postings

Please use this forum to ask our resident IT geeks advice.
chaz

postings

Post by chaz »

trying to look at a couple of bikes for sale and pics are imposed on write up, not helpfull if you want info or location??
Virt

Re: postings

Post by Virt »

What browser are you using?

Try firefox, t'is the best :lol:
Last edited by Virt on Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

I get the same on about 50% of the posts with photos [same with the ones by Chric on polishing] when using my work PC with both Explorer and Chrome browsers, but it is OK on I-pad and i-mac.

but other posts are OK, so I think it also depends on what browser they are using when they post¬ :(
AMcQ
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Try a different browser = Firefox as young Virt suggests or Safari for PC. If anyone is still using Internet Explorer hang your heads in shame.

Could be scripting code with photobucket or this forum that auto resizes the images that your current browser can't properly make work.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Could be scripting code with photobucket or this forum that auto resizes the images that your current browser can't properly make work.
More to do with the double margin/float margin bug or the overflow property and relatively positioned items. And then you have web designers that wont write extra code or workarounds just for the sake of Explorer.

Basically IE is a crap browser, always has been and always will until MS decide to follow standards and do things the same as everyone else.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Virt

Post by Virt »

cybercarl wrote:And then you have web designers that wont write extra code or workarounds just for the sake of Explorer.

Basically IE is a crap browser, always has been and always will until MS decide to follow standards and do things the same as the decent browsers.

Part of my job right now is web design for something, I've been moved from the old dev team (it's a sideways move, not downwards :lol:). For every 5 lines of javascript I write, there's another 6 needed because IE 6, IE 7 and IE 8 don't work like every other browser in the world. I think there reaches a limit of how much you can really care before you give up, I've currently got a 1000 line javscript file. This could easily be halved, or more, if people stopped using IE. Which would be a plus for me and them, because it's slow and so so vulnerable..

I don't understand why they do it so stupidly. It is the only browser that's different. And there's a reason it's not the most popular (or so I hope :lol:). I've used internet explorer less times than I can count on my fingers, once per laptop/computer I use. And that is so I can download Firefox.

Also, I found this a while ago. I thought it would be relevant somehow :lol:

AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

I will see if I can put firefox on my work laptop, as I see the same problem with IE and Google Chrome
AMcQ
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

For every 5 lines of javascript I write, there's another 6 needed because IE 6, IE 7 and IE 8 don't work like every other browser in the world
Exactly and it's not if it's one lot of code for all the versions of IE but different for each version. :twisted: It also gets to the point that some workarounds have to be inline and wont work on a separate IE Hacks CSS page which then comprimises your code for other browsers and they wont validate. :evil: :evil: wombles um is what I say and it gets to the point where you have to say wombles your users. Just give them a bit of code that picks up that they are using IE whatever version and tell them not to use a crappy browser and update to Firefox or similar to use the site. But try convincing non techies to update :roll:

Virt

Post by Virt »

cybercarl wrote: Just give them a bit of code that picks up that they are using IE whatever version and tell them not to use a crappy browser and update to Firefox or similar to use the site. But try convincing non techies to update :roll:

:lol: :lol:

I'd like to keep my job, in honesty :p one of my friends was using IE 6 until a few weeks ago, I've spent god knows how long trying to convince her to change to Firefox (or even Chrome, I was desperate). it was all 'too much work'. So I deleted the shortcut off the desktop and start menu etc. Managed to convince her IE had broken itself with a new update and that she'd need to download a new browser. Obviously she didn't know how, opened her documents and typed in the web address to download the firefox installer (yep. file extension and everything. I don't know why I know this off by heart..) and all was well and good! I feel bad about lying, but at least she isn't a pain to every web developer out there anymore. And her browsing is infinitely more secure :lol:

I don't know a single tech-y/ie person to use IE though. They all use Chrome, which I find just as infuriating. I used it for 3 weeks and nothing worked, YouTube always crashed my plugins and on Facebook nothing would ever load. I couldn't access my messages and I'd have to click a link and then refresh to get to a profile or image or whatever cause I'd only be greeted by a blank screen. Each to their own, as long as it's not IE
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

cybercarl wrote:
...And then you have web designers that wont write extra code or workarounds just for the sake of Explorer.
Why should they when IE doesn't follow web standards and MS make their own up I'm not going to fix things for anyone using for example IE6 first released in 2001 - approx 6% of folk still use it!
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Virt

Post by Virt »

6% ?! Crikey. :eek2 :eek2
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Why should they when IE doesn't follow web standards and MS make their own up I'm not going to fix things for anyone using for example IE6 first released in 2001 - approx 6% of folk still use it!
Oh I totally agree but then there is 7 and 8 and whatever is next to worry about. The older browser support is is not really required with most domestic or small business sites but if you have a Gov or Edu site then they will need to cater for all accessibility standards as it is now required by UK law. Soon this may be the way for all sites in the UK. Actually it is already but it's impossible to enforce. Obviously this is different for the likes of the Gov, Edu or larger buisness sites. There's that smaller percentage of people that can't afford a computer and will pick one up from a charity shop or get given an old one where they have to use an older browser as they are limited by the Operating system.

VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Sorry Chaz I have hijacked your thread. Though it kind of relevant to why your having accessibility issues. Imagine what it's like for visually impaired or the Blind. Pictures are worthless unless they have a relevant description of what the image incorporates for their screen reader to read.

Wicky

Post by Wicky »

But for web accessability that anyone and everyone can access web developers need to write their code in accordance to W3C, WCAG 2.0 guidlines, which IE doesn't always display correctly cos MS don't themselves follow W3C, WCAG 2.0 guidelines. Therefore the problem lies with IE being out of kilter with accessibility guidlines and hence why there is generally a recommendation not to use it.

As for usability - There is no legislation regarding Usability in the UK – it is governed by common sense. Usability best practices ensure that the website’s design is user-centric and will provide the optimum end user experiences.

VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

which IE doesn't always display correctly cos MS don't themselves follow W3C, WCAG 2.0 guidelines. Therefore the problem lies with IE being out of kilter with accessibility guidlines and hence why there is generally a recommendation not to use it.
This is very true and they are wrong for doing so. I suppose this is one of the problems with International companies as they can find get out clauses a bit like tax evasion.

And I was wrong to use accessibility for page position, design and layout as technically it does come under usability even though by not seeing something complete it's not accessible to the end user :lol: But then again one could always disable styles and read the contents. I think it's a bit of a Grey area really. But it could come under the following.
Using style sheets to control the layout and presentation
Dividing large blocks of information into more manageable blocks when possible.
http://www.seqlegal.com/blog/website-ac ... y-act-2010

When possible being the key. And I guess it's impossible with IE without using hacks or workarounds.