M6- unmarked car with camera,Lancaster/Kendal area

Where are the boys in blue hiding??????
bikerpiker

M6- unmarked car with camera,Lancaster/Kendal area

Post by bikerpiker »

I spotted, infact i overtook an unmarked very dark navy blue/black volvo,...it was sitting in the inside lane of the M6 motorway ,, he was doing around 65mph, i was doing around 80mph in the car , it had a camera set up in the back, i could see the lens quite easily as i was only a few feet from it, infact i pointed at it showing the wife and kids without realising at first it was the police :wave:

I was using my dads Sat-Nav system,how accurate are these things?...although i went past them showing 80mph on my car speedo,it was only showing 75mph on the Sat-Nav....is the Sat-Nav 100% accurate?
Stevie
LutonStorm

Re: M6- unmarked car with camera,Lancaster/Kendal area

Post by LutonStorm »

Don't worry about it. You'll only get a ticket through the post if it was a static camera as it has 0mph as it's reference point. (it's not moving is it!?)

The camera in cars are there as a backup for the officer to prove in court what speed you were doing. So unless you were pulled and issued a HORT1 and Endorsable Ticket, you're fine.

The Police aren't able to dish out postal speeding tickets from a moving vehicle as their moving reference point (their sat/nav AND speedo) speed is governed by the GPS system, owned by the US of A and it's calibration methods and accuracy are a closely guarded secret. (you might find it on the internet then, Ed?)

If you're caught speeding from moving vehicle (ie lights/sirens and being pulled to the side of the road) then you have a legal right to ask for the calibration certificate of the car stopping you. (and they obviously need two officers in the car!) Traffic are supposed to calibrate them DAILY but most forces don't and rely on the engineers weekly checks to rectify any irregularities..
Hope that makes you feel better!
storminateacup

Re: M6- unmarked car with camera,Lancaster/Kendal area

Post by storminateacup »

LutonStorm wrote:

If you're caught speeding from moving vehicle (ie lights/sirens and being pulled to the side of the road) then you have a legal right to ask for the calibration certificate of the car stopping you. (and they obviously need two officers in the car!) Traffic are supposed to calibrate them DAILY but most forces don't and rely on the engineers weekly checks to rectify any irregularities..
Hope that makes you feel better!
Just acouple of points(no pun intended) If you are stopped by a moving police vehicle A) there only needs to be one officer legally although some forces require two.
B) It will either have VASCAR fitted that will calibrate itself between two fixed points operated by the officer pushing a button. Or they will use a calibrated speedo which is checked simply by travelling between two fixed points usually the white markings you see painted on the road, (these are also used to check VASCAR), These markings are at a fixed distance apart and you drive between them at a fixed speed as per the speedo and time the travelling time with a calibrated stopwatch. Re-calibrations of stop watches and hand held lasers are carried out once a year.
C) You can require to see the calbrayion certificates but will have to ask them to be produced in court as exhibits.

Best thing is DON'T GET CAUGHT.
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.