GRAINSTORM IV 22nd April 2017.

Get on yer bike and lets rumble!!

Moderators: AMCQ46, geodude

VTR Phoenix

Re: GRAINSTORM IV 22nd April 2017.

Post by VTR Phoenix »

Great day Mac, or what was left of it by the time we got there. And thanks for the caliper bolts, got home in one piece, engine and caliper still attached.
If it aint broke, get your bloody hands off it!
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Great day, thanks for hosting Mac. Nice to see all the old guys. There appeared to be a couple of interlopers under the age of 50! Bloody yoofs coming along giving their VFR a blow dry. What's the world coming to?
The photos loaded in reverse order so the first ones are later in the day the last photo of Mac descending on the prostrate Steve is entirely a personal lifestyle choice and not something we should judge them on! Moooaaar ooh err missus! :lol:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
StormyRob

NIGHTMARE FOLLOWED BY DR|EAM

Post by StormyRob »

So. Today.

I had pretty much finished the storm aside from some simple jobs. However I knew she was not holding charge and was running quite rough. Anyway, I very much wanted to be at Grainstorm so the run from Worthing to Grain was the maiden voyage. 87 miles. When I started at 0630 I did not expect to be arriving at 1030!

I got filled up about 17 miles into the journey and then met Vtrphoenix at Clacket Lane services on the M25. Tony.mon then came along. I

We then headed off to pick up a few of the lads near Orpington. On the way there was a little moment when vtrphoenix and I lost Mr Mon at a roundabout :lol:

Vtrphoenix and I went different ways. I got myself in a rush to get back up the road so pulled in to do a u-turn. And that is when it happened. My own b%@£ard leg got in the way and the bike went down on the right side. Some scuffs to fairing, footpeg, lever and side casing but thankfully no breaks or cracks so it can be touched up.

Well so far that sounds bad. However it was only the beginning. Picked up the fellas a short time later and my Storm would not start. Thankfully there had been some forward planning. Vtrphoenix had a little portable jump start kit which worked a treat. And then it happened again a few more miles up the road and I think again!

Then...on the A2 I had to call the AA as the jump start kit would not work. I brought a battery loaned to me from a CBR 929. Smaller battery but tried it anyway and it would not quite start the bike. However that and the jump start kit was enough to get her going. It was pissing down at this time too!

Anyway off again. Made it all the way to Grain! However 1.9 miles from Mac's place she died again. Now we thought it was battery but in hindsight it was possibly fuel at this point. Anyway pete and vtrphoenix waited with me at the side of the road and Tony went to get a battery from Mac. When he got back we realised we had no fuel. Not I had actually only got about 70 odd miles from the whole tank with sensible riding the whole way! Not good. Off Tony went again and got some fuel, also from Mac. Storm fired up and made it the whole 1.9 miles.

And really that is where the sh1t ended. I got fantastic help from the fellas there. Be it advice or physical help. Turns out my reg/rec was shafted. Thankfully there was one on hand as you'd obviously expect which worked and was very much appreciated. Malc and Pete sorting the poor earthing due to powder coating which was fantastic.
There was some nice work done with the carbs and some routing issues. Turns out there was also a damaged sprarkplug. Almost closed gap. Now, no matter what anyone says (Tony) I did not drop that spark plug. :lol:

With this work done by some fantastic lads she was fired up. At this point I believe Malc said "do you want it ti sound any sweeter Rob?" It could not have sounded better. So pleased with it now. It is a different bike entirely and it is thanks to the workshop day and the help I got from everyone. I would name everyone but I do not know the usernames and don't want to leave anyone out!. But there was a lot of willing people. Be that those that hung back with me several times in the rain, those that offered opinions, those that just said nice things about the bike and those that did things to the bike. An absolute godsend.

Also quite happy vtrpheonix managed to sort the issue with his bike which we thought was 180 out. Different bike now. Which brings me on to how Project Blue MK2 was an angel in disguise today. When my bike died on the A2 it really died and I had to slow traffic down on my nearside by waving before heading across the chevrons or id have been in the middle of the carriageway.

When I stopped a couple stopped beside me. I thought they were checking if I was OK. However the first thing he asked was "did something just fly off your bike?" I told him definitely not after quickly checking. He told me something had rattled along his roof. I had seen vtrphoenix heading past a few seconds earlier and he took a while to stop. Brakes were a little "spongey." Actually both of his caliper mounting bolts had come out which was the cause of the rattle of that man's roof :lol:

On a serious note lucky to be alive as caliper was hanging there. That is what happens on a shakedown ride. Also happens when things end up rushed so very easily done. I just happened to have a socket set in my bag so we used 2 exhaust hanger bolts and they worked well. Well done Project Blue for stopping at the right time. sh1t happens.

This was my first storm meet. Been wanting to go for a couple of years and it just never happened. I now have a storm that runs well and just needs tidied up. If I am able to get over next year I will and I recommend it to anyone. So many people just there to help if they can. You don't really get that anywhere else. Was really to actually meet some people in person for the first time too.

