Computer passwords..

Please use this forum to ask our resident IT geeks advice.
Saintsman27

Computer passwords..

Post by Saintsman27 »

Came across this site tonight ... lengths that criminals will go to recover and steal
passwords... keep yours nice and long and throw a few numbers and symbols in :thumbup:
says 16 digits minimum and shows techniques and equipment they use to aquire data ..
so here it is ..

http://thehackernews.com/2013/05/cracki ... words.html

mmm :thumbup:
macdee

Re: Computer passwords..

Post by macdee »

nice one need to tighten up security at vtr portglenone :thumbup:
told you not to but oh no you knew better
Virt

Post by Virt »

I found a site a while back, at work, where you enter your name into a text box and it automatically populates as many other boxes containing your information as possible.

That one was to raise awareness of the safety flaws of letting your browser store information, but there are some less than legit sites doing it apparently. I'll see if I can find it again tonight.

Passwords aren't the main target any more, I'd say

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

As much as a secure password is a must, it is also just as important not to use the same password for more than one site, they even mention that in Saintsman27 link. That is not something I have done myself, but it brought it home to me even more so how important that is, when Adobe reported the discovery of sophisticated attacks on their network in October of last year (2013), involving the illegal access of customer information.

Now if my same Adobe password had been used for other sites, I'm assuming whoever attacked the site would now have access to more than just my Adobe account.

More on the Adobe attack here:-
http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/poli ... alert.html

Chris.
Virt

Post by Virt »

It was only a problem cause Adobe didn't hash and salt their passwords, if they'd gone through the CORRECT PROCEDURES no one would know the passwords except the users, until the hackers cracked the encryption. They just stored it as plain text, which is beyond stupid. :lol:

Sony did the same a few years ago when PSN was hacked, I believe.
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

If a hacker using social engineering can gain access to an initial account then they can begin levering through others…

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/08/ ... cking/all/

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/201 ... -god-cosmo
Before Microsoft beefed up its security, getting a password-reset form on Windows Live (and thus hijacking a gamer tag) required only the name on the account and the last four digits and expiration date of the credit card on file. Derek discovered that the person who owned the "Cosmo" gamer tag also had a Netflix account. And that's how he became Cosmo.

"I called Netflix and it was so easy," he chuckles. "They said, 'What's your name?' and I said, 'Todd [Redacted],' gave them his email, and they said, 'Alright your password is 12345,' and I was signed in. I saw the last four digits of his credit card. That's when I filled out the Windows Live password-reset form, which just required the first name and last name of the credit card holder, the last four digits, and the expiration date."
[youtube][/youtube]
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

So that's it "Wur Doomed" :lol: :lol:

Chris.