Printer recommendations

Please use this forum to ask our resident IT geeks advice.
Watty

Printer recommendations

Post by Watty »

Can anyone recommend a good value for money wireless printer, preferably incorporating scanner? Don't want to spend a fortune but needs to be decent as the step daughter wiil be using it for college art assignments. Cheers. A northerner :lol:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: Printer recommendations

Post by sirch345 »

I can't recommend a make Andy, but I would suggest one that has separate inks. That way your daughter can replace only what's run out. Anyone who can suggest a make and model will probably need to know what maximum size of paper it will need to be able to accept, IE A4 would that be the biggest?

Chris.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

I''d be surprised if the department didn't have printers & scanners available for use by students for free or at nominal cost inc. laser & inkjet from A4 to large format etc - cheaper to give her the bus fare and a memory stick - is she doing her Foundation year for graphic design or fine art?

If you do have to her something then look at laser A3 full colour printer, and a separate simple USB scanner.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Watty

Post by Watty »

sirch345 wrote:I can't recommend a make Andy, but I would suggest one that has separate inks. That way your daughter can replace only what's run out. Anyone who can suggest a make and model will probably need to know what maximum size of paper it will need to be able to accept, IE A4 would that be the biggest?

Chris.
Good thinking! A4 would be large enough for home. :thumbup:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
Watty

Post by Watty »

Wicky wrote:I''d be surprised if the department didn't have printers & scanners available for use by students for free or at nominal cost inc. laser & inkjet from A4 to large format etc - cheaper to give her the bus fare and a memory stick - is she doing her Foundation year for graphic design or fine art?

If you do have to her something then look at laser A3 full colour printer, and a separate simple USB scanner.
Thanks Wicky, she's doing art foundation and needs it for home assignments.
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

HP photosmart 5524. from John Lewis £69 with a 2 year guarantee, mine seems great and works with an i mac too.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

HP inks are expensive. I'm an Epson man as a compromise on quality over price, but my advice is to check the ink prices out beforehand as you can get very cheap all in one printer scanners but you may find the ink prices are expensive. Either that or they rip you off with a chip that stops the ink flowing before the cartridge is empty. :lol:

Another note on inks: Buying cheap refillable cartridges etc rather than the genuine ones can cost just as more. 1st they have a tendency to clog up which means more cleaning, wasting ink, especially if left on when not in use and second one never seems to get as much ink out of them as the genuine. Then there's the issues of colour and archivability (is that a word :think: ), how long the print lasts before fading!!!

Personally I'm not a fan of the all in ones, I'm still running a real old Epson 740 I got when I purchased one of the first Bondi Blue G3 IMacs. It still works and ink is cheap.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Watty

Post by Watty »

Thanks lads, some things to think about there :thumbup:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Just buy her one of those biros with four different coloured sections and tell her to do it the hard way.
She'll thank you in the end!*

Or report you to Childline, and you'll be able to get, post-conviction, Rolf to do her assignments for her. But don't tell her, it will spoil her assumption that you're doing it yourself)
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
bazzashadow

Post by bazzashadow »

px700w
i have had hp, lexmark and epson
at the moment i have a epson px700w and i have had no problems with it
and i would only buy epson

1: because it has single cartridges, so only change whats needed
2: price of cartridges(i think its about £2 odd a cartridge from choise statonary)
3: i think it is called dpi the epson has the highest quality i think
4: and finally the best picture quality i have seen
the only thing i don`t like is you have to use the right photo paper or it goes all runny