. If you do live in Darlington PM me and I'll help you out .
im no expert but I thought the best scenario for adjusting the chain is with the wheels on the deck and someone sitting on it. this enables the suspension / linkages to be in the same position for adjustment as when the bike is being ridden?
its easier on a paddock stand of course but not necessarily as accurate?
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

lumpyv wrote:
simo wrote:Hi James welcome to the forum . By your handle can I take it you're from Darlington? Your chain is best adjusted on a paddock stand. Loosen the wheel spindle and adjust with the small bolts located horizontaly in the end of the swinging arm. Not too tight, you want about 10mm up and down movement on the bottom run of the chain . Re tighten spindle. Turn wheel check for tight spots. If you do live in Darlington PM me and I'll help you out .
im no expert but I thought the best scenario for adjusting the chain is with the wheels on the deck and someone sitting on it. this enables the suspension / linkages to be in the same position for adjustment as when the bike is being ridden?
its easier on a paddock stand of course but not necessarily as accurate?
+1

Should be done with someone sitting on it to get the correct tension. Without the weight compressing the suspension the tension will be wrong, to tight I think.

BTW these sort of questions should really be in the workshop section, your lucky it was spotted in this section.

Mac
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

98-03_VTR1000F_NoRestriction.pdf

VTR1000F Honda Service Manual OCR.pdf

Pg 50 3-14 DRIVE CHAIN - CHAIN SLACK INSPECTION
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
simo

Post by simo »

Wow .... Have I been doing it wrong all these years? 24.000 on the original chain, it must be well fkd better have someone check it for me . Lol
Virt

Post by Virt »

simo wrote:Wow .... Have I been doing it wrong all these years? 24.000 on the original chain, it must be well fkd better have someone check it for me . Lol
If you have a Scott oiler or manually oil it, it might be okay as that can increase the chains life massively and stop it needing to be tightened
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Wow .... Have I been doing it wrong all these years? 24.000 on the original chain
According to the majority of workshop manuals No, but technically Yes as the workshop manuals do not account for different people weight.

I also adjust the chain with the wheel of the ground using my Abba stand, but then I know how slack it needs to be and account for my weight. I don't have an extra hand to check things while I sit on the bike usually, but have done in the past, and jumped off the bike to check how slack it is.

I find having the wheel off the ground makes it easier to adjust as the rear wheel is free to move backwards or forwards. I can even give it a wiggle if I want. :roll: with no resistance from the ground on any rubber. Then as the wheel is of the ground, it's the perfect opportunity to give the chain a clean, inspect and re-oil.

:thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

The noise you described may be the chain drooping onto the LH side link pipe near the sidestand.
If too slack that can happen, mostly with aftermarket link pipes fitted.

And I agree, tension is much better done with someone your weight sitting on the bike, and don't forget to revolve the wheel a few times to check for tight spots,
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I wonder what happened to James, I hope he is okay,

Chris.
darkember

Post by darkember »

Chain tension needs to be between 30-40 mm virtical movement. Best adjusted on the did stand unless you have someone to sit on the bike to load it also check it at mutiple locations along its length. A correctly adjusted chain will not touch the link pipe when pushing the forward but will when you push the bike backwards.

The sound you are hearing could be clutch rattle which is quite common on these machines
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

darkember wrote:Chain tension needs to be between 30-40 mm virtical movement. Best adjusted on the did stand unless you have someone to sit on the bike to load it also check it at mutiple locations along its length. A correctly adjusted chain will not touch the link pipe when pushing the forward but will when you push the bike backwards.

The sound you are hearing could be clutch rattle which is quite common on these machines
If so he's been hearing it since April......
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.