An enjoyable LINUX " distro " Crunchbang 11..

Please use this forum to ask our resident IT geeks advice.
Saintsman27

An enjoyable LINUX " distro " Crunchbang 11..

Post by Saintsman27 »

Hi... for those who wish to re- energise an old laptop or Pc ..with LINUX... I heartily advise and recomend
trying " Crunchbang 11" Waldorf... I have an old Pentium 4 Compaq Evo which hails from the Windows 2000 professional era... I wiped the hard drive and installed this system and it is very quick ..amazing really puts my Windows 7 in its place. It does all that my W7 laptop does with no expensive updates or heard of viruses/ malware and has the latest java/firewall enabled.....LINUX is totally different from Windows and is fun / intresting to try...the ISO can be downloaded 32 or 64 bit by torrent very quickly..Utorrent is fine for this.

There are oodles of LINUX distros out there and TBH I must have tried a good few of them,including Bodhi , openSuse, Ubuntu , Slackware ,Puppy and Mint etc ... but I really like Crunchbang 11, easy to download / install, its minimalistic and has basic simple commands but do not be mistaken it is as heavy as you want it to be and you add programs and customise as need be... Best of all... it is FREE, EASY ...and there is always help from its very own CB community..... latest relase for Crunchbang is Waldorf and is solid and stable....anyway check it for yourself why not .. I am not commercially motivated in this post and I realise that probably many of you may have heard about LINUX .. others may not have though good luck :thumbup:
2wheelsagain

Re: An enjoyable LINUX " distro " Crunchbang 11..

Post by 2wheelsagain »

Interesting. What GUI does it have? I'm partial to gnome but havent played with Linux for several years.
It may only be my opinion but it's mine!

~ My Bikes 2014 VFR1200F & 2000 VTR1000F ~
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Cheers for that info Alb :thumbup: I've been messing about with different Linux based O/S now for a while (after a very good friend of mine suggested I give them a try), just trying to see which one suits me the best for my old pc. I've been burning them to a DVD and running them from there before I decide and go ahead and actually install one on the hard drive. Some of the ones I've tried are Open Linux, Kwheezy, KDE4 Full Monty, Peppermint and Linuxmint. For simplicity Linxmint seems to be fairly close to a Windows system, well at least closer than some of them, which makes it easier to adapt to it.

I will try to have a look at Crunchbag 11 now you've mentioned it :thumbup:

Chris.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

For simplicity Linxmint seems to be fairly close to a Windows system
Now there's a contradiction in terms. :lol:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

:p you know what I mean :)

Chris.
Virt

Post by Virt »

Well windows IS simple..

If I asked a simple person a question about quantum physics, say the double slit theory, then I'd expect them to just freeze up and not respond. If I ask windows to open up Firefox or Sublime, the same thing happens... :lol:

I use Ubuntu at work for development, and occasionally at home. I'm happy with it, can't be bothered to go through installing more OS's on my lapop, poor thing is suffering due to all my torture right now.
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
Saintsman27

Post by Saintsman27 »

Well in reply to 2wheelsagains query.... I quote from the web ..Crunchbang has an " Openbox" GUI .a desktop
GUI ..now sorry if this feels a bit geeky ... har :D
The Desktop GUI is one which you really don't see too often----OpenBox-- probably one of the best lightweight Stacking Window Managers, which when combined with LXDE components and tint2 panel exhibits simplicity and monochromatic super displays in the default colour scheme used by Crunchbang. That combined with the use of Conky and easy to remember superkeys which are in the Desktop heads-up display makes flying around the system a pure unadulterated delight. One right-click and up pops the OpenBox minimalist menu, which is quite adequate when you quickly adjust to this method for finding your applications at speed ...

CrunchBang is a Debian GNU/Linux based distribution offering a great blend of speed, style and substance. Using the nimble Openbox window manager, it is highly customisable and provides a modern, full-featured GNU/Linux system without sacrificing performance.

The aim of the CrunchBang project is to produce a stable distribution offering the best possible out-of-the-box Openbox experience. To achieve this goal, CrunchBang pulls many base packages directly from Debian's repositories, which are well-known for providing stable and secure software. Packages from CrunchBang's own repositories are then customised and pinned to the system to produce what is known as the CrunchBang distro.
for further knowledge ... have a look at ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Openbox

good luck :thumbup:
seb421

Post by seb421 »

I much prefer linux over windows, currently on the latest 13.10 ubuntu

once you get use to terminal linux is great
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033
2wheelsagain

Post by 2wheelsagain »

Saintsman27 wrote:Well in reply to 2wheelsagains query.... I quote from the web ..Crunchbang has an " Openbox" GUI .a desktop
GUI ..now sorry if this feels a bit geeky ... har :D
Thanks. I might dust off the old Window$ 7 box and have a play with this distro.
I'm a recent OS X convert at home and operate IOS and Android devices so I'm sure I can work out whats what.

Looking forward to it actually :angel:
It may only be my opinion but it's mine!

~ My Bikes 2014 VFR1200F & 2000 VTR1000F ~