Forum Soft??

Please use this forum to ask our resident IT geeks advice.
Masu

Forum Soft??

Post by Masu »

Hey guys.

I really like the set-up of this forum, it is top drawer, IMHO.

This is a total newbie question, but is this a one-off set-up or is it a pakaged deal that is "tweakable" so to speak.

I am a member of a group of foreigner in Japan (Gaijin) and we have a web-group on Yahoo called Gaijinriders. We would dearly love to get away from the Yahoo groups, for a lot of reasons, one is the guy who started the board is not around, so we have no admin. two is it just sucks, but you all know that.

How hard is it to set this up?

I have my own server etc. and a few friends who are in the IT busniess here in Japan that are very computer savy.

TIA!!

Cheers!

JS Stu
"Not all who wander are lost."
-J. R. R. Tolkien
firestorm996

Post by firestorm996 »

Hi Stu

Firestorm_Al is the best person to answer this question as he set the board up (along with another one he runs for the Aberdeen bikers club). As far as I'm aware it's based on an off-the-shelf product that is as configurable as you like - not sure how much it costs tho!

Hopefully Al will be able to shed more light on this for you.
Firestorm996
'98 VTR in black - road whore - track bitch
Masu

Post by Masu »

Thanks!

I'll wait for Al to gome by.

Cheers!

JS Stu
-J. R. R. Tolkien
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

Hi there,

It's an off the shel Forum called phpBB ( the link is at the very bottom of the page ). All you need is a server running PHP and one of the compatable databases. In this case our server is running MySQL.

The forum is easy enough to set up. There is an installation script you can run once the files have been uploaded to your server and then you're up and running. The administration of it can take a bit of getting used to but there is loads of info on the phpBB forum pages.

The only mods I've made to the board has been to edit some of the template files to 'imbed' the forum within the site and alter the time so that all users are set to GMT or BST depending on the time of year.

Al.
Masu

Thanks AL!!

Post by Masu »

Hey we got our BBS Up and running, not me, but a gu who knows what he is doing :)

If you have a moment you can take a look....

http://www.gaijinriders.com/phpBB2/

It is just up, and has not been tweaked much.

Thanks again!

Cheers!

JS Stu
-J. R. R. Tolkien