Nurburgring 2016

Get on yer bike and lets rumble!!

Moderators: AMCQ46, geodude

KermitLeFrog

Nurburgring 2016

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Got back from Germany this morning. This is a panoramic view of the paddock on Sunday (view full size for full effect). With 10k plus bikes already in the paddock the stewards were controlling entry. Thus it was gridlock outside on the approach road and 1000's just parking up and walking in.

Vast majority were German bikes. I saw 3 Storms (all with flat bar conversions) and a slightly sad SP2. There was the occasional Dutch bike and a few from Luxemburg. A handful from Latvia and one from Norway. Us three were the only UK bikes there (that I saw...). Plenty of interesting stuff, Simpsons, Zundapps, Sachs plus the obligatory single cylinder BMWs and R50 and R60 sidecars rubbing shoulders with V8 engined trikes and one streamliner. Tons of other stuff as well. I loved this TDR and the 125 KTM Dukes looked lovely as well.

Due to accidents and other stuff we only got 3 laps of the Nordshleife in but that was enough for me to remind myself of stuff I had forgotten for over 20 years and scare myself sh*tless by getting the exit of Hocheichen nearly correct and thus running down to the blind rise at Quiddelbacher Hohe at about 150 knowing the blind double apex at Fluglatz SHOULD be taken flat out (which it wasn't).

Some of the cars were stunning. If you can you try and keep a track of them in your mirrors but in a tricky bit you concentrate on the road in front and get just a little bit rattled when a breathed on GT3 takes your line at about 40mph faster.

All in all a fab long weekend. Sunny all the time until we I arrived in Newcastle to a sea fret and drizzle.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
Kev L

Re: Nurburgring 2016

Post by Kev L »

Sounds brilliant mate :thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

wombles that looks busy !
Don't know why but I've never had the urge to go and still don't .
Think is sharing the track with cars but I dont know .

Maybe one day :-)
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Wow!
That looks great :thumbup: Glad you enjoyed it :D
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

my German mates were telling me it was like a convoy there a few weeks ago, there was no many bikes!!!!

I think I need to go there :D
AMcQ
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

lloydie wrote:wombles that looks busy !
Don't know why but I've never had the urge to go and still don't .
Think is sharing the track with cars but I dont know .

Maybe one day :-)
Have to admit the cars seemed faster than the last time I was there (over 20 years ago). Probably just me getting slower. I'm told a common problem is a car getting under a bike into a corner and slamming on the brakes. The bike can't stop as fast and goes into the back of the car.

Bikes also seem to be 2nd class citizens. It costs the same whatever the vehicle (euro 29 per lap, volume discounts available) but they will often close the track to bikes but not cars.

It's still a worthwhile experience though. Sunday was a special day but even on a normal tourist day it's petrol-head heaven. We stayed in Nurburg itself and the B&B prices were very reasonable, euro 240 for 4 nights single occupancy of a twin room. Just check your insurance and european recovery.

Another option. Three lads from London bought an old Jag for £600 and spent a few days coming over though the Chunnel and taking in Spa and then the 'ring. Last seem the big cat was still wiffling along.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)