Re: OP STORM SW Scotland Mk6, Aug 10th to 13th 2018

Post by AMCQ46 »

first post updated with more info
AMcQ
BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

:thumbup: looking forward to this.

How will the rides work Al? Conscious that I've ridden about twice in the last year so don't want to be a drag to the more experienced/talented progressives :D

Also - being a pedant, and knowing about stereotypes and that I now live in Glasgow can I be marked as paid! Don't want aspersions cast :lol:
Flatline

Post by Flatline »

We get one of those white line markers, draw a line across the road, then it's a countdown and we all bugger off down the road as fast as possible

The last one back buys the food and drinks for the rest

At least I think that's how it's going to be this year

,🙂
grumpyfrog

Post by grumpyfrog »

This year's ride will be the same as all the others:
Run a second man drop off.
Some mad bugger is going out front with a posse of folk behind him.
Those that ride progressive will be close with him, the rest will get there when they do.
We will have a back marker to gather those lost sheep to catch up with the leaders when they stop at various locations.
When the mad leader, let's call him yellow 1, comes to a junction, turning, anywhere where someone might not be aware off, the second man will wait there till the back marker is there, normally toots to say go.
Now the second man has options, either ramble along with the rest, or razz back up through the group..
Now, this only works if the second man stays put till the back marker gets there. Sometimes 30 seconds, sometimes 30 mins, you never know what happens behind you, but you must stay put, have a fag, shake the snake whatever but stay put, if there's an issue someone will come back for you.

Due to numbers there may be 2 groups, nutters and those slightly insane. Your choice..
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

grumpyfrog wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:14 pm This year's ride will be the same as all the others:
Run a second man drop off.
Some mad bugger is going out front with a posse of folk behind him.
Those that ride progressive will be close with him, the rest will get there when they do.
We will have a back marker to gather those lost sheep to catch up with the leaders when they stop at various locations.
When the mad leader, let's call him yellow 1, comes to a junction, turning, anywhere where someone might not be aware off, the second man will wait there till the back marker is there, normally toots to say go.
Now the second man has options, either ramble along with the rest, or razz back up through the group..
Now, this only works if the second man stays put till the back marker gets there. Sometimes 30 seconds, sometimes 30 mins, you never know what happens behind you, but you must stay put, have a fag, shake the snake whatever but stay put, if there's an issue someone will come back for you.

Due to numbers there may be 2 groups, nutters and those slightly insane. Your choice..

that sums it up.

also planning to get some way to identify the back marker so people don't get confused and leave their post ... a pink high vis has been suggested, but that might get people the wrong message.

Main problem I have with running 2 groups is I don't have a 2nd Leader for the less stupid group ... open to volunteers, I can teach you all the words needed to ask for directions :lol:
AMcQ
grumpyfrog

Post by grumpyfrog »

I'd said I'd run the sight seeing group out if you want. Just need a back marker for it.
Just load up my Sat nav please.
Garlands like the portstewart cruising squads??
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Stuart, that will be great if you can. when we have the big group of 20 plus on Saturday, having 2 groups might be a help. any volunteers to be the back marker for Grumpy?

the Saturday planned ride is 215miles, so I can also look at a shorter option or a short cut. ... and to remind you all how to get the route onto your GPS, follow this method, its easy.

1) click on the link I sent out which will open the route on the "plot a route" website and you will see a map with the route on the top of the page.
2) scroll down the web page and you will see a section called "key route data" and it will say "This route can be downloaded in the following formats (click to download):"
3) click on the one marked GPX and this will down load the route to your computer
4) plug your garmin into your computer and open your file explorer tool and open up the Garmin directory so you can see the file structure inside. there should be one called GPX.
5) go to downloads on your computer and find the GPX file that you just downloaded, the drag it into the Garmin/GPX file location and save it there
6) unplug the garmin from your computer.
7) switch on the Garmin and select the "Apps" icon from the home screen, then select" tracks" on that menu.
8.) scroll down the "saved" tab and you will find your file, select the file and it will show it on the map.
9) there will be a spanner icon on the top right, so press that and from that menu select "convert to Trip"
10) once this is done the file will appear in your Trip Planner section and you use it as normal from there.
11) final tip is to disable the "off route recalculation" in the navigation settings - or set it to "prompted" so it wont change your planned route when you leave the path for any reason."...
Last edited by AMCQ46 on Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AMcQ
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Quote AMcQ

"I found an easier solution - I am lazy.

1) don't even bother with Base camp, connect your GPS to your computer and download the GPX track file direct to the zumo. there is an internal folder called GPX, so put the file there.
2) switch on the Garmin and select the "Apps" icon from the home screen, then select" tracks" on that menu.
3) scroll down the "saved" tab and you will find your file, select the file and it will show it on the map.
4) there will be a spanner icon on the top right, so press that and from that menu select "convert to Trip"
5) once this is done the file will appear in your Trip Planner section and you use it as normal from there.

final tip is to disable the "off route recalculation" in the navigation settings - or set it to "prompted" so it wont change your planned route when you leave the path for any reason."
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

thanks Iain, I knew I had written it in one of the threads on here, but I wasn't going to spend my time searching...

I will post it as a sticky in the trips section :D
AMcQ
BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

AMCQ46 wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:17 pm Stuart, that will be great if you can. when we have the big group of 20 plus on Saturday, having 2 groups might be a help. any volunteers to be the back marker for Grumpy?

:thumbup: I'd be happy to do that
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

I keep notes on stuff like that.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

BigVeeGrin wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:02 pm
AMCQ46 wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:17 pm Stuart, that will be great if you can. when we have the big group of 20 plus on Saturday, having 2 groups might be a help. any volunteers to be the back marker for Grumpy?

:thumbup: I'd be happy to do that
good man ... I will get you a pink High Vis vest to wear ;)
AMcQ
BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

Hmm thought I'd bring the full KTM and gear save you the worry Al

I'll be behind Grumpy on the way down, so sticking half a dozen others or so in between is no bother :D :thumbup:
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Typical KTM rider. Saw a lot of them in NI.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

is it time YET... :eek2 :eek2 :eek2 :eek2 :eek2
the older i get,the faster i was :lol: