A9 Average Speed Camera System is now live - 28th Oct 2014

Where are the boys in blue hiding??????
TheGingerBeardMan

A9 Average Speed Camera System is now live - 28th Oct 2014

Post by TheGingerBeardMan »

A9 Average Speed Camera System now operational

Today, Tuesday 28th October 2014. the Average Speed Camera System on the A9 has gone live.

The system will be visible along the A9 from just north of Keir Roundabout (Dunblane) to just south of Raigmore Interchange (Inverness). While this is approximately 136 miles (220 kms) the system will not operate over the entire length.

"Our Speed Limit Awareness Campaign launched on Thursday 9th October to refresh A9 road users speed limit knowledge in advance of the new average speed camera system going live on Tuesday 28th October 2014".

"More information about the Average Speed Camera System on the A9 is available here". http://a9road.info/safety-statistics/safety-cameras
If it ain't broken...f*ck about with it until it is.

TAX: 1st March 2017
MOT: 16th March 2017
INS: 14th March 2017
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Re: A9 Average Speed Camera System is now live - 28th Oct 20

Post by firestorm_al »

The problem with the A9 is the extended stretches of it being single carriageway and HGV's being restricted to 40mph. Therefore I cannot understand why the spped cameras extend from the Broxden roundabout at Perth all the way down the dual carriageway to Dunkeld!!

Al.
TheGingerBeardMan

Post by TheGingerBeardMan »

I dunno! They've been arguing for ages about wanting to dual the whole lot, but, understandably, that's gonna cost too much - both in finances and disruption.

They seem to put the cameras at known accident blackspots, and attempt to now get folk to slow down before they hit them (no pun intended).

But, what these cameras will probably now do, is make the known "blackspots" safer, but create new blackspots in unrelated areas of the road?

I've always said that roads are not dangerous. It's the idiots that use them. People overtake at stupid places on the A9, and a few who do not pay attention always seem to come a cropper at the same points of the road - where the dual carriageway ends, and it becomes single again. They ask "are we still on the dual?", and find out the hard way, driving on the right, and then see an oncoming vehicle on "their" side. I've seen a fair amount of cars (and coaches) still drive on the right, even up to a mile past leaving the dual!!

How can anyone be that dumb? Folk who do that should be taken off the road and have a Highway code rammed up their nether regions, forced to re-sit the test, and automatically have 10 points on their licence. The road is well signposted, and well marked with paint - it's one of the best roads up here to ride on. So, anyone who makes a mistake should not blame the road, but blame themselves.

I've ridden the bikes, and driven other vehicles on the A9 many a time, and never had any hint of an incident - not even at Ballinluig, where everyone bitches and moans at the "dangerous junction".

The only thing I can see coming from the A9 cameras, is that people will instead now speed in places where there are no cameras. It will also swell the funds of Bear Scotland/Highland Council/Northern Constab and many others. :(

A quote I heard a few years back regarding driving the A9, was "I'd rather see a good driver doing 75mph on the road, than a bad driver doing 55mph". I quite liked that, but, can see some faults and arguments in it also.
If it ain't broken...f*ck about with it until it is.

TAX: 1st March 2017
MOT: 16th March 2017
INS: 14th March 2017
tattie

Post by tattie »

A quick update on the A9 from someone who travels it most days of the week.

North of Inverness where we used to see the run of the mill numbers of unmarked cars (not a lot and mainly when they said they were having a purge in certain areas) we are now seeing a big increase in their presence, so folks when you are out and about touring etc in the summer, keep the eyes peeled.

Mind you if you drive a timber lorry and are constantly 10+ mph over the limit they will ignore you!!

Cheers

A.M.
Common sense ain't all that common!