Miztaziggy

Re: Mini OP Storm Northumberland?

Post by Miztaziggy »

I'm on track at Rockingham on 25th June, but 16th July is ok

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
KermitLeFrog

Re: Mini OP Storm Northumberland July 16 2016

Post by KermitLeFrog »

OK. 16 July it is then. The week after OP Storm Devon. 2 weeks before OP Storm SW Scotland.

Coming:
Kermit
Al
Ziggy

Possibles:
Flatline
Watty
CountryMick
CheekyKev
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

Kermit are you coming up to Scotland? If so when are you riding up?

KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Miztaziggy wrote:Kermit are you coming up to Scotland? If so when are you riding up?

Hi Ziggy, last year I met Al, Pete and Ady at the top of the M6 on Friday after lunch. Happy to make other arrangements. Def getting there for the Friday evening craic.

Last year following Al and Pete on the way in was the only decent ride I got. Chain snapped first thing on the Saturday morning and I'm probably never going to be allowed to forget it!
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Kermit don't forget your chain snapped last year on Sat morn...

Hope that helps... :thumbup:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

KermitLeFrog wrote:
Miztaziggy wrote:Kermit are you coming up to Scotland? If so when are you riding up?

Hi Ziggy, last year I met Al, Pete and Ady at the top of the M6 on Friday after lunch. Happy to make other arrangements. Def getting there for the Friday evening craic.

Last year following Al and Pete on the way in was the only decent ride I got. Chain snapped first thing on the Saturday morning and I'm probably never going to be allowed to forget it!
OK cool.

I didn't make it last year, but the years before that, Ady and I met up with Al at Settle, then ride up through the Dales, A6, M6 etc.

Maybe we could meet you somewhere in the Dales or on the way up for the ride then. There should be a few of us this year. The first couple of years we did this, there was only 4 or 5 of us total. Glad to see it's growing a little now :-)
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Had a look at some campsites today. Strangely a lot of them don't accept tents any more!

Anyway, this one looks OK. http://www.winshields.co.uk/

It's quite basic but does breakfast and a very good pub is 400m down the road. http://www.twicebrewedinn.co.uk/

For those less keen on a tent the campsite has a (very clean and tidy) bunk room (£12 a night instead of £9 camping) or the pub does B&B.

I'll start working on some routes. Plenty to chose from.
countrymick

Post by countrymick »

that spot used to do a verry nice fish finger sandwich.alough the new owner is trying to go upmarket. so good grub great beer up there . :thumbup:
KermitLeFrog

Re: Mini OP Storm Northumberland 16 July

Post by KermitLeFrog »

OK, we're fixed on a date. Me and CountryMick are discussing routes. So many to choose from but probably south in the morning, lunch in Corbridge then north in the afternoon.

Time for another rolecall?

Coming:
Kermit
Al
Ziggy
CountryMick

Possibles:
Flatline
Watty
CheekyKev

Best, if you want the pub or the bunkhouse, to let me know and I'll make sure places are available.
Watty

Post by Watty »

Ian, I'll have to pass on this unfortunately :( , July is full up for me :? Was looking forward to a bit of satnav greenlaning :lol:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
redpig

Post by redpig »

I'm a possible
ook
adyf

Post by adyf »

I'm in Ian would be bunkhouse or b+b it saves loading the bike for one night
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

Yeah me too, bunk house preferable for one night.

If we're doing this, I need to ride up on the Saturday.

I can set off pretty early, I live near Wetherby, so it'll take a little while to get up there, but I was thinking that if I wasn't carrying anything like a tent / airbed I would just put some clothes in the back box and travel light.
The best thing for me would be to start this run in the northern part of the Dales, say Hawes at 9.30-10am, then ride up from there, over Buttertubs, to Reeth, Barnard Castle then all the way up through the north Pennines, and finish the day at the camp site / bunk house.
If we were to start further up, that's fine too, but it'll take me a bit longer to get there, say 10.30-11am or something.

Ady are you riding up Saturday morning and if so shall we meet up somewhere?

Al, not sure what your plans are but if you wanted to ride up to mine on Friday night again and stop here, both set off first thing Saturday then let me know.
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Mick, what do you reckon? Meet everyone at Barnard Castle? We could hack down the A68 and turn off at Edmundbyers and take the B6278 to Barnard.

Plenty of options from there. Go back the same way but get back to south of Hexham via Blanchland. Over the racecourse road to the Whitfield road and a stop in Allendale. Then do Alston, Hartside etc.. Or we can head direct for Alston or even Melmeby and go over Hartside heading east.

I think we need to completely avoid Hexham town and Corbridge as the bridge to the A69 will still be closed and both places will be chaos.

From Alston we can head north and then we're never very far from the military road and the bunkhouse. I've booked 6 places in the bunkhouse with Bill and Iona.

Toodle pip!
Ian
countrymick

Post by countrymick »

sounds like a good plan ian.put me down for the bunk house to.