Hamilton Motor Cycle services.......AVOID

Best deals in town
darrenbiker

Hamilton Motor Cycle services.......AVOID

Post by darrenbiker »

Had the cam cover off my VTR to check the valve clearance (fwd cylinder) once completed I noticed the upper seal was leaking oil....off with cover back on again still leaking...anyway decided to take bike to Hamilton Motor Cycle services to get them to sort seal and balance carbs as I didn't have time as I was working the next day. After a week I still hadn't heard any news, so I popped in to get the front tyre of my 250r re valved. The guy I spoke to regarding my VTR came over and said "are you the guy with the VTR ?......" over the next few minuets I was informed that my bike was infact "wombles" apparently the head gasket had gone and would cost a kings ransom to fix etc etc maybe get a new engine etc etc, pissing coolant, hydraulic lock etc etc,won't turn over blah blah blah. In was really pissed off having loved my bike to bits so I decided I would get it fixed regard less of price. I called HMS and gave the go ahead, being informed it would be an age before he could look at it due to the bank holiday "but don't worry mate I'll sort you out". I started thinking at this point (I'm rather slow lol) the bike displayed non of the classic symptoms running hot,emulsification of the oil, sweet smelling exhaust etc, so I called my mate Scott in Aberdeen he being rather handy with engines and he offered to fix the head gasket for me. So I called HMS and was told it's £48 for the work carried out.....I went over paid and took my bike back....now I needed to get it to aberdeen (from Glasgow ish) so a swift call to the AA started the ball rolling......to cut a long story short it took 8 hours to get upto Aberdeen AA procedures rather slow, however the service received was great so thanks AA.......now at Scotts house we proceeded to investigate........an hour later the bike was running sweet as I remember it minus leaking oil seal. Job done...NO HEAD GASKET issue at all!!!!!!!!! Due to not bringing kit, thinking i would be leaving the bike....Scott lent me a lid, jacket and gloves......now i could make the long journey home...........
darrenbiker

Re: Hamilton Motor Cycle services.......AVOID

Post by darrenbiker »

Continued from previous post (using my ipad so is a bit irratic). I was cold ridden for a week after due to being soaked on the way down......lost two days holidays from work due to having to take time off. Tonnes of hassle stress and expense due to that arsehole at HMS....so my advice is avoid like the plague. He made a simple minor repair into a complete epic. Oh before I forget I needed a new battery,that's why the engine wasn't turning over. Thanks for you time reading this hope the predictive hasn't screwed it up to much.
darrenbiker

Post by darrenbiker »

Put this post up ages ago, must admit guys am disappointed I haven't received any words to make me feel better. Still got the old storm but also a cbf1000 gt. not a bad bike but the storm is much more fun.
darkember

Post by darkember »

I believe the oil leak would have been the from the rubber seal which is a bitch to seat espcially on the front pot due to the limited access. Going back to main dealers I would never send any bikes to them. If i were to use a garage then it would be some local lads I know who do know their stuff or the friendly folk on this forum.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

How to turn a flat battery into a head gasket visit http://www........ :lol:

It sickens me some of the stories I hear about garages, and the thing is because the person who has taken their vehicle there hasn't a clue, they get ripped off. A garage can say it was this or that and 9 times out of 10 the person will just tell them to fix it. How often does someone get a second or third opinion once the fear/worry factor has been planted.

Morale of the story never trust a garage.

At least everyone up north know to avoid Hamilton Motorcycle Services now. :thumbup:
Spread the word and hit them where it hurts. :wink:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
grumpyfrog

Post by grumpyfrog »

Darren, never heard. Of Hamilton guys before but will pass word to a few blade riders I know down there. Trouble with big garages nowadays is that if there's no computer socket to plug in and tell them what to fix then their wombled. Shout next time your heading north as you'll pass my road end, divert up the coast road via stonie longer but Far better..
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time