How to tell if the Gatso is live...

Where are the boys in blue hiding??????
Martin

Post by Martin »

Kaz...Road Angels do the job pretty well, but I spoke to a guy on Wednesday who got done by a bloke sat on top of a bridge with a laser speed gun/camera set up. His Road Angel didn't even pick it up. He asked me to test it for him, and the laser speed gun we used picked his vehicle up and recorded a hit just before his detector sounded a warning!
I wish they'd get rid of GATSOs, at least you've got a chance of pleading your case against a person...and they don't show HOW you were driving only how fast.
Drink to contentment not to capacity. I just haven't figured out which comes first.
Martin

Post by Martin »

:oops: Ah the secret is out. Unfortunately yes, I work for the Dark Side. I've never stuck someone on for small plates/dark visors/race cans though! Some of us are human after all....and I ride my 'storm all year round, every day unless it's snowing.
Drink to contentment not to capacity. I just haven't figured out which comes first.
Martin

Post by Martin »

:twisted: Ride it like yer stole it!!!!!!!! Anything else and you might as well walk.
saint

Post by saint »

RQ wrote:Also, to collect the proof, two photographs are taken in quick succession, so that the distance travelled can be seen. Obviously the "quick succession" is a known time....
Do they need the 2 pictures?
On my way home today I was going past a gatso at 30mph towards the end of the "ruler" I accelerated a little, i then saw a single flash in my mirror. will I have to worry? 3 more points and my license is gone.
has this happened to anyone else? did you get away with it.....
Many thanks
T.
sparky750

Post by sparky750 »

I bought the snooper s4 a few months back more than impressed with it and i will get round to fitting it to my storm. I also have a flip up plate that i've had for a while "for track day purposes only officer" :wink: bought from an ad in mcn 60 quid i think works well and again i will get round to fitting it on my storm
The voices made me do it
appledell

Post by appledell »

they are there to catch anybody speeding when overtaking at the gatso position ??
V8 on 4 wheels V2 on 2
Drac

Post by Drac »

The lines on the road, ie, the ruler type markings are indeed to check the vehicle speed against the sensor data which activated the Camera. When these are even refreshed ontop of the old markings they have to be independantly checked and measured for accuracy.

The lines come in pairs i presume because at some locations they erect a spare pole on the opposite side of the road so if they wanted could move the box across ( those on cenral reservations can just be swung around.)

BTW for peeps in Lancashire..locations of cameras can be found here

http://mario.lancashire.gov.uk/

open up mario viewer, select transportation as a category and lots of handy things you can pick which will show on the map ( including speed cameras/devices)

btw first post here as a very new VTR owner in Leyland Lancashire, so Hi.
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

Markings on both carriageways is because most newer Gatso installations can be turned round to point either way. Even if they are mounted on the other side of the road they can still cover the far carriageway. Indeed cameras on dual carriageways can cover all three lanes.

And just because a Gatso flashes you it doesn't always mean you are nicked because a) they may not have a camera (90% in some areas) or even if they do the film does run out (which is why they are soon to be converted to digital).

In Bedfordshire just up the road from me they have Truvelo cameras, the ones that face towards you. These are operated from wires in the road so if you can scrub off enough speed before hitting the first wire (quite obvious as they usually have a white line painted on top) you are OK.

Don't expect them to flash though as they are infa red only but being front facing they can't get bikes. However some have wires installed on both sides of the road, so I'm not entirely certain they can't catch traffic in both directions? On the A1 southbound between Sandy and Biggleswade they have a Truvelo that is sometimes pointed at the rear of vehicles and has the familiar white lines painted down the road (yet still has the wires in the road before the camera), strange that.

And a recent case of a BMW rider who used to give a Truvelo the bird every time he passed at speed proves that you are not immune on a bike. The Police checked and found that there were only three of that model registered near the camera site. So they checked them out and found the correct bike as a result of the distinctive extra spot lights fitted and the rider having identical riding gear to the photos. That was enough for him to get done for speeding and without due care and attention (he only had one hand on the bars at speed) luckily for him they couldn't get a charge of dangerous driving to stick.
Mad Cow
Drac

Post by Drac »

A small digression, two true stories.

A motorist was flashed 3 times by a camera in the same day..being a bit upset, he went back at night with an angle grinder, local residents alerted by the noise called the police who turned up and caught the gent trying to dispose of the now decapitated item into a local park.
Another.

A camera was being installed and a biker (i use the term loosely) taking umbrage at this decided to have a last play on "his" road. After a couple of high speed passes, his finale (sp) was a monster wheely, which he overdid, threw his bike down the road and was subsequently arrested, when the installer rang the police to inform them of the accident.
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

A couple I read about

A elderly driver in Cumbria got a ticket after speeding past a mobile camera van on the A66 just east of Keswick. (A regular one that that -nearly got me in the car once).

The next time he drove past, he gave the operator V signs with both hands.

Of course he got prosecuted for not being in proper control of the vehicle!

Another disgruntled speeder in the north east decided to extract revenge on the camera and went along one night to give it a "Soweto Necklace" i.e. an old tyre filled with petrol. Once he had torched it he thought he could just dissapear into the night. Unfortunately he failed to spot that the house it was outside of had CCTV cameras installed :roll:
Mad Cow
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

A couple I read about

A elderly driver in Cumbria got a ticket after speeding past a mobile camera van on the A66 just east of Keswick. (A regular one that that -nearly got me in the car once).

The next time he drove past, he gave the operator V signs with both hands.

Of course he got prosecuted for not being in proper control of the vehicle!

Another disgruntled speeder in the north east decided to extract revenge on the camera and went along one night to give it a "Soweto Necklace" i.e. an old tyre filled with petrol. Once he had torched it he thought he could just dissapear into the night. Unfortunately he failed to spot that the house it was outside of had CCTV cameras installed :roll:
Mad Cow