Cannot remember what time I left. vtrphoenix, pete and Luke were with me. Stopped at Clacket Lane to say goodbye to pete and vtrphoenix. Luke and I then continued down the M23/A23. The first time I really got to open her up and she was absolutely fantastic! Really moves and sounds bloody good.

Thanks to everyone, especially Mac. You give up your place to a load of random people from all over. Not many people would do that. I am sure everyone appreciates it and look forward to another one.

I do have a couple of pics that I will upload later.

Again sorry if I have left anything or anyone out but this was such a rant and was hard enough!
If you don't try you never know if you can do it.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Home safe and sound. Great seeing everyone again and connecting with some new faces too.
There was plenty of banter and jobs going on too, it's not all choccie biscuits and chat whatever anybody says.
Big thanks to Mac for hosting a very successful day and cheers to all the chaps and chapess for making so enjoyable

One question. Why is it I always have a sore ass after going to Macs???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

nice work mac &co, looks like you had a great turn out.
AMcQ
Lukejay1

Post by Lukejay1 »

Kev L wrote:Great day, thanks for hosting Mac. Nice to see all the old guys. There appeared to be a couple of interlopers under the age of 50! Bloody yoofs coming along giving their VFR a blow dry. What's the world coming to?
The photos loaded in reverse order so the first ones are later in the day the last photo of Mac descending on the prostrate Steve is entirely a personal lifestyle choice and not something we should judge them on! Moooaaar ooh err missus! :lol:
Had a great day, it was great to finally meet some of you youngsters! Thanks for everyone's help and see you all soon!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Pete.L wrote:
One question. Why is it I always have a sore ass after going to Macs???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Too much spanking the donkey.

I had a good day, thanks to all who turned up.

It started well when I met Rob and VTRPhoenix at Clacket's Lane.
i spotted that there was a missing castle nut on his main engine mounting bolt.
But I rummaged in my rucksack and pulled out a spare one.

It just so happened that I was taking a spare bolt, adjuster and nut for Vanstub's engine swap, so had one on me. But it looked as though I was really well organised and ready for anything!
If only....

Missed the bacon, though. Even the vol-au-vents and Danish Pastries had gone by the time we got there. Two very crispy cold shreds of cheap fatty unsmoked Aldi special were all that I could find, so guzzled I doughnuts instead.

Our delayed arrival was due to Rob's bike's use of batteries- including the portable booster (I was well impressed with that) it was on it's fourth battery to my knowledge when it limped in to Mac's.
Here are some of the guilty parties:

However, when Malc and I lost Rob and VTRphoenix by the side of the A2, I walked over to the slip road to see if I could see them on the slip, and found a kitchen fork laying in the gutter. So we lost them at the fork in the road. I kept the fork as a memento. A plated silver lining....

As said, on one of the breakdowns it was lack of fuel, not battery, that was the cause:

It didn't take too long after we got to Mac's to find out why Rob's bike was a bit sickly!
I pointed out a few routing issues that were causing it to run a bit rich- the icing the cake was the iridium plug with a 5 though gap....no wonder it was running a bit rough :lol:
Hopefully it's there or thereabouts now, a new set of plugs will also help.

He looked a bit sheepish when it was pointed out, lucky some people who might be a little over-fond of sheep weren't there to take advantage....

Well done Mac, you drew a good crowd once again. But where's the sticker, and the Jehovah's Witlesses?

Standards are dropping, my boy.
:wink:
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
baycat

Post by baycat »

my first grainstorm and I loved it. see an sp for the first time in the flesh. watching those working on Robs bike was like watching a crew of skilled surgeons working on a truma patient,i was well impressed.Rob must be over the moon. thanks to Tonymon for setting up my forks,. I road home on a much better bike. a great day and a lot of good work done. this is all thanks to Mac our host well done Mac. as for vanstub steve you really need a spell of good luck I think I will say a prayer for you mate.
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

Excellent photo Tony. I'm not sure if that's a smile of a grimace. Either way, there are two packets of biscuits in that storm.

All very much appreciated though. Fantastic day for me, despite the damage!
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

Another great Grainstorm meet.
Big thanks to Mac yet again for letting up rampage his man cave.
Was great to meet Stormy Rob & VTR Phoenix on the way and as said was pretty eventful in the pis sing rain but what a close shave with the caliper bolts, that could have been very nasty.
Loads of fettling on the day and Tony helped me with my fighters water pump bearing and mechanical seal.
Felt really sorry for Steve bike but still took the piss out of him as usual, and the race is on as to wether his steed is on the road before mine, good luck mate and hope you get it sorted soon

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
Lukejay1

Re: NIGHTMARE FOLLOWED BY DR|EAM

Post by Lukejay1 »

StormyRob wrote:So. Today.

I had pretty much finished the storm aside from some simple jobs. However I knew she was not holding charge and was running quite rough. Anyway, I very much wanted to be at Grainstorm so the run from Worthing to Grain was the maiden voyage. 87 miles. When I started at 0630 I did not expect to be arriving at 1030!

I got filled up about 17 miles into the journey and then met Vtrphoenix at Clacket Lane services on the M25. Tony.mon then came along. I

We then headed off to pick up a few of the lads near Orpington. On the way there was a little moment when vtrphoenix and I lost Mr Mon at a roundabout :lol:

Vtrphoenix and I went different ways. I got myself in a rush to get back up the road so pulled in to do a u-turn. And that is when it happened. My own b%@£ard leg got in the way and the bike went down on the right side. Some scuffs to fairing, footpeg, lever and side casing but thankfully no breaks or cracks so it can be touched up.

Well so far that sounds bad. However it was only the beginning. Picked up the fellas a short time later and my Storm would not start. Thankfully there had been some forward planning. Vtrphoenix had a little portable jump start kit which worked a treat. And then it happened again a few more miles up the road and I think again!

Then...on the A2 I had to call the AA as the jump start kit would not work. I brought a battery loaned to me from a CBR 929. Smaller battery but tried it anyway and it would not quite start the bike. However that and the jump start kit was enough to get her going. It was pissing down at this time too!

Anyway off again. Made it all the way to Grain! However 1.9 miles from Mac's place she died again. Now we thought it was battery but in hindsight it was possibly fuel at this point. Anyway pete and vtrphoenix waited with me at the side of the road and Tony went to get a battery from Mac. When he got back we realised we had no fuel. Not I had actually only got about 70 odd miles from the whole tank with sensible riding the whole way! Not good. Off Tony went again and got some fuel, also from Mac. Storm fired up and made it the whole 1.9 miles.

And really that is where the sh1t ended. I got fantastic help from the fellas there. Be it advice or physical help. Turns out my reg/rec was shafted. Thankfully there was one on hand as you'd obviously expect which worked and was very much appreciated. Malc and Pete sorting the poor earthing due to powder coating which was fantastic.
There was some nice work done with the carbs and some routing issues. Turns out there was also a damaged sprarkplug. Almost closed gap. Now, no matter what anyone says (Tony) I did not drop that spark plug. :lol:

With this work done by some fantastic lads she was fired up. At this point I believe Malc said "do you want it ti sound any sweeter Rob?" It could not have sounded better. So pleased with it now. It is a different bike entirely and it is thanks to the workshop day and the help I got from everyone. I would name everyone but I do not know the usernames and don't want to leave anyone out!. But there was a lot of willing people. Be that those that hung back with me several times in the rain, those that offered opinions, those that just said nice things about the bike and those that did things to the bike. An absolute godsend.

Also quite happy vtrpheonix managed to sort the issue with his bike which we thought was 180 out. Different bike now. Which brings me on to how Project Blue MK2 was an angel in disguise today. When my bike died on the A2 it really died and I had to slow traffic down on my nearside by waving before heading across the chevrons or id have been in the middle of the carriageway.

When I stopped a couple stopped beside me. I thought they were checking if I was OK. However the first thing he asked was "did something just fly off your bike?" I told him definitely not after quickly checking. He told me something had rattled along his roof. I had seen vtrphoenix heading past a few seconds earlier and he took a while to stop. Brakes were a little "spongey." Actually both of his caliper mounting bolts had come out which was the cause of the rattle of that man's roof :lol:

On a serious note lucky to be alive as caliper was hanging there. That is what happens on a shakedown ride. Also happens when things end up rushed so very easily done. I just happened to have a socket set in my bag so we used 2 exhaust hanger bolts and they worked well. Well done Project Blue for stopping at the right time. sh1t happens.

This was my first storm meet. Been wanting to go for a couple of years and it just never happened. I now have a storm that runs well and just needs tidied up. If I am able to get over next year I will and I recommend it to anyone. So many people just there to help if they can. You don't really get that anywhere else. Was really to actually meet some people in person for the first time too.

Cannot remember what time I left. vtrphoenix, pete and Luke were with me. Stopped at Clacket Lane to say goodbye to pete and vtrphoenix. Luke and I then continued down the M23/A23. The first time I really got to open her up and she was absolutely fantastic! Really moves and sounds bloody good.

Thanks to everyone, especially Mac. You give up your place to a load of random people from all over. Not many people would do that. I am sure everyone appreciates it and look forward to another one.

I do have a couple of pics that I will upload later.

Again sorry if I have left anything or anyone out but this was such a rant and was hard enough!

A great day followed by a great ride back. +1 to your comment about Mac giving up his place to strangers,not only that but batch cooked a mean bit of bacon! :D
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

Well some of us wouldn't know about the bacon. All because of me. Helped a few waist lines though I suppose. :beer:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

It sounds like you had another great meet up 8) :D Well done Mac for hosting it, and to all who gave their free time, knowledge and help to others, you guys are what make these meetings so special :clap: :clap:

Thanks to all who posted photo's :thumbup:

Chris.

PS. Mac has been having a few problems logging on, otherwise he probably would have been on here posting up some replies before now.
podman

Post by podman »

Looked like you all had a good time and did some stirling work , all the breakdowns and incidents enroute made for a very interesting read, resourceful bunch !
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

Thanks again Mac for a great day, nice to see Santa this early in the year, always wondered what he did the rest of the year.

Keep up updated with the engine transplant saga.