BBCode

Please use this forum to ask our resident IT geeks advice.
VTRDark

BBCode

Post by VTRDark »

I was wondering if there is a way we could add some more BBCode tags to the tag list. These don't have to be obvious shortcuts as in the tag list along the top in edit post mode but would be useful additions for...say, advanced users :lol:

I was reading up on how I could add anchor links to my posts. Now I know this can be done, but have the tags been enabled as an option for us.

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?p=7216175

I personally would like to be able to add a Table of contents in some of my write up's/guides.

While searching I also came across many other options that can be used including left/right and center text tags which would be handy. Come to think of it the indent tag would be handy too. I have come across times where I could have done with that! I tried spaces and tab but the PHB shoves things back over to the left at the beginning of a line. The spoiler tag seems interesting I thought this would be handy for the Racing section but it's simple enough to just add (spoiler) in the title. :think:

I know I could make use of these extra tags.

So ideas, thoughts please.

Would it be useful

is it possible

Yes

No

Please

Pretty please :biggrin

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Virt

Re: BBCode

Post by Virt »

Can you not use a HTML anchor of <a name="foo bar"></a> and then use a generic jQuery.animate to scroll to it? I'm curious. In my project at work it withdraws such values from a database and they are hidden and work appropriately, would the same hold true here? (Provided the forum uses jQuery), or would it be dangerous and provide scripting attack access and thus not being accessible? Hmm...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
Virt

BBCode

Post by Virt »

Ignore me. I had a brain fart. Can't insert scripts into the HTML <body> tags. Herp a derp. I'm tired. Shush.

edit: No wait. I think you can with <script> tags. I'll revisit this in the morning when I have a functioning brain

VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

:lol:

The funny thing is BBCode (I think) is designed as way to make things more simple for the regular user. I guess security comes into it as well. But it would be more straight forward if html/xhtml could be used sometimes. we may just have the default settings in the php, I don't know, but if there are extra useful features that can be enabled then I would like some. The text formatting tools we have access to are a little basic for my liking.

Virt

Post by Virt »

It's PHP. It hates making things simple, annoying language :lol:

Ignore what I said. I was right but I wasn't thinking straight, scripts and anchors are capable of being fitted into the body but not into textarea's or the likes that will be used for the forum posts(been in garage all day so can't check site source on laptop).

In my defence I have been really ill since Wednesday and I was out of it

lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

Virt wrote:Ignore me. I had a brain fart. Can't insert scripts into the HTML <body> tags. Herp a derp. I'm tired. Shush.

edit: No wait. I think you can with <script> tags. I'll revisit this in the morning when I have a functioning brain

I,d need to understand you first YMV :lol: :roll:
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
Virt

Post by Virt »

:lol: :lol: true that. I ramble, sorry :P

VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

And ramble in another language. :biggrin

Virt

Post by Virt »

I ramble in PHP, perl, Java, JavaScript, c#, all forms of VB... Probably forgetting one or two. Rambling is fun :D what's not fun is rambling while you code. I started daydreaming while coding, shook myself awake 2 hours later and almost cried. It worked perfectly, but I could barely read it because of how I did it. Then again, it was PHP :lol:

lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

I refer you to my previous post your honour.
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
darkember

Post by darkember »

Geek corner :lol: :lol: :lol:
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Does that come with fried rice or chips ?