LinkedIn.. Help?

Please use this forum to ask our resident IT geeks advice.
Virt

LinkedIn.. Help?

Post by Virt »

Been told by my company today that I need to set up some accounts to interact with clients.. (YAY). First one was LinkedIn, I've signed up but I have no idea what I'm meant to be doing currently. Any help? :lol:

Then there's twitter, twitter isn't very difficult to work out. I just hate it with an absolute flaming passion. But yeah, what's the actual point of LinkedIn? All I see is signing up and saying "Yeah, I work here. And to prove it I'm writing it on my profile and creating some connection thingies with colleagues"...
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
VTRDark

Re: LinkedIn.. Help?

Post by VTRDark »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I know what you mean. I tried Linkedin a few years back and never got on with it. Or is it that I didn't like the whole interface thing, and what's it about. What should I do :confused

Talking about interface design. Here's one I learnt today!!! Dark Patterns http://darkpatterns.org/ I never new it was called that.

As your work is requesting it then I suppose you beta get into it.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Virt

Post by Virt »

cybercarl wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:

I know what you mean. I tried Linkedin a few years back and never got on with it. Or is it that I didn't like the whole interface thing, and what's it about. What should I do :confused

Talking about interface design. Here's one I learnt today!!! Dark Patterns http://darkpatterns.org/ I never new it was called that.

As your work is requesting it then I suppose you beta get into it.

I'll remember that for the android app I'm currently planning :wink: Once I get over my irrational hatred of Java :lol:

It all seems pointless, it seems like Facebook with a higher emphasis on what you've done in the past.. This is my first paid job, everything else I've done was voluntary work. So it keeps complaining at me with messages like "Add your previous jobs" and "Add your university". I have none and I didn't go :( Scumbag LinkedIn.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Sounds to me like you just touching the surface and learning your way around. Filling in you account and profile details is always a hard one. What personal details about yourself do you want to put online. And what has it got to do with you works clients what school you went too etc etc.

It's just another social network site but I think on a more professional basis, as in business. A networking tool if you like, but orientated towards business rather than personal.

==============================Enter the Darkside
Virt

Post by Virt »

Yeah. Just gonna fill in the basic details and set up my profile to look semi-professional and not do much with it. Just respond to messages and what-not. I prefer e-mail as a way of contact. That way I can attach my work signature and feel all important-like :lol: :lol:

Oh well, at least this will stop my CEO and boss seeing anything dodgy :p I do like having a job :lol:
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

It'll ask to connect to your contacts / email and compare that with who else is connected with Linkedin and it'll give you he option wether you want to connect with em / send em an invite. Should ask you what school etc in education section IIRC.

Should be pretty straightforward
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
CB_Phil

Post by CB_Phil »

I basically used my CV to create my page. I joined for different reason thou, basically Im looking to get head hunted. No personal stuff, just experience
Maybe I Don't Like Your Bike Either!