Haynes Customer Service

Best deals in town
flexibledoor69

Haynes Customer Service

Post by flexibledoor69 »

Hey all,

I'm new on here, joined a few weeks ago and have only been lurking since then. I feel the need to comment on Haynes (that does the Haynes Manuals) due to very recent dealings with them.

Long story short was that I changed out the cam chain tensioners and followed the Haynes method. A few bent valves later I searched the workshop forum on here and saw that I hadn't followed the steps from other members to set the cylinders at TDC (which a lot of you have also mentioned is the missing step in the Haynes manual)

Unfortunately I lost my temper and sent a venomous email to Haynes telling them that their manual was wrong and I pinned all the blame on them. (in retrospect I know I should have set the cylinders at TDC so I know I carry blame on this one too...) I was not expecting a response from Haynes considering my rude email however I did get a response which exceeded my expectations.

The Haynes Motorcycle Editorial Manager personally emailed me back to apologise for the wrong information being typed in their manuals (info given to them direct from Honda) and also that they had not had any feedback from the general public regarding the steps in their manual being incomplete. She has also stated that they have changed the process in their manuals to the correct one and that it will be corrected in the next printing batch that they produce. (see extract below)
I am pleased to hear that the procedure to remove the top-ends is going well and that the manual has been useful. No need at all to apologise for the tone of your e-mail.

We have prepared an amendment to our manual and will implement this when the manual is next reprinted

I just wanted to highlight to this user community that I think this is a massively commendable effort on their part. I don't know how much it costs to change text parts when you're printing bike manuals but to undertake this just because a guy from Australia lost his temper in an email is amazing customer service.

If the Mods of this forum want to broadcast this across other boards in this forum to let others know that the haynes manuals are being changed for this procedure I"m more than happy for you to do so.

Cheers guys, now its off to replace some bent valves!!
VTRDark

Re: Haynes Customer Service

Post by VTRDark »

First off welcome to the forum. :thumbup: :beer: :beer:

I have never been a fan of the Haynes manuals since they changed the format, It's got to be about 15-20 years ago now. I am surprised that no one from the public has told them about the errors before. And I'm even more surprised that those instructions came direct from honda. 8O

There are also a few things in the Haynes that they tell you to do that are unnecessary like draining the cooling system to remove the carbs and stuff and I find if using a Haynes, not to take everything they say literally.

It's good that they have listened to what you have had to say and they are now currently going to make corrections. It's just a shame that it takes something as serious as your valves getting damaged at your expense to get thing's changed.

Stick around here and you can't go wrong, plenty of advice and guidance and members willing to help out. We have a few members on here in Ausie land so maybe you can hook up with them at sometime, pass each others knowledge on and have a few ride out's

Ride Safe. :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside