Opening a link

Please use this forum to ask our resident IT geeks advice.
markbo

Opening a link

Post by markbo »

would it be possible to have links in threads open in a new tab, I often find myself clicking on a link and then closing it instead of going back which means I have to start again!
is there a global setting to open links in a new tab that I've missed in the control panel?

cheers
mark
Wicky

Re: Opening a link

Post by Wicky »

Take a peek in your browser preferences

Also, depending on your OS/browser combination try right clicking when clicking on a link

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Virt

Post by Virt »

If you're running windows and your mouse has a scroll wheel, you can click the link by pressing down on it. This will open the link in a new tab for you with no extra effort involved

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Virt wrote:If you're running windows and your mouse has a scroll wheel, you can click the link by pressing down on it. This will open the link in a new tab for you with no extra effort involved
+1 :thumbup:

that is exactly what I was going to suggest, although I can't see why Wicky's suggestion shouldn't also work,

Chris.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

It's bad SEO for any webpage to open a link in a new tab or window as it breaks the back and forward navigation as well as possibly interfere with assistive devices. It's down to you and how you use your browser to control how you view pages.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
markbo

Post by markbo »

thanks for the suggestions - I usually try to right click and open in new tab or try to click the link with both buttons at the same time which does the same thing (I don't have a scroll wheel).
I didn't realise you could set browsers to open a link in a new tab but I can't find the option in internet explorer to do that (I've got "tabs open links in a new window in other programs" but that doesn't seem to work)
it's just on occasion that I open a link in the same tab and when I do I almost always seem to forget to go "back"!
may be time to try firefox, opera or god forbid google chrome - I've used them in the past but always seem to go back to IE

cheers
mark
Virt

Post by Virt »

No offence is meant here, but please don't use bloody IE..

I work as a software developer for an EA web application and IE is the shittest thing in the world. It follows no standards and insists on making my life difficult. chrome is generally the better browser these days as it's multi-threaded and tracks each tab separately (unlike Firefox, which I do also love), but it has the powerful V8 engine for the java script runtime.

Sorry, now we can return to the topic at hand :lol:

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

+1 On using any other browser than IE
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

No offence is meant here, but please don't use bloody IE..
I love it when even PC users agree that IE is shite. Well said mate. IE like you say has it's own standards. Microshite Explorer plays by a different set of rules to everyone else so not only is it full of security holes but don't play nicely with everyone, especially web designers.

For example a browser like Firefox is stand alone application that does not require installing/integrating items within the main OS system unlike IE. This is one security loophole, why give viruses etc another backdoor into you main system. via your browser.

Just do a search for IE bugs to see how bad a browser it is :roll: the only people that benefit from it are Microshite and that's debatable. :lol:

http://donotuseie.com/

http://www.omgchrome.com/uk-us-governme ... -explorer/

Getting back to the tabs. If you happen to give Firefox a try I would highly recommend using the addon Tab Mix Plus. This gives you a whole load more control over tabs.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside