Manual Gear-change indicator

Test your messages here, beginners welcome..
budd

Re: Manual Gear-change indicator

Post by budd »

simo wrote:Managed to get this fitted, made easier with having Pyramid lower fairing mountings/brackets to mount contacts

Image[/url

[URL=http://s1241.photobucket.com/user/jackjoe12/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-03/460A8226-C816-41AB-8C10-C85EFED304FD.jpg.html]Image

where did you connect it to the neutral switch?
I've now gone all European and bought a KTM Superduke GT and Aprilia RSV1000R :D ,
Storm is now gone :cry: .
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

That does look like a complicated way of doing it.

I use a combined gear indicator/voltage display unit, can't say it's better, but it's a bloody sight easier to fit.

I posted a how-to in the workshop knowledgebase years ago.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
simo

Post by simo »

budd wrote:
simo wrote:Managed to get this fitted, made easier with having Pyramid lower fairing mountings/brackets to mount contacts

Image[/url

[URL=http://s1241.photobucket.com/user/jackjoe12/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-03/460A8226-C816-41AB-8C10-C85EFED304FD.jpg.html]Image

where did you connect it to the neutral switch?[/quote. No it's a wire which you get need connecting to the bikes nutral, I soldered it to the original connector.
Theres A Hare in The Turnips.
budd

Post by budd »

simo wrote: No it's a wire which you get need connecting to the bikes nutral, I soldered it to the original connector.
you connect the white wire from the unit to neutral, yes? where exactly did you splice in the wire? is the connector in the loom? at the switch isteslf or is it possible to use the neutral light feed ?
I've now gone all European and bought a KTM Superduke GT and Aprilia RSV1000R :D ,
simo

Post by simo »

budd wrote:
simo wrote: No it's a wire which you get need connecting to the bikes nutral, I soldered it to the original connector.
you connect the white wire from the unit to neutral, yes? where exactly did you splice in the wire? is the connector in the loom? at the switch isteslf or is it possible to use the neutral light feed ?
I extended all the wires by soldering using proper wire, not that thin stuff. Cut the cover off the connector that pushes on the neutral switch, prise the lugs open on the terminal and solder to that , close it back up with plyers and heat shrink a few inches back. Yes I think it was a white wire.
budd

Post by budd »

simo wrote: I extended all the wires by soldering using proper wire, not that thin stuff. Cut the cover off the connector that pushes on the neutral switch, prise the lugs open on the terminal and solder to that , close it back up with plyers and heat shrink a few inches back. Yes I think it was a white wire.
thanks for that BTW where is the neutral switch? :D
simo

Post by simo »

You can see a wire in the picture heading that way, just near/behind the gear selector lever.
budd

Post by budd »

simo wrote:You can see a wire in the picture heading that way, just near/behind the gear selector lever.
Cheers I'll have look :thumbup:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Are you going to get one of these kits then Budd. I must admit I'm quite tempted myself for that price. Simo do you think it would be easy to remove the casing on the gear indicator leaving only the circuit board for installation inside the instrument panel/clock face. :think: Are there any screws holding the case on or is it a sealed unit?

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
simo

Post by simo »

cybercarl wrote:Are you going to get one of these kits then Budd. I must admit I'm quite tempted myself for that price. Simo do you think it would be easy to remove the casing on the gear indicator leaving only the circuit board for installation inside the instrument panel/clock face. :think: Are there any screws holding the case on or is it a sealed unit?

Yes Carl that might be possible. Good idea.
Virt

Post by Virt »

How much extra wire did you have for the display? I quite fancy one for that price, but I'd rather stick it on the right of the bike as I have the late model clocks

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
simo

Post by simo »

Yes you could do that, there's enough wire for that but some might have to be extended as I did. Eg. Power and earth.
budd

Post by budd »

cybercarl wrote:Are you going to get one of these kits then Budd. I must admit I'm quite tempted myself for that price.

yeah I think I will, at the very least it will stop me trying to change into 7th :D
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I have an Acumen fitted, it's like Tony's but without the volt meter incorporated in it. Easier to fit than yours Simo, but costs a lot more. You can't complain about the price of yours :thumbup: and ideal for anyone who is a bit handy when it comes to the bike,

Chris.
simo

Post by simo »

sirch345 wrote:I have an Acumen fitted, it's like Tony's but without the volt meter incorporated in it. Easier to fit than yours Simo, but costs a lot more. You can't complain about the price of yours :thumbup: and ideal for anyone who is a bit handy when it comes to the bike,

Chris.
Aye well I would have liked one of those but as I understood it I would have had to splice into the ECU harness,a newer bike you buy a harness so it just plug in??? Don't know if the last of the Firestorms would qualify. ?