Windows 8 users?

Please use this forum to ask our resident IT geeks advice.
Tweety

Re: Windows 8 users?

Post by Tweety »

Flatline wrote:The link I gave you is Trustedreviews.co.uk

Plenty of up to date info, really worth visiting often

Windows blue was the working title which is now 8.1
Yes... We know... But it's still blue... Hence, it should have issues with speed... :wink:
Image <--- The result of OCMD... I gave up listing the mods in a sig line...
darkember

Post by darkember »

Tweety wrote:

Yes... We know... But it's still blue... Hence, it should have issues with speed... :wink:
Tweety pie stop slagging the Blue otherwise I'll set Sylvester onto you :lol:
Virt

Post by Virt »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
lloydie wrote:MSI GE60 0NC-622UK Gaming Laptop 15.6" Core i7 3630QM Windows 8 Laptop with Killer Gaming LAN ....
i under stand , laptop the rest is :confused .

how much id rather buy hi comp pistons and put a down payment on some cams !!!
i got my note book free 6 years ago with a phone contract lol.
its good for ebay and here and for some cheeky downloads thats all i need one for .
Laptop is all you need to understand. The rest is something you feel with how the laptop runs quickly, something you won't be used to on the snot machine :thumbup:
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
Tweety

Post by Tweety »

darkember wrote:
Tweety wrote:

Tweety pie stop slagging the Blue otherwise I'll set Sylvester onto you :lol:
Oi! No fair!

But, as you should know, Sylvester usually ended up worse for wear... And Tweety as the winner... So... Bring it... :wink:
Image <--- The result of OCMD... I gave up listing the mods in a sig line...
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

lloydie wrote: I don't like that :-( I'm still a fan of xp .
But in time I guess I will have to change .
My note book is starting to show its age now and I've just finished backing it up just in case !
I think I will put one on the Xmas list for Santa :-)
Well done in backing everything up Lloydie, it makes a nice change to hear someone doing that, rather than wishing they had :thumbup:
Windows XP is supported until 8th April 2014............................................unless you have very, VERY deep pockets that is:- http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/04/08 ... r_to_live/
Tweety wrote:

:lol:
Virt wrote: I'm assuming you use the windows key to get back to the other screen then? I normally use that instead of the start button anyway so I could probably make do
That is correct Young Virt, that is one way. The Windows key will swap you from one to the other both ways (Tiles to desktop and vice-versa).
Is that MSI GE60 laptop the one you're getting :?:
lloydie wrote: how much id rather buy hi comp pistons and put a down payment on some cams !!!
I know what you mean, I was thinking that when working out how much myself build pc was going to cost against a trick shock for my VTR :)

Chris.
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

I don't find it that different really, everything is there but in different places. cant say im that impressed really.
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
Virt

Post by Virt »

sirch345 wrote:
Virt wrote: I'm assuming you use the windows key to get back to the other screen then? I normally use that instead of the start button anyway so I could probably make do
That is correct Young Virt, that is one way. The Windows key will swap you from one to the other both ways (Tiles to desktop and vice-versa).
Is that MSI GE60 laptop the one you're getting :?

Yep. I thought about getting something sensible but changed my mind once I got finance approved :lol: My mate runs a small business of 3D animation anyway and I used to help him, but I gave up as the old laptop had incredibly long render times so I thought I'd get back into it as it was a lot of fun to do.. And I like games.. And 8gb RAM is more than I'll ever need, just thought I'd future proof it. And it's such a good price :thumbup:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

laptop had incredibly long render times
:lol: I had a 30 sec clip rendering in Lightwave 3D for just over a week once on my old dual 2ghz processor G5 tower. But that was an incredibly high quality (realistic) ray traced render with shadows, reflections , refractions etc. I also had a HDR image map used for the reflections.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Virt

Post by Virt »

cybercarl wrote:
laptop had incredibly long render times
:lol: I had a 30 sec clip rendering in Lightwave 3D for just over a week once on my old dual 2ghz processor G5 tower. But that was an incredibly high quality (realistic) ray traced render with shadows, reflections , refractions etc. I also had a HDR image map used for the reflections.

It would take in excess of 80 seconds per frame... These were usually between 240 and 360 frames (running at 30fps) so it was unbearable :lol:

over a week is taking the piss though, I'd have given up after 6 hours :lol:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I juts left the computer running for a week. Made sure that the screen saver would not kick in or hard drives go to sleep or anything like that. I was praying that we didn't have a power cut after a couple days. :lol: My eye took a fair while to render as well IIRC, no where near a week though, but maybe 10 hours.

==============================Enter the Darkside
Virt

Post by Virt »

:lol: Madness

Been using W8 for a whole 2 hours now and I haven't wanted to murder any puppies or kittens yet..

When I first started it after the setup process I was greeted by the Metro UI, first thoughts "ew piss off" so I switched straight into desktop.
While I downloaded software and stuff I need and got everything set up how I wanted I thought I'd explore Metro, just to give it a chance. It's a very good idea as it's a lot more user friendly than navigating through endless menu's in the start screen and opening folders to find they're empty. It just doesn't look very nice, and it's hard to get rid of a lot of the icons. You right click them, then a little menu bar appears at the bottom saying "remove shortcut", "uninstall" etc. But it's hard to find out what some of these apps actually do, you can hover over them with a mouse but not all of them will display what the app is called or does. Annoying! I removed most of them and started setting up what I want anyway, screw you Microsoft :lol:

As for the desktop UI, like Chris has said, it's very much the same as the old Windows layout minus the start button. Instead using the Windows key to access the metro UI, however because the metro UI isn't a complete list of all your applications anymore it's not really that necessary. I'd rather hit Windows + D and be reverted to the desktop (minimise all applications) and select what I want from there. Although I'm in progress of clogging up my taskbar so even that won't be necessary soon.

A lot of the useful features though are an absolute PITA. The laptop as default wouldn't save any passwords for websites because I had to tell MS to 'trust' the PC. This was done by visiting their website, being emailed a code, entering the code and then being told "oh yeah. You aren't using IE so we won't do it". I'd removed both shortcuts for IE cause it's crap, and I couldn't find a search function anywhere! After a google search you have to move your mouse to the top right corner of the screen and a bar appears with several options, one of them being search. Search is, if you ask me, the new Start menu. It displays a complete list of all that you have installed, has a textbox you can type your 'query' into and seperates the Applications into different sections, much like the folders in the old start menu.

Overall though, I think it's just a case of getting used to it. The Metro UI has a place in the OS, I'm just not 100% certain what it is yet. The only thing I can think of is using the start bar shortcuts in Desktop View for one thing, and dedicating Metro to another. Although I think you can make unique columns for specific things in Metro... It just seems a wasted idea though currently, I won't be using it until I can figure out what it's best for. I don't have so many applications that my start bar isn't long enough, nor to fill up my entire desktop with icons. It boots up quickly enough, though I'm sure that's partly to do with the actual laptop than just the OS. The setup process is a lot easier than older windows systems too, I feel. Just had to name the laptop, select a colour and connect to Wifi. Everything else was automated.

All in all though, I won't go out of my way to uninstall it and stick W7 on the laptop. I can definitely live with W8 with ease, just finding out what everything is and where everything is will be slightly annoying :thumbup:

Does that answer your question in the first post, Chris? :lol:
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Lets see if your still happy in a few weeks when you've gotten used to it .
Oh and a good review YMV :thumbup:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Just a quick reply Young Virt as I have to go out.

Nice write up :thumbup:
Windows 8.1 will make it possible apparently for it to go straight to the desktop on start-up instead of the Metro UI,

Chris.
gafr

Post by gafr »

gafr here. been using windows8.1 for a couple of weeks now, no problems with it but not a lot in the way of updates. i found that windows8 didnt have many updates either though, so i wouldnt worry about it. set the updates to com e through automatically and then theres no worries at all... :D :D :D
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Virt wrote: I'd removed both shortcuts for IE cause it's crap, and I couldn't find a search function anywhere! After a google search you have to move your mouse to the top right corner of the screen and a bar appears with several options, one of them being search. Search is, if you ask me, the new Start menu. It displays a complete list of all that you have installed, has a textbox you can type your 'query' into and seperates the Applications into different sections, much like the folders in the old start menu.

Overall though, I think it's just a case of getting used to it. The Metro UI has a place in the OS, I'm just not 100% certain what it is yet. The only thing I can think of is using the start bar shortcuts in Desktop View for one thing, and dedicating Metro to another. Although I think you can make unique columns for specific things in Metro... It just seems a wasted idea though currently, I won't be using it until I can figure out what it's best for. I don't have so many applications that my start bar isn't long enough, nor to fill up my entire desktop with icons. It boots up quickly enough, though I'm sure that's partly to do with the actual laptop than just the OS. The setup process is a lot easier than older windows systems too, I feel. Just had to name the laptop, select a colour and connect to Wifi. Everything else was automated.

All in all though, I won't go out of my way to uninstall it and stick W7 on the laptop. I can definitely live with W8 with ease, just finding out what everything is and where everything is will be slightly annoying :thumbup:

Does that answer your question in the first post, Chris? :lol:
I should have explained on how to access the options from that panel on the right of your screen, although to be honest I did think about that, but because you said you had a female friend who was going to be helping you with W8 I didn't see the point at the time. Also I wasn't expecting you to have your new laptop quite so quick, although I should have known you youngsters have to have things happen immediately or the next best thing :lol:
You can also access that panel from the bottom right corner, or the Windows button + C will do the same.

I have to say Young Virt that your laptop is some beast 8) you weren't kidding when you said it was high end spec.

The metro UI (Microsoft have dropped the metro name now, they refer to it as just W8, but we'll stick with it for ease of classification :wink: ) I feel was designed with touch screens in mind.

In my opinion a lot of people who have given W8 a quick try don't like it because they don't understand how it works, they don't know how to get to the desktop, or even if W8 actually has a desktop as they know it. Microsoft IMHO would have had a better reception to their new O/S if they had made the metro UI an option, and had W8 boot up to the desktop first. If users preferred the metro UI to be the first thing they see, they could have changed the settings for that to happen. As for the different place for the power button to shut down the pc, I personally don't see it as a problem.

It will take time to adjust to the new O/S, and as you mention Virt (and I said the very same in an earlier post) it will be annoying at times, as you will want to do something simple quickly, as you did with the old system, but you'll need to search out the way first, which obviously will take longer until you are familiar with it.

Screenshots are made easier in W8, no more needing to go into Paint. Press the Windows button + Print Screen button. Captures are saved in a Screenshots file obviously (said in a Paul Whitehouse Aviva tv ad. voice :) )

The Windows button + X bring up this:-

Yes Young Virt that has answered my question very well thank you :thumbup:

Chris.