Biker Down

Get on yer bike and lets rumble!!

Moderators: AMCQ46, geodude

KermitLeFrog

Biker Down

Post by KermitLeFrog »

On Saturday I attended at "Biker Down" course at our regional Fire Station. About the best 3 hours I've spent in a long time. So much good information. So many myths blown away ("Hi Viz? pah! Worse than useless" etc...). Plenty of medical stuff (and some gory photos) but loads of stuff on visibility, what other drivers see (or don't see). Too much interesting stuff for me to list here. Looking at t'internet these courses are being run throughout the country. They are free to attend.

Really guys. This is something you want to do!
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
AMCQ46

Re: Biker Down

Post by AMCQ46 »

when I saw the title I feared the worst.... glad it wasn't about you or a friend. 8O

I will look into attending one of these courses, I think it makes a lot of sense. :thumbup:
AMcQ
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

That's what I feared when I read the title too.

The problem with hi viz is that everyone uses it from building sites, contract workers, emergency personnel to the fashion world so no longer stands out.
==============================Enter the Darkside
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

VTRDark wrote:That's what I feared when I read the title too.

The problem with hi viz is that everyone uses it from building sites, contract workers, emergency personnel to the fashion world so no longer stands out.
True. The most noticed colour is pink.

They made the argument that blocks of different colour was effective camoflage even if they were bright colours. Take a Tiger as an example.

The most visible object is a solid silouette. A black clad rider on a black bike!

Plenty of other things; how to use a tournquet; safe for at least 2 hours. DONT loosen it. Keep it well above the wound. Arteries are under tension and shrink back into the body when severed. And, a severed main artery can kill you in 60 seconds from loss of blood. Squaddies are now building them into their battle-dress, close to the armpits and groin. Catastrophic bleeding is the number one danger.

How, when and why to remove a helmet. Effective CPR. Don't use the recovery position. What injuries change a standard 30 minute medical response time into a blues and twos 8 minute response. How to ascertain blood circulation; forget about trying to find a pulse.

Saccade blindness and how to demonstrate it. Look into a mirror, focus on one eye then focus on the other. You will not see your eyes moving. And more....

There were three modules:
1. Scene safety and management.
2. First aid and trauma management.
3. The science of being seen.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
Watty

Post by Watty »

That sounds amazing Ian, should be compulsory training for new riders IMO. Am going to look into this at my local station! !
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Watty wrote:That sounds amazing Ian, should be compulsory training for new riders IMO. Am going to look into this at my local station! !
I did mine at Sunderland. Near the Nissan plant. Not too far for you to go. Look here: https://www.facebook.com/bikerdowntynea ... f%22%7D%7D

Or contact Stu Dobson directly.

They were also giving out "RealRider" accounts. £5 pa instead of £30pa. This is a phone app that detects when you crash (as long as it's at more than 20mph). Waits for 4 minutes of inactivity then rings you. If you don't respond in 2 minutes it goes straight to the 999 system with your exact location and medical history (blood group, medication, allergies etc..). I know BMW and other manufacturers do something similar but they pinpoint the vehicle (and not you) and they have to go though a separate call centre. AFAIK RealRider is the only system approved to contact the emergency services directly and also the only one that tells where YOU are (or rather your phone...) and not the bike. A no brainer for a fiver.
Watty

Post by Watty »

KermitLeFrog wrote:
Watty wrote:That sounds amazing Ian, should be compulsory training for new riders IMO. Am going to look into this at my local station! !
I did mine at Sunderland. Near the Nissan plant. Not too far for you to go. Look here: https://www.facebook.com/bikerdowntynea ... f%22%7D%7D

Or contact Stu Dobson directly.

They were also giving out "RealRider" accounts. £5 pa instead of £30pa. This is a phone app that detects when you crash (as long as it's at more than 20mph). Waits for 4 minutes of inactivity then rings you. If you don't respond in 2 minutes it goes straight to the 999 system with your exact location and medical history (blood group, medication, allergies etc..). I know BMW and other manufacturers do something similar but they pinpoint the vehicle (and not you) and they have to go though a separate call centre. AFAIK RealRider is the only system approved to contact the emergency services directly and also the only one that tells where YOU are (or rather your phone...) and not the bike. A no brainer for a fiver.
Thanks for that mate. Good app too :thumbup:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Finally got round to booking mine at Rochester on 21st June.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

tony.mon wrote:Finally got round to booking mine at Rochester on 21st June.
Good man. Must tell us what you think of it.
Watty

Post by Watty »

KermitLeFrog wrote:
tony.mon wrote:Finally got round to booking mine at Rochester on 21st June.
Good man. Must tell us what you think of it.
Mine is in the process of being booked too :thumbup:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!