drefrag problem

Please use this forum to ask our resident IT geeks advice.
brianwinch

drefrag problem

Post by brianwinch »

windows 98. Every thing has gradually slowed down (response times). Have tried to "defrag" C drive but it gets as far as 10%, stops, and then returns to zero. Will keep doing this all day (if I let it). There does not appear to be a capacity problem.Any help would be appreciated.
brian
busydoingnothing
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

Switch on the computer and when it says "starting windows 98" or something close to it, press F8. Choose boot to command prompt and run scandisk. Give that a go first and see how you get on.

Better still, boot into safe mode and run defrag, that should disable most things that access the disk during defrag. Turn off your screen saver while your doing it as well.
Rich.

Max

Post by Max »

I have always found that when a computer causes trouble just smash it to bits with a big hammer and get another. :twisted:
Squiffythewombat

Post by Squiffythewombat »

to be honest, it sounds like a fresh install of windows is due to really bring the old girl back to life. You can defrag and piss about in scandisc all you like but it wont make that much noticeable difference. If you can change windows version to at least 2000 (stay away from ME) as this will then let you use the NTFS file system rather than FAT32 which is what you currantly have. I could write a literal essay on the subject here but im not that much of a geek. If you want any help, just drop me a line...
Squiffy_The_Wombat

Eagles may soar but wombats dont get sucked into jet engines!!
brianwinch

defrag problems

Post by brianwinch »

thanks for members help over the past couple of months. have now upgraded to xp and hope i get no more probs.!
busydoingnothing
Squiffythewombat

Post by Squiffythewombat »

brian, good choice, its all about XP these days! If you need any help i used to build pcs and always willing to help so drop me a line! safe riding!
Squiffy_The_Wombat

Eagles may soar but wombats dont get sucked into jet engines!!