Who thinks Windows 8.1 Firewall is good enough?

Please use this forum to ask our resident IT geeks advice.
VTRDark

Re: Who thinks Windows 8.1 Firewall is good enough?

Post by VTRDark »

Do you use 'Little Snitch'?
Yep I monitor outgoing as well as incoming traffic. But even little Snitch is not infallible. Sometimes the etc/hosts file needs altering to block certain servers.

http://www.winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

hi ive just got a massive virus called "crypto locker" it shagged my computer this is a new one, totally locked all files and pics etc, cant get it off, google it its a bloody killer.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

bigtwinthing wrote:hi ive just got a massive virus called "crypto locker" it shagged my computer this is a new one, totally locked all files and pics etc, cant get it off, google it its a bloody killer.
Sounds great, or very bad, one of those anyway.
I never know with you young people!
Bad is good, good is bad, massive is a group of friends from your area, but so is a hood.
But a hoodie isn't a person from your home area.
A massive hoodie is just an indicator of over-excessive McD consumption.

Killer, massive Crypto, totally high five!

Or, oh, dear, a shagged terminal, it seems to be, erm, terminal. Never mind, the January sales will be on soon, they start in November.
:thumbdown: :thumbup: :confused
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Carl, I have just been looking at your link for Disconnect.me, cheers for posting it, interesting! Funnily enough reading about it reminded me of running a hosts file which I have in the past on my old pc. Then the next thing I notice you have posted up a link to the very one I used :)
IIRC I stopped using MVPS Hosts file when I found I was not getting notifications on any new emails received, unless I refreshed my browser which was a bit of a pita. I did try to find which host was stopping this from happening so I could remove it, but as there is so many I gave up in the end and removed the file. One thing I will say, when I did run a hosts file, I never needed Adblocker or anything else to keep a handle on pop up adverts etc.

One thing that don't understand is, they say we all have our own IP address. What stops me from parking up outside of somebody else's house in my car and connecting my laptop (if I had one :lol: ) to the Internet via their hub (providing they have an open connection of course). Wouldn't that mean I would be using their IP address?

A good point about cookies, I do check for those on a regular basis.

Chris.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

bigtwinthing wrote:hi ive just got a massive virus called "crypto locker" it shagged my computer this is a new one, totally locked all files and pics etc, cant get it off, google it its a bloody killer.
I hadn't heard of it until now, I hope you have everything backed up, and/or even a copy of your hard drive on an external hard drive :?:

Chris.
Virt

Post by Virt »

I've heard of crypto locker. Absolutely nothing can be done once it takes effect. It's a thing of beauty, in that it is perfect for its purpose..

However it's also the product of possibly the biggest b8stard known to man :thumbdown:
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Does it work by just changing all of the ones to two's?

Zeros and two's isn't going to be very good, except maybe on those odd Apple Max ones.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Then the next thing I notice you have posted up a link to the very one I used :)
How bizzare. I have mine customised, too much of a good thing can be bad sometimes as it can introduce other problems.
One thing that don't understand is, they say we all have our own IP address. What stops me from parking up outside of somebody else's house in my car and connecting my laptop (if I had one :lol: ) to the Internet via their hub (providing they have an open connection of course). Wouldn't that mean I would be using their IP address?
Nothing stops you :plainsmile
IP addresses can change around, IP (internet protocol) is part of TCP/IP layer, the protocols for data being given an address, moved around and talking to each other. You might be confusing IP address with a MAC address which is an individuals machine or network cards identity. This works on a lower level a bit closer to home.

http://www.identityblog.com/?p=1131

==============================Enter the Darkside
Virt

Post by Virt »

sirch345 wrote:
Gonna point out I'm a software engineer, not a system admin, but here is my understanding.

Your router/hub/oojamaflip will have an IPv4 and IPv6 address. IPv6 is confusing and I hate it, so IPv4 it is!

IPv4 is formatted as follows : x.x.x.x ( where x is an integer between 0 and 255, the maximum number that can be displayed with a byte).
The first x (or 2, idk) is a reference to your location/continent. The 2nd (if not a location reference) and 3rd are what makes your IP unique. the 4th one is your 'location' on that router/hub/oojamaflip.

This means that you can theoretically have up to 255 PC's on one router, although very few domestic routers could handle this. But either way you will have a unique IP as the router will assign it, else the router will crash
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

cybercarl wrote:]Nothing stops you :plainsmile
IP addresses can change around, IP (internet protocol) is part of TCP/IP layer, the protocols for data being given an address, moved around and talking to each other. You might be confusing IP address with a MAC address which is an individuals machine or network cards identity. This works on a lower level a bit closer to home.

http://www.identityblog.com/?p=1131

Carl, No, I'm fully aware of the difference between a MAC address and a IP address, especially after all the hassle some ISP gave their leaving customers, when you had to apply for a MAC address yourself. As I understand it now the new ISP does that for you, well BT did for a mate of mine very recently.

Virt, cheers for giving your understanding on the IP address, interesting :plainsmile

Did you find out you did have "Windows Defender" running as I mentioned in a previous post :?: :wink:

Chris.
Virt

Post by Virt »

sirch345 wrote: Did you find out you did have "Windows Defender" running as I mentioned in a previous post :?: :wink:

Chris.
Nope. That would require me having a memory capable of lasting longer than 5 seconds :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Virt wrote:
Nope. That would require me having a memory capable of lasting longer than 5 seconds :lol:
:lol: Okay, that's your task for the weekend :lol:

Chris.
Virt

Post by Virt »

sirch345 wrote:

Chris.
What is? :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Virt wrote:
sirch345 wrote:

Chris.
What is? :lol:
Do I have to repeat myself :lol:
Just type in "Defender" into the search box, then open Windows Defender, if your's has not been turned off then you are running an Anti Virus, as it's built into Defender in W8/W8.1. The anti virus bit was known as MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) that can be used by itself on earlier versions of Windows such as W7 etc. You could be loosing pc resourses if it's still running :lol:
Chris.
Virt

Post by Virt »

sirch345 wrote:
Do I have to repeat myself :lol:
Virt wrote:

We love repeating ourselves here, don't worry.

We love repeating ourselves here, don't worry.
Apparently so! :lol: And I just repeated myself repeating myself to prove that we do repeat ourselves :thumbup:

[qupte="sirch345"]
Just type in "Defender" into the search box, then open Windows Defender, if your's has not been turned off then you are running an Anti Virus, as it's built into Defender in W8/W8.1. The anti virus bit was known as MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) that can be used by itself on earlier versions of Windows such as W7 etc. You could be loosing pc resourses if it's still running :lol:
Chris.[/quote]

I'll have a look later if I can remember :lol: I've still got to do my personal encryption this weekend, not more slacking! :lol: :lol: