Windows 8 users?

Please use this forum to ask our resident IT geeks advice.
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: Windows 8 users?

Post by sirch345 »

gafr wrote:gafr here. been using windows8.1 for a couple of weeks now, no problems with it but not a lot in the way of updates. i found that windows8 didnt have many updates either though, so i wouldnt worry about it. set the updates to com e through automatically and then theres no worries at all... :D :D :D
Cheers gafr for your reply. The problem update is update KB2770816. It's only available for users that have Realtec High Definition Audio drivers.

One person has found a way around the install failure problem by altering the registry slightly. I'm not 100% sure that is the right thing to do,

Chris.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Follow up to Windows Update KB2770816.

I have been trying to get to the bottom of this update problem.
It is now apparent the reason I could not get update KB2770816 to install was simply due to my Windows 8 PC does not need it, even though Windows classified the update as "Important". I was reading the update details butt about face basically.
Just one more test to try once the next lot of updates are available, then fingers crossed I can forget about that update once and for all.

Chris.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

How are this months updates doing Chris?
I was having great fun trying to get mine to load them last night. Windows Defender just kept locking up and freezing.
I'll be doing battle with it again tonight :Argue 1: :Argue 1: After having to do a roll back this morning :wtf:

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Hi Pete,
The Windows 8 updates that were available on September 10th went as below, which I was very pleased with :thumbup: That's using a hard wired (RJ45 ethernet cable) Internet connection. Times will also most likely very depending on your broadband speed. On another note I'm not using Windows Defender. I'm using a trial version security suite by Kaspersky that was pre-installed on this new PC.

There were 7 Important updates available 87.5MB in total.

Downloading took approx 4mins.

Installing took approx. 3mins.

Next restart pc as suggested followed by Windows Configuring Updates.

Total time from manual download of 7 updates to the pc back up and running again with desktop showing, it took just under 12 minutes.

Good luck with getting your pc sorted Pete,

Chris.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

That's good news Chris :thumbup:

Mines taken a little longer. I thought it was a virus first of all and didn't want to do anything (like buying my road tax) until I was sure everything had been scanned.
Scans done, and after a couple of hours going around the MS knowledge base and trying a few things I'm now up and running properly again. Turned out to be a non compatible update jamming up the works and I wasted most of my Saturday morning trying to find ways to get it to load.
Oh well! All done now.
Tax is paid for now so all's good in the end :D

Pete
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

It would have been quicker to have gone to the Post Office :lol:

Glad to hear you got there in the end Pete :thumbup:

Chris